eBay pet peeves! Post yours!

Buyers who bid and then ask for special favors:

"I will be leaving for vacation to X, can you ship to my hotel?"
"Please ship to my aunt's house, she will then mail it to me to my house here in Amsterdam."
"Can you just ship regular USPS and adjust the shipping?"
"Please don't do signature Confirmation since no one is home during the day."

I mean, I make all my policies so clear in the auctions! That is, when I did sell.

Yeah, So many people just don't get that they're agreeing to your terms as outlined when they place a bid. I swear some people just don't read or they think they're above the rules!

Buyers who are buying used items but still want them pristine even if you have described them well they just have not read the description properly.
Buyers who ask special favours and then never buy or if they buy never pay.
Buyers who expect you to have no lif and expect 24 hour shipping and answering of emails.
My DH was told he should not have a holiday and if he does he should check his email 24 hours a day

Reactions: SakuraSakura
Sellers who list their item for $50 less than retail. Uh, no thanks... with all the hassle of doing business on Ebay, I'll just buy it directly from Louis Vuitton, thank you very much! :smile:

Also sellers who list items as new and unused and then show pictures of an item that has clearly been used.

sellers buying real items and then replacing them with fakes listing them with real receipts, packaging, boxes... and saying its 100 % AUTHENTIC.

(I recently came across a Miu Miu bow bag auction which went for something around 400-500 Euros when it was clearly a fake!!)

PLUS

sellers stating they got the item as a PRESENT from their BOYFRIEND, dad, mum... bought from designerstores -- when its clearly a fake!!

Sellers guaranteeing authenticity and when telling them its a fake - they say: oh i didn't know I am selling for my friend...

(some cases might be actually true but the majority of them I doubt)

I used to play the auction game as a buyer...enter bids here and there. Once, waaaay back when I was new to eBay I got sniped. I was sure I had the dress in the bag, but another buyer had a snipe bid in the last 5 seconds which became the high bid, so they won the dress. I was furious! I even emailed the other buyer, accusing her of stealing "my" dress. Boy was I silly!

Then, I figured, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Sniping is the way to go...no one can bump up the price to feel out your max bid because you bid within the last 5-10 seconds. As a buyer, it's great :smile: As a seller, it's a bummer, since your item will then sell for less because there's no bidding war :P In all honesty, I only buy items that have a Buy It Now that seems reasonable - I'm all about instant gratification :smile:

Buyers who expect you to have no lif and expect 24 hour shipping and answering of emails.

I always ship within 24 hours (unless I'm out of town or it's a weekend, obviously) and answer emails within 12 hrs or less...even as a full time grad student without a smartphone :shrugs: I try not to hold other sellers to my own crazy standards as much, but if the item hasn't arrived within 5 business days, I'll usually send a friendly note asking if they've had the chance to ship yet.

I always ship within 24 hours (unless I'm out of town or it's a weekend, obviously) and answer emails within 12 hrs or less...even as a full time grad student without a smartphone :shrugs: I try not to hold other sellers to my own crazy standards as much, but if the item hasn't arrived within 5 business days, I'll usually send a friendly note asking if they've had the chance to ship yet.

I agree...if the buyer pays quickly, then as a seller, I should ship quickly.

Reactions: SakuraSakura
So, a huge pet peeve of mine is when I have a Buy It Now auction for $300 and someone messages me asking if I would take $250. Um, no. I don't have a Best Offer option. So irritating!

Another pet peeve is when someone has an item for $25 and the shipping is $20 - shipping for such an item (cosmetics) should be $5-6 USPS Priority! I guess that's a way to dodge seller fees? So ridiculous.

I had a cosmetics lot up a couple weeks ago, with a very fair price on limited edition items. After the auction ended after not selling, a potential buyer said they'd be interested in the lot. So, I listed it again. 7 days goes by and no bids. The auction ends again. I get another email from the potential buyer, who seems really flaky now, saying they "might" be interested. I am assuming they wanted me to lower the price or sell outside of eBay. I just ended up keeping the stuff. So annoying! The price was more than fair. If you want it, buy it!

I hate eBay but it's the easiest way to get $$ on bags I don't use any more. I hate the fees! If I have a bag on Bonanza and Feebay, the Feebay bag always sells 1st. Bonanza just doesn't reach as many people as Feebay :sad:

Non-paying bidders used to be a huge pet peeve of mine until I added the immediate payment requirement to my auctions. Eat it non-paying bidders! I'd rather risk losing some buyers that way then losing $$ from a scammer! I figure you don't have the option to pay a couple days later if you buy something from Nordstrom's, so why can't eBay be the same way? Buy now, pay now.

oh...i am sorry...i am one of them.:P
actually recently i sent messages to 2 diff sellers and both of them agreed to my offering. one transaction was outside of feebay and the other seller adjusted the listing with best offer.

my pet peeves was the low ballers. the listing is 250 and only offer 50 with free international shipping. i still get ticked off and now i just ignored them....actually that's one of the reason i stopped selling on feebay.

oh...i am sorry...i am one of them.:P
actually recently i sent messages to 2 diff sellers and both of them agreed to my offering. one transaction was outside of feebay and the other seller adjusted the listing with best offer.

my pet peeves was the low ballers. the listing is 250 and only offer 50 with free international shipping. i still get ticked off and now i just ignored them....actually that's one of the reason i stopped selling on feebay.

Lol...it's all good :smile: I was just in a cranky mood already when I got that email this morning!

- Sellers who start their auctions low and don't put a reserve on to save fees, and then refuse to sell as the item didn't make enough.

- Sellers who charge a crazy amount for postage. I just don't bid on these on principle. Also some sellers charge quite a lot more than others for postage, and then the item turns up with no padding in a recycled envelope. I'm not going to believe that the envelope justified the extra £3 you charged.

- Sellers who don't send items, and then make up a dumb excuse like "I was busy because I was moving house". Perhaps if you knew you were going to move house, that wasn't the best week to list all of your stuff on Ebay.

- People who list items with a vague description and poor photos. I may well want to buy your item, but we'll never know, will we?

- Just a pet peeve of mine: people who don't use any punctuation at all. Doesn't make for easy reading.

- Not really so much a problem, as I've got some great bargains this way, but people who insist on modelling clothes which clearly don't fit them. If something is 2 sizes too small for you, the best way to show it off is probably on a mannequin or a hanger, not yourself.

Happened to me just recently! I got a very good deal out of a chanel purse through bidding. seller also has the same item for BIN. I paid within 10 mins of winning the item then got a refund immediately. Seller told me that item was listed by mistake. I pointed out to her,if it was listed by mistake, how come she has a similar item listed as BIN for (double the price). She told me that was a msitake too and took out the listing for the BIN the same day. Well lo and behold after 3 days, Item is back for sale with even a higher BIN price!

She sent me cancellation request of course I denied it so she covers the fees. It was also the very first time I left a negative feedback. I felt pretty bad but that was the 3rd time she did it to a buyer