People Who Make Fun Of You For Your Bags

I think it happens to everyone who is on this forum...but it's okay...that's why this forum is here!! To show our love for bags and not be ashamed of it or having to be called spoiled, vain, etc. Forget those types of people. They probably have their own problems/issues and just want to talk about someone else.

i don't get snide remarks all too often, but sometimes i wonder if i am being judged behind my back about the way i spend my money (not that it's anyone's business!).

my co-workers and friends often compliment me, but some of them have also said they'd never spend more than $250 or so on Coach, Dooney & Bourke, Kate Spade, or other brands in similar price range. i usually don't say anything, though. at least they know my bags are real!

siworae~ i like your signature ;)

I don't have too many obvious designer bags (not a logo fan) so it is rare that someone recognizes them. Same with the designer clothes and shoes I have. I don't typically tell people what I spend for things unless I spent very little (on a vintage bag or something) because it is private. If someone asks, I usually say I got it on super sale (which is almost always true) and change the subject.

When I have gotten comments about my spending habits, I usually just jokingly remind them of how I don't judge them over their spending practices and the issue diffuses quickly from there. The only people who do it are "collectors" of non-handbag stuff so they eventually understand.

I get annoyed, but I brush it off...

My boyfriend, friends and most of my family do not understand my obssesion with purses, but it makes me feel good and happy...

Although, when they do get on my nerves for saying something, I do as pghandbag does, remind them of their own spending habits :yes:

Yeah, it happens to me at work...."which bag is THIS one

That's funny! At work they comment on my shoes. Especially the mail room guy since I have had a lot of Zappos boxes delivered to work in the past. Today he walked by my office on the way to delivering something to someone else saying "Where should I deliver these shoes?"

My husbad doesn't understand the handbag thing either. He just admits it's a girl thing and moves on. We give eachother spending budgets and he doesn't understand why I spend so much of "my" money on handbags. I tell him I don't understand why he spends so much on electronic stuff.

If they are asking you questions about where they are buying it it is probably because they like and and want one. I wouldn't be too bothered by it. Many people just don't understand how great accessories can elevate one's look.

People make fun of me, but it's usually my male friends who have known me a long time and know that I have funds to support my habit. They simply use it to make fun of me but in a lighthearted way.

I haven't encountered too many people who will give me a look or ask about my bag and then spin it negatively. Typically, folks have been very intrigued about how much I spend on handbags and they admire them.

Plus, I live in Irvine and grew up in Newport Coast of Orange County, CA, so this type of lifestyle is typical - not too out of the ordinary for women to be toting around luxury brands while doing their grocery shopping.

Sometimes people comment on my bags, but I will never get into how much they cost--that is none of anyone's business. I just change the subject and refuse to go there. We all make choices about what to spend money on, and there are a lot of things I don't spend a lot on!

If someone persists and is rude, I would ask them if they can tell me why they need to know how the cost. Chances are, they won't be able to answer that question. "I'm curious" isn't a good reason.

I get the same remarks about other things also...books especially. My grandmother once put her ideas this way when some gas station attendant told her women should not be driving (this was in a South Asian country more than 60 years ago) "My car, my petrol, my money, my wish!"

Actually most folks don't even know anything about the bags I carry unless I'm carrying a Mono LV..giggle..then they think it's fake...like theirs. :rolleyes: I love it when I run into someone who loves and knows designer bags which is rare in the little town I live in. I know how you guys feel though about the "haters" it is such a downer. I say shake them off and show you stuff with joy. :yahoo:

IDo you ever annoyed when somebody comments you have a cool purse, and then the conversation begins about where you bought it, how much was it, and then they tell you that they just cannot seem themselves spending over 10 bucks on a handbag, and they basically try to make you feel like an idiot for having a little taste?

IIt drives me NUTS :nuts:

Wow does this hit home with me. I brought my MC speedy with me at Christmas time to a family gathering and before the night was over, there were a few remarks made about it by some of the women. Oh well. Like some of you said, at least they are not fake and they have some style and are a little unique. I've always been nuts about purses and shoes. I just discovered Zappo's and have a new pair coming tomorrow:yes: I live in a small community in the midwest and I rarely see anyone with an authentic LV on their arm. We have no boutique in our area and the closest one is in Chicago. So...it's ebay for me.....and I always hold my breath when I open up the box from the mailbox.:nuts:
Dara

always. one friend especially rags on me about that, but not where and how, just why but I know she is only looking out for me and has my best interests at heart, she however doesn't know my bank account and my spending patterns so its understandable. And I always rag on her coffee addiction so it evens out.

yeah! every now and then i run into these people and they just drive me nuts. Sometimes I get somewhat uncomfortable when people keep asking where I got certain clothes/ bags/ shoes and how much they cost, and then they start saying stuff to make you feel like you're being wasteful, or a show off, or make you feel that its inappropriate for me to use such thing at my age.....i'm seriously not trying to be a show off here and i try not to be obvious about the designer that i've wearing (ie. avoid logos)....i'm just naturally attracted to nice things and i cant help it! once you've used the better, its hard to go back to the lesser quality...

I work in a fashion industry but almost all the people around me are young and have limited finances. They roll their eyes at the sight of my latest purchases but they covet them as well. I don't want to flaunt my good fortune when they worry about meeting bills but I just explain that I am at a different place in my life. That they, too, will one day be in my shoes - LOL! I was scrimping and saving and sacrificing for the kids in my day too but thank GAWD that's all over with.