Storing your Hermes bags...

oh man.......I just shove a wad of crumpled tissue paper inside each bag, stick them inside their orange felt sleeper and put them on the shelf in the armoire. I'm in serious need of a climate controlled, air-conditioned, dust filtrated, glass shelved, chandeliered and area rugged walk-in closet the size of a master bedroom with dual chaise lounges and a well stocked wet-bar.

oh well.....a girl can dream...............
Shopmom,

I'm going to put in a martini bar in honor of you, and we can have a purse part to break it in! :nuts:

Reactions: pianolize
shopmom, please send your architect my way. Baggaholic, your closets are a thing of wonder.
LadyEmma, I will dream of your glass encased Hermes stash.

Koukanamiya, I've been stuffing my 35cm Birkins with down-filled boudoir pillows, tucking them into their sleepers and laying them on their sides. My Kellys and smaller bags have rolled towels or air pillows inside and are tucked into their sleepers and into their boxes, again on their backs. As LadyEmma knows, this is not fun. Much better to be able to see one's Hermes treasures.

Granted this thread is several years old and before I became a convert to H. Yesterday I was on the phone looking for a KDT in iris and during the conversation one thing led to the next and the SA said the purses should be sotred on their back sides!

OmG, I'm an unfit mother of purses! I've been storing them in their boxes, stuffed and standing on their feet like soldiers. The idea in putting them on their backs makes sense. Gravity will help the leather sag just like . . . ne'er mind.

Guess what I was up go after that phone conversation ended :smile: I guess this theory would pertain to the Chanels as well. Who also have been standing all these years. (At this rate I need a bigger closet or get the man-child to move out so I can house the purses in his closet!)

Oh yeah -- Jane located an Iris KDT w/palladium! She's a gem of a SA and she's in Washington State!

I feel bad because I'm terrible when it comes to storing my bags. I just put them inthe boxes any kind of way and stack them next to the stacks of shoe boxes.

I blame my parents for making me live on campus in these tiny apartments.

Wow, what an old thread. I've always stored my bags on their little bottoms, in their bags. Some of my smaller Chanels are stored in hard boxes (i.e., med/large flaps,) my former MA jumbo, and my WOCs. The H bags are all on their bases. My closets all have wire systems, so we put wood shelving in to protect the bags. I cannot store my bags in their boxes, it would just be too much trying to find whatever bag I was trying to find. I do keep the boxes stored in case a sale should happen! The hard based bags do not need to lay down on their respective pillows in their orange boxes, IMHO. I like to use the bags so I keep them available and my scarves are kept in boxes easily identifiable by their storage system (in boxes with cards/photo of scarf on box.)

I take care of my bags. Bags are always stuffed and in dustbags when not in use. I always use the felt for my Birkin and Kelly. Also, I use shapers and have custom cut cardboard and felt pieces to form the handles and to keep hardware from rubbing on leather/fabric/canvas.

Proper storage keeps them in tip top shape. And, bags of mine that are almost 15 years old are often mistaken as new.

I take care of my bags. Bags are always stuffed and in dustbags when not in use. I always use the felt for my Birkin and Kelly. Also, I use shapers and have custom cut cardboard and felt pieces to form the handles and to keep hardware from rubbing on leather/fabric/canvas.

Proper storage keeps them in tip top shape. And, bags of mine that are almost 15 years old are often mistaken as new.

I hope you are not implying that I and the rest of us are not taking proper care of our handbags. I have a collection that spans decades and various designers. There is not one bag that is stored in any of my closets or cabinets that is misshapen or dried out. Each bag is stored in a sleeper bag, including my old, vintage Coach and Dooney and Bourke bags. The ones from the 70s. And, when the occasion calls for it, I still use some of those old babies.
So, my storage system works for me and my closets do just fine. If I can store my clothes in my closets, silks, knits, cashmere, etc, my leather goods do just fine, thank you.

So funny, I remember this thread from way back when! And I was about to do a search on "Birkin" and "storage", now that I'm the proud mama of Miss B.

But my problem, since I got her in mid-Dec, is that she isn't out of my sight (or my grasp) for very long. I've been using her everyday, so there isn't really a chance to put her in storage. When I come home, she goes straight onto a very clean kitchen counter (or the table in the mudroom), and then gets picked back up when I go back out. In between should I be putting her back in the box? On her side? She's togo, and so far keeping her shape very nicely. I'm looking forward to having her for the rest of my life. . . and I'm absolutely in love : )

Reactions: Cascadian
Assuming your home or apt has heat in the winter and AC when needed, your bags will be fine. The only place I've heard of people having trouble is Singapore.