tPF Connection and Your Hermes Store

I absolutely don't want my SA to know any of my business - not where I hang out on the internet or for that matter where I go out to dinner - I don't want to encourage gossip in the boutique about me or what I buy. On the other hand, I don't want a Birkin so I don't have any reason to develop a special relationship with them. In a silly way which I don't quite understand, I dread running into the SA's outside of the boutique at a restaurant or something - kind of like running into your bra fitter I guess.

Hermes does not view itself as a purveyor of handbags first and everything else second. The Purse Forum seems to attract those who mainly want handbags, so Hermes is not going to be impressed by The Purse Forum, IMHO.

^^ this sounds so weird though. It's like a dichotomy of thought and action. They disassociate themselves from tPF but yet welcome the sky-high record sales? Not just in bags but also RTW! How else did they think people from all over the world get their H news and knowledge from? It's every count an advantage to them.

PS: not true .... look at all the enthusiasm about their gorgeous scarves and accessories

^^ this sounds so weird though. It's like a dichotomy of thought and action. They disassociate themselves from tPF but yet welcome the sky-high record sales? Not just in bags but also RTW! How else did they think people from all over the world get their H news and knowledge from? It's every count an advantage to them.

PS: not true .... look at all the enthusiasm about their gorgeous scarves and accessories
It's the hypocrisy of most high end brands - they want to maintain an air of exclusivity and discretion and yet at the same time they want to maximize their profits. It's a bit of a catch 22 really, because a large part of the Hermes appeal is that it's an exclusive brand for people with high discretionary income and taste. Yet the more people know about Hermes, the more the brand mystique is diluted.

Mrs.S - I hope this comes out the right way because I don't want to sound critical of you at all, but there are many other reasons someone might have for wanting anonymity, especially with regard to Hermes.

First, one of the more obvious aspects of Hermes in general is the discreet nature of the house - it doesn't really lend itself to this type of environment to begin with. So while it's absolutely invaluable and something those of us who participate truly value, it's not necessarily something you'd choose to discuss with certain more low-key or veteran SA's.

And while I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, there are those of us who maintain the exact same persona online as we do in real life, but STILL greatly desire our privacy for many reasons. Obviously safety is one concern (as was already astutely pointed out), but sometimes people just don't wish to be identified and value their privacy in general - in their everyday lives as well. It's an extreme overgeneralization to necessarily assume that means they have something to hide - it could just mean that they'd like to maintain some level of the discretion on which Hermes prides itself.

Or we could just be shy.:smile:
Ditto!:yes:

What does Hermes think of tPF really? I read in the past that Hermes management disapproves of its staff coming here but with their record sales month after month, I wonder if there is a change in tune??? It's hard to ignore the presence of a very strong forum, don't you think?
To understand hermes I think one needs to understand the mentality of the original Hermes customer..a very "quiet" discret aristocrat, who would never want to show off their wealth, and the original Hermes...the store, discreetly, privately, custom making items by special order,...they only grew out of need and demand, and as the years went by more people could afford to buy it, Hermes expanded the collections. Hermes would not want to be "over powered" by popular demand, the original family still owns the majority of stock, and hold to the old principle. Sure it's nice that this forum contributes to the bottom line,...but Hermes survived for over a hundred years and did just fine without a forum to discuss the goods. ...just my 2 cents.:smile:

Mrs.S - I hope this comes out the right way because I don't want to sound critical of you at all, but there are many other reasons someone might have for wanting anonymity, especially with regard to Hermes.

First, one of the more obvious aspects of Hermes in general is the discreet nature of the house - it doesn't really lend itself to this type of environment to begin with. So while it's absolutely invaluable and something those of us who participate truly value, it's not necessarily something you'd choose to discuss with certain more low-key or veteran SA's.

And while I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, there are those of us who maintain the exact same persona online as we do in real life, but STILL greatly desire our privacy for many reasons. Obviously safety is one concern (as was already astutely pointed out), but sometimes people just don't wish to be identified and value their privacy in general - in their everyday lives as well. It's an extreme over-generalization to necessarily assume that means they have something to hide - it could just mean that they'd like to maintain some level of the discretion on which Hermes prides itself.

EXACTLY! You hit the nail right on the head. Thanks, I couldn't have said this better myself. Thanks style 101.

My SA knows about our "mysterious internet knowledge site", not that the NYC girls have mentioned it to him, but he knows. He never asks questions and when we send him a new client it benefits him and he never asks "how do you know so and so" he thinks it's cool that we all help eachother (in a discreet way) ;)

Discretion is key.

And while I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, there are those of us who maintain the exact same persona online as we do in real life, but STILL greatly desire our privacy for many reasons. Obviously safety is one concern (as was already astutely pointed out), but sometimes people just don't wish to be identified and value their privacy in general - in their everyday lives as well. It's an extreme overgeneralization to necessarily assume that means they have something to hide - it could just mean that they'd like to maintain some level of the discretion on which Hermes prides itself.

Very well-written, Style101! :smile: Thank you...your post totally reflect my thoughts.

I think it is okay when one choose to disclose their tPF connection to their store on their own accord. But it is a totally different matter when someone else, after reading what you've posted or PMed, goes to your store & start asking the SAs/Store Manager to reveal your identity, & discussed what you've bought, your SO, your wishlist, what bag/H item you're selling, blah blah blah...I don't know about the rest of you, but to me, this is definitely not graciousness.

I think violated is the right word to describe how some members felt.

I'm generally very hesitant about revealing my identity, but in this case it has more to do with horrible personal experience where people actually STALKED me and threatened me once they figured out my real name. Because of that, I prefer to remain anonymous and I do not give out my name unless absolutely necessary. I feel that internet is all in good fun and such, but when it starts turning real life upside down, then it becomes too much. So in my case, it's an extreme case of paranoia due to some nightmarish experience in the past.