cat vomit on hardood floors

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
We need to either get new carpet or have the hardwood floors under our carpet refinished. My older kitty vomits pretty frequently. It's a chore to clean it up on the carpet. I think it would be easier to deal with on hardwood floors with a good coating. DH think the stomach acid might eat through the coating

Any of you wonderful kitty mommies have the answer to this one?

thanks

I have hardwood floors and rugs. The floors have a buffed wax finish instead of urethane.

I don't think the barf would be an issue with either finish, but for some reason, the cats usually puke on the rugs anyway.

I like the wax finish because you don't have to worry about chipping, and can spot treat any worn spots. It is like doing car wax, and a fairly easy DIY project if you have a little buffer. For the small spots, I just hand buff with an old sock.

I ripped up all my carpet and put in a Pergo type flooring. Nothing has ever caused any problems with it. Not pee, not puke, not poop. LOL And with 13 cats I definitely needed something easy to clean.

My mum has hardwood floors which I am sure over the years has taken a beating, both cats have thrown up/pooed on them on more than one occassion and they are fine. Unfortunately my cat loves to puke up under my mums bed...bet my mum loves me for leaving my cat behind :graucho:

A housemate I shared with had a cat that had issues from both ends and he had hard floors in a lot of places, didnt see an issue.

Im sure most hardwoods are strong enough to deal with a bit of cat puke providing its not sat there for a week.

We have hardwood floors and 10 occassionally vomity cats and no problem, even if the vomit remains undetected long enough to dry up (sorry to be so gross!).

The more important question, to me, is, why is Kitty vomiting so frequently? You might want to get that checked out. Could be food allergies, could be something else. Since we started our cats on a raw diet they hardly vomit at all, except that one cat has a red-meat intolerance, so we try to avoid giving her any (she gets chicken on beef or venison days but somethimes she cheats.)

I am going to be getting a really high-end vinyl flooring - looks and feels like wood, but is built to withstand vomit/poop/pee.....whatever gets thrown (up) at it. I found it after researching pet-friendly flooring. I had wanted hardwood floors, but as I will always have special needs cats, I was advised not to....have to say the flooring sample I have looks amazing.

the wax finish sounds nice but you must have to wax the whole floor periodically as the wax wears off, right?

I have hardwood floors and rugs. The floors have a buffed wax finish instead of urethane.

I don't think the barf would be an issue with either finish, but for some reason, the cats usually puke on the rugs anyway.

I like the wax finish because you don't have to worry about chipping, and can spot treat any worn spots. It is like doing car wax, and a fairly easy DIY project if you have a little buffer. For the small spots, I just hand buff with an old sock.

13 cats! indoors....wow....sounds like Pergo would be a good option for you

I ripped up all my carpet and put in a Pergo type flooring. Nothing has ever caused any problems with it. Not pee, not puke, not poop. LOL And with 13 cats I definitely needed something easy to clean.

thanks Oggers....I also left a kitty with my mom when I moved from NY to California...love your avatar...

My mum has hardwood floors which I am sure over the years has taken a beating, both cats have thrown up/pooed on them on more than one occassion and they are fine. Unfortunately my cat loves to puke up under my mums bed...bet my mum loves me for leaving my cat behind :graucho:

A housemate I shared with had a cat that had issues from both ends and he had hard floors in a lot of places, didnt see an issue.

Im sure most hardwoods are strong enough to deal with a bit of cat puke providing its not sat there for a week.

thank you madamefifi....that's helpful, esp the part about the undetected vomit.
As far as the cause for the throwing up, kitty is about 14 years old (don't know exact age as he was young adult when I got him)....I had the same experience with my older kitty who lived to 18....more trouble with hairballs; Laxatone helps. I don't take this cat the vet unless it's absolutely necessary. He goes nuts....pretty much turns feral at the vet.

We have hardwood floors and 10 occassionally vomity cats and no problem, even if the vomit remains undetected long enough to dry up (sorry to be so gross!).

The more important question, to me, is, why is Kitty vomiting so frequently? You might want to get that checked out. Could be food allergies, could be something else. Since we started our cats on a raw diet they hardly vomit at all, except that one cat has a red-meat intolerance, so we try to avoid giving her any (she gets chicken on beef or venison days but somethimes she cheats.)

sounds interesting....do you have the name of the manufacturer or the product line? In our case we already have wood floors in the main part of the house which need to be refinished but the product you're getting might be of interested for our bathroom.
thanks...and bless you for taking care of the special needs kitties

I am going to be getting a really high-end vinyl flooring - looks and feels like wood, but is built to withstand vomit/poop/pee.....whatever gets thrown (up) at it. I found it after researching pet-friendly flooring. I had wanted hardwood floors, but as I will always have special needs cats, I was advised not to....have to say the flooring sample I have looks amazing.

the wax finish sounds nice but you must have to wax the whole floor periodically as the wax wears off, right?

It depends on what you do to the floor. If you just use a damp mop with water, it won't strip the wax. Vinegar will strip, as will harsher cleaners. I do have rugs scattered around the areas that have high traffic, and it's just me and the kitties walking around.

For the most part, after doing the whole floor, I've only had to spot wax after accidents. Since it's wax, you don't have to "refinish" like you would if you urethane the floor and chip the finish.

If your house was carpeted in the 60's, it may still have the wax finish on the original woods. When I was growing up, it was pretty common for the SAHM moms to banish the kids to their rooms while they waxed the floor, and then turn us loose with socks on to slide around the fresh wax job. :smile:

sounds interesting....do you have the name of the manufacturer or the product line? In our case we already have wood floors in the main part of the house which need to be refinished but the product you're getting might be of interested for our bathroom.
thanks...and bless you for taking care of the special needs kitties

It's gerfloor, and the product range is Senso Rustic.
It's a UK company - the web address www.gerfloorstore.co.uk - might help you find something similar, though.