How Tragic: Could This Of Been Prevented ?

Jan 23, 2006
Five-year old girl dies in horrifying rodeo parade accident

By PAUL THOMPSON - 23rd February 2007

It has been revealed that Brielle was too young to be allowed in the parade

The tiny body of Brielle Boisvert is loaded in to an ambulance as paramedics rush her to the hospital

With one hand gripping the reigns of her horse, a young beauty pageant winner happily waves to the crowd.
But just moments later Brielle Boisvert was thrown to the ground and trampled to death by two horses pulling a wagon behind her.
The five-year old died in front of hundreds of horrified spectators at the Tuscon Rodeo Parade in Arizona.
Her parents Tom and Donnelle were among the crowd who witnessed the tragedy.

The couple now face possible criminal action after it was revealed Brielle was too young to be allowed in the parade.
Children under the age of eight are not allowed to ride a horse in the annual rodeo celebrations.
Brielle's parents are to be questioned by police to see if they defied the rules so their daughter could take part.
Family friend Monte Lunow said Brielle and her twin sister often took part in shows.

He said: "They are a very close family. The kids are home schooled.

"The mother taught them all music lessons, and the father taught them. They went to church every Sunday."

Brielle had been chosen to ride in the parade after winning the title 'Little Miss Sonoita', a beauty pageant held annually in the small Arizona town.
She was among a group of riders known as Sonoita's Rodeo Royalty.
The accident occurred after two horses pulling an open top wagon behind her horse were suddenly spooked.
They bolted forward, knocking Brielle from her saddle.
As well as being trampled by the horses, eyewitnesses said she was also crushed by one of the wagon wheels.

Shocked spectators lining the streets shielded their eyes, while many screamed in horror.
"People were gasping, screaming," said Diane Hebert, who was near the scene of the accident.

Her husband Henry said: "I saw the wagon coming around the corner out of control. They hit the horse, her horse flared up and the girl fell off."
An off-duty nurse and paramedic in the crowd rushed to help the injured girl, but she died 45 minutes later after being rushed to hospital.
Organisers of the parade have begun an inquiry into how Brielle was allowed to take part.

Bon Johnson, one of the parade organisers, said: "When we receive the applications we have no way of knowing their ages.
"We assume when we get them that they've read the rules."

Mayor of Tuscon Bob Walkup has warned that the accident could mean an end to the 85-year-old tradition.

He said: "We have to consider the impact of this tragedy on the future of the rodeo parade."

The event, billed as the world's longest non-mechanised parade, includes horses, marching bands, folk dancers and beauty queens.
It is one of the highlights of the annual La Fiesta de los Vaqueros rodeo, a week-long event featuring more than 700 contestants from across the US and Canada.
The death was the first in the parade's history, although injuries are not uncommon.
At last year's event, Mayor Walkup bruised an arm and his wife, Beth, suffered a concussion and whiplash when two runaway horses slammed into the rear of a 150-year-old buggy.

My thoughts : she was only five years old there was no way she could ve been able to control the horse had it been startled. Also, the rules does state that the age requirement for this particular parade/ event, is 8.

Why was this over looked by the parents ?

This poor child suffered a horrible death. I cannot begin to imagine the pain the parents are going through.

I hope the Tuscon Rodeo make the necessary changes to its rules to prevent anything like this ever happening again.
What a tragedy.

Dailymailuk

OMG, I am sick after reading this. What a horrible death for such a beautiful little girl & for the parents to see it, OMG! & Now to perhaps face prosecution in the midst of their grief.
We don't know if they defied the rules or not, if they did they have to live with it but surely there should have been some organisers around to stop her ride? It is obvious she is not 8 years old.
It is truly unthinkable & my heart goes out to the family at this tragic time.

goodness gracious.. that must be completely mortifying to not just the family, but the crowd that saw it happen..

of course at this point.. everyone's pointing fingers. is it the parent's fault? is it the rodeo's fault for allowing her? who did it? perhaps parents were bribed with some money if they could get a beauty pageant winner to ride and be one of the youngest? perhaps the girl really wanted to be in the parade? who knows.. but i can see fingers being pointed in all sorts of directions.

goodness gracious.. that must be completely mortifying to not just the family, but the crowd that saw it happen..

of course at this point.. everyone's pointing fingers. is it the parent's fault? is it the rodeo's fault for allowing her? who did it? perhaps parents were bribed with some money if they could get a beauty pageant winner to ride and be one of the youngest? perhaps the girl really wanted to be in the parade? who knows.. but i can see fingers being pointed in all sorts of directions.

Exactly ! just sad, no matter which way you look at it.

that's so sad...:sad:
this is just my personal thoughts: i think that the parents would have had the final decision whether or not their daughter would be allowed in the parade. even if she really wanted to but her parents said 'no' cause she's underage, then she wouldn't have been in the parade. and of course, the organiser should have stopped her as she was underage. but i think that parents are the ones with the most responsibily to look out for their children, especially at such young age. am i making any sense?

This is so tragic:sad: However, it is a combination of bad luck, a small girl on a waaay to big horse and ignoring of rules. I don't know if anybody's to blame for her entering a parade she wasn't old enough to be in in the first place and I'm sure nobody wanted this to happen. My toughts goes out to her parents.

that is just terrible! my horse stable wont even let the kids go on pony rides until they are seven!
horses are very difficult to control, and it takes immense strength calmness and maturity to control a horse that has lost it.
they should not have expected a five year old to have that maturity!
especially in a parade with many risks!

I read this story earlier and my first thought was that a child that young should not be on a horse in a parade! So many things can happen. The entire thing is hard to comprehend and so terribly sad. And age rules or not, the parents are ultimately responsible.