How to learn more about your bidder and spot the good ones from the bad...

feedback as a seller - how does it look. If people like them as a seller, then they are probably a nice buyer.

From you comment- I always thought this would be true; until two of my worst buyers happened to be very experienced sellers. One had 5000+ seller feedback- this international buyer bought my item and even after I sent her a tracking number promptly she emailed me everyday asking where her bag is. When it finally arrrived her country, she said she had no idea she was supposed to pay custom duties and told me she won't pay for it. The second buyer was just outright crazy and threantened me to report me to the Canadian version of FBI- she was a very experienced seller as well.

^^Indeed! But still, never hurts to get all the tips in writing ;)

Didn't say it doesn't. :biggrin:

Just pointing out that a lot of it is common sense. To me, that means that many (not all) eBay issues/problems can be avoided with plain common sense. But, for some reason, I don't know if it's kuz people get so excited about buying or listing something, many seem to turn it off and go against it.

Thanks Karmenzsofia, marie-lou and Pigalle74.

Pigalle74, I think you had a couple of pretty difficult buyers. Someone with 5000 feedbacks knows the game, they were testing you.

As Karmenzsofia said, a lot of it is commonsense. But as marie-lou said too, it doesn't hurt to write it down. We have members with lots of different skill levels here in terms of computer use and buying and selling experience. Auctions do raise tension too, in a good and bad way!!

Some members also have the 30 day restriction. Having been through that and out the other end, I know how frustrating it can be if someone interferes with your auction. If you really needed the money at the time, the 30 days can be an eternity. Unreliable bidders and a 30 day restriction is a recipe for stress! So I hope that this helps some people.

:goodpost:

feedback as a seller - how does it look. If people like them as a seller, then they are probably a nice buyer.

From you comment- I always thought this would be true; until two of my worst buyers happened to be very experienced sellers. One had 5000+ seller feedback- this international buyer bought my item and even after I sent her a tracking number promptly she emailed me everyday asking where her bag is. When it finally arrrived her country, she said she had no idea she was supposed to pay custom duties and told me she won't pay for it. The second buyer was just outright crazy and threantened me to report me to the Canadian version of FBI- she was a very experienced seller as well.

pigalle74, that's why I don't allow international buyers to bid on my items.

Pigalle74, did these people pass the "feedback left for others" test? Did they routinely leave nice feedback for both sellers and buyers?

By the way, my filters that knock out people with unpaid item strikes caught people with hundreds of stars and long term memberships.

:goodpost:

pigalle74, that's why I don't allow international buyers to bid on my items.

mizsunshyne, selling only domestically works for you, but 99.9% of my sales are international. 98% of them are great. Sometimes you can get a better price by selling internationally. But make sure you have the customs declaration in your listing. :P

mizsunshyne, selling only domestically works for you, but 99.9% of my sales are international. 98% of them are great. Sometimes you can get a better price by selling internationally. But make sure you have the customs declaration in your listing. :P

I actually don't bother with international even if I could possibly get a better price by selling that way. I feel safer knowing that I don't have to worry about my package traveling overseas, outrageous shipping fees, customs, etc. I just like to keep things simple. Of course, I do state in my listing that I don't ship internationally and only in the continental US. But that's from my personal experience and preference. For others, it may be different.

Thanks Karmenzsofia, marie-lou and Pigalle74.

Pigalle74, I think you had a couple of pretty difficult buyers. Someone with 5000 feedbacks knows the game, they were testing you.

As Karmenzsofia said, a lot of it is commonsense. But as marie-lou said too, it doesn't hurt to write it down. We have members with lots of different skill levels here in terms of computer use and buying and selling experience. Auctions do raise tension too, in a good and bad way!!

Some members also have the 30 day restriction. Having been through that and out the other end, I know how frustrating it can be if someone interferes with your auction. If you really needed the money at the time, the 30 days can be an eternity. Unreliable bidders and a 30 day restriction is a recipe for stress! So I hope that this helps some people.
True. I think it's great that you've taken the time to put this info together and post it. I expect it will help a lot of people. :yes:

Pigalle74, did these people pass the "feedback left for others" test? Did they routinely leave nice feedback for both sellers and buyers?

By the way, my filters that knock out people with unpaid item strikes caught people with hundreds of stars and long term memberships.

ITA. I never buy from or sell to someone without checking the feedback they have left for others and without talking to them via email at least once. One can tell a lot about people based on how they express themselves, so I think this is as important, sometimes more, than the feedback they receive.