International eBay sites

ttw773

Feb 23, 2008
I live in the United States. Is there any reason why completing a sale via eBay Singapore would be riskier for me (aside from something getting lost in the mail due to the longer travel) than completing the sale via eBay USA?

There is a Bottega Hobo I am interested in, being sold by Bagteria, and she said I would need to purchase the bag via eBay Singapore instead of eBay USA where I saw the auction, in order to lower the price for me...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have no idea and I never thought about that before... I thought that all eBay sites had more or less the same features, protection, etc. I'd also be interested if anyone knows.

Hi!
I think it depends on the payment method and yes, not all ebay sites have the same features. Paypal doesn't operate the same in all countries either but I don't know the specifics. I didn't understand, did you see the bag on ebay USA and she wants you to purchase it from ebay Singapore instead? I'm not familiar with the features of ebay USA but I know that for example, there are certain features the German ebay site doesn't offer so maybe there is actually a reason for this. It does sound strange though.

eBay Singapore is less regulated and may have a higher chance of a fake. Malaysia is a pretty risky spot for fakes. Returns would be difficult and I don't know if you have the same buyer protections.

I think you're treating Singapore and Malaysia as one country when they're not.

Singapore is highly regulated, and they're keeping a strict watch on the counterfeiting industry. But there have definitely been a lot of fakes that came out of Malaysia in the past few years.

I live in the United States. Is there any reason why completing a sale via eBay Singapore would be riskier for me (aside from something getting lost in the mail due to the longer travel) than completing the sale via eBay USA?

There is a Bottega Hobo I am interested in, being sold by Bagteria, and she said I would need to purchase the bag via eBay Singapore instead of eBay USA where I saw the auction, in order to lower the price for me...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't intend to come across as harsh, so if I do, I apologize in advance.:whiteflag:

I think you are creating a problem where none exists.

You know what your protection level is with eVILBAY USA; namely, if it's a fake or not as representented you will get your money back and are only out return shipping fees.

Is the difference in price from the auction on the USA site and foreign site worth taking a risk? I find it the seller's suggestion you buy from a foreign site highly suspicious and I personally would either buy from the USA site or forget it.

I don't intend to come across as harsh, so if I do, I apologize in advance.:whiteflag:

I think you are creating a problem where none exists.

You know what your protection level is with eVILBAY USA; namely, if it's a fake or not as representented you will get your money back and are only out return shipping fees.

Is the difference in price from the auction on the USA site and foreign site worth taking a risk? I find it the seller's suggestion you buy from a foreign site highly suspicious and I personally would either buy from the USA site or forget it.

That's exactly why I am asking the question- to determine if it is a risk at all or or exactly the same from country to country. I have no interest in taking any risks, but I have no experience with any of eBay's foreign sites which was why I thought it was a good question for my TPF ladies:smile: