some advice from the stylish & experienced hermes owners. HERBAG?

ok I am posting this - more to clarify my own thoughts rather than anything else. I ve done a little 'research' at HERMES and this is what I think.

mission: a starter HERMES bag

Evelyn: I know there are many funs of this bag, I did not like it al all in person. I dislike the perforated 'H" and the colours I saw, just seemed too bright to be trully elegant. May be I am prejudiced as in the past I ve come across various poorly dressed ladies (in terms of grooming & taste, not money!) and I ve never seen it really shine, so to speak.

Bolide: a beautiful and elegant bag. Gorgeous in the paler colours as well. Theoretically it would fit my lifestyle, but in reality I don't think my style/wardrobe would really suit it. I like to wear the odd bit of vintage and I think the bolide has a modern no nonsense feel and just lacks the romance of the kelly!

Garden Party: ah well, I loved that one! Impossibly elegant as described by one of the experienced ladies here, and sooo practical. The girls who worked at Hermes (SA's in TPF lingo) seemed to be very keen to push it as well. I suspect the bag is a very clever marketing ploy by Hermes, targeting the group who aspires to own a Hermes. At £1800 is not cheap, but for a HERMES is a bit of a steal. I could use that bag, it would fit my lifestyle, I could carry my raincoat in in, work things, yoga clothes, anything. (my wallet can go in the pocket so not worried about it being open) The only question is WHICH ONE OF THE AMAZING COLOURS? I just know one will not be enough...

Plume: I saw a small one at Harrods and is gorgeous. Just the perfect little bag, another impossibly discreet Hermes creation. I need to find out more about it as well as edit my belongingings to fit. Sadly I'd have to change my lifestyle to fit the bag... almost worth it. Any of you ladies owne the small one?

Herbag: The concesus among the ladies here seemed that it is difficult to open and close, so not really a practical bag. I have to admit I do like the look of it though. They only had a sort of stone natural leather combo which is not really for me, I live in london and sometimes I put my bags on the floor... I'd love a black canvas one though (preferably the back pack style) as I like the leather straps and IT IS SHAPED LIKE A KELLY. And whilst I'd love a kelly, iI don't think I have the elegance to pull it of, (sadly nor the funds right now) I will get a kelly - one day - but I need to have a more 'polished'' look so that I carry the bag - rather than allow the bag to carry me. You know the sort of thing - its seen quite a bit with CHANEL. You sort of see this huge shiny bag coming your way and the person who carries it pales into insignificance. ;) There was a black Kelly at the window at selfridges ( any of you ladies know the size and leather?) Gorgeous black polished leather silver lock. So beautiful, like a work of art....:love:

Experienced long term hermes owners, I'd be so grateful for your imput.

I found another 'starter' HERMES bag - a lovely tote named cabag an old thread here: http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/hermes-cabag-pics-as-requested-553170.html Its available in the lovely colour in the photo from Harrods. Its canvas - not leather - but very elegant - and a good 'starter' price... Any ladies own and cherish it long term?

Attachments

• Cabag.jpg
    Cabag.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,036
ok my research is now complete and I am ready for my 'starter' bag. Husband has been warned, closet space has been cleared...Hermes - here I come...ladies - thank you for your invaluable tips and advice - I am about to join you and in due time I will also be an 'experienced' and (I hope - 'stylish') HERMES owner...:smile:

ok my research is now complete and I am ready for my 'starter' bag. Husband has been warned, closet space has been cleared...Hermes - here I come...ladies - thank you for your invaluable tips and advice - I am about to join you and in due time I will also be an 'experienced' and (I hope - 'stylish') HERMES owner...:smile:

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you get! :popcorn:

Hi LadySarah - like you, I find Kelly's the ultimate in class and beauty and hope to own one someday. Hopefully in the not-too-distance future...1-2 years. In the meantime I had considered getting a "starter" H bag and have bee doing lots of reseach. So I really appreciate this thread and all the wonderful advice from helpful H experts!

But a "starter" is still going to cost $$$ and seriously knock back my budget for a Kelly. Plus as you've found, there really is no other H bag with the same feel. I'd been considering a Bolide too, but they're almost as much as a Kelly so why?

So I've decided to get a vintage Ferragamo style that is very similar to the Kelly to "test-drive" it! Make sure I like the shape, can fit enough in it, have an easy time getting in and out of it, etc. That way I can be sure that when I do get my dream Kelly, it will be the right size/color/etc for my lifestyle.

Good luck on your search!

how are you getting on with your 'starter' kelly bag? any photos yet? Cant wait to see the stylish looks you will put together!:cool:

breaking it in ...finally! It went for its first outing at GILBERT SCOTT'S

Attachments

• herbag.jpg
    herbag.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,083
  • discreetlogo.jpg
    discreetlogo.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,021
  • love it.jpg
    love it.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,036
  • smallhermes with thebaroness.jpg
    smallhermes with thebaroness.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,040
  • hermesmodelling1.jpg
    hermesmodelling1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,115
Congratulations ladysarah! I think you made a wonderful decision in getting the
Herbag. It's a fabulous bag, and it looks gorgeous on you. Great color choice too! Have
fun taking her out!