People Who Make Fun Of You For Your Bags

PurseManiac

Aug 22, 2006
I have not posted on here in quite a while, so please be gentle :smile:
I have a question for all of you people who love handbags as much as I do.

Do you ever annoyed when somebody comments you have a cool purse, and then the conversation begins about where you bought it, how much was it, and then they tell you that they just cannot seem themselves spending over 10 bucks on a handbag, and they basically try to make you feel like an idiot for having a little taste?

I am an admitted purse freak and several people I know make fun of me for having too many and spending too much on a purse. Has this happened to any of you?

It drives me NUTS :nuts:

I hope these ppl aren't your friends! Even though my friends are not bag freaks, they don't make fun of me for being one. Everyone is different. They may be obsessed w/ something you care nothing for, but you won't make fun of them.

Well, depends on the people - my hubby and my dad both think I have lost the plot...but my mum backs me up... but that is personal. anyone else I don't allow to comment on my lifestyle - (I mean who are they????). I am fairly nose up when it comes to that and don't engage in conversations about my possessions.

Well, IMO they are either jealous or don't get it, in either case tell them to mind their business.... (I don't get why someone would spend money on technology, cars, drinks or cigarettes, etc...... well pick your poison)

Oh, honey, I can relate! My mom makes fun of me about it, not in a funny way, but mean-spiritedly. She thinks that she must've made a mistake in raising me because she claims that spending that much on a handbag means I must be vain and shallow.:sad:

I get that on occasion from people, but I tell them -- a purse is something you use every day. Why shouldn't it be beautiful and well-made?? I've had cheap purses...I've thrown out cheap purses. They fall apart.

But my real bags? I'll have them for years, and they'll still be great.

I don't feel bad at all. I just feel pity for those people....

I get it from my family, my co-workers, my friends, basically everyone. I spend money on purses like others might spend on cars, or shoes or eating out, etc. but somehow they don't get it. It doesn't pay to let them upset you, chalk it up to their ignorance or stupidity and you'll be fine.

I get it all the time. Personally I think it is jealousy. I know I really enjoy and love my bags so I don't let it bother me. My husband is cool with my bags and that is all I care about!!

I get it all the time. Personally I think it is jealousy. I know I really enjoy and love my bags so I don't let it bother me. My husband is cool with my bags and that is all I care about!!

I agree - plus my parents understand about it too. Thats all that matters! I dont care about what other people say.

If someone says something like that to me I just say it is my money and that is how I chose to spend it. I do not ask you for money so it is none of your business what I spend my money on. As long as I can pay my bills with no help and am able to pay my credit cards off in full at the end of the month I don't care what people think about the way I spend my hard earned money. The only person that has ANY right to say anything about my spending habits is my husband since 1/2 of what is in the bank is earned by him and he encourages me. He wants me to be happy. He says as long as I work and we are not in debt go for it.

Just bought my 3rd and 4th Gucci the other day and I am totally addicted.

i don't get snide remarks all too often, but sometimes i wonder if i am being judged behind my back about the way i spend my money (not that it's anyone's business!).

my co-workers and friends often compliment me, but some of them have also said they'd never spend more than $250 or so on Coach, Dooney & Bourke, Kate Spade, or other brands in similar price range. i usually don't say anything, though. at least they know my bags are real!