What do you feel when...

May 12, 2010
...you see someone carrying a fake Chanel purse?

I'm sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseaum here on tPF, but since I am relatively new, I thought I'd get some new, updated opinions from you all :smile: Or maybe your opinions haven't changed at all! :P

The reason why this topic came to my mind is because I am currently traveling abroad in Canada, and I have seen quite a number of fakes everywhere I have gone so far! Fakes didn't bother me all that much in the past, but since I've joined tPF and have seen all the hard work our members put into authenticating...it's really been irking me! Also, some of our members (including myself) make sacrifices to be able to save up for an authentic Chanel...so it's sort of frustrating to see people proudly strut a fake.

Dahhh, I don't know...am I being too sensitive?!

I don't really notice if someone's carrying a fake. It just doesn't catch my eye. I only have eyes for real Chanels. I'm kinda stalkerish when I see a Chanel I like ---I'll compliment & ask where/when it was purchased, then try to see if I can locate it. As long as I'm carrying the real deal, I don't really care what the other person is doing. To each her own...

I don't really notice if someone's carrying a fake. It just doesn't catch my eye. I only have eyes for real Chanels. I'm kinda stalkerish when I see a Chanel I like ---I'll compliment & ask where/when it was purchased, then try to see if I can locate it. As long as I'm carrying the real deal, I don't really care what the other person is doing. To each her own...

tell me why I act the same way. Sometimes I feel like I am too stalkerish and it makes me seem like I'm interested in the gal instead of the bag. :sweatdrop:

In Rome, sooooo many people had fakes and it was normal. Some people think it's just crazy to spend over 3k for handbags (which it is :greengrin:smile: so they opt for the chic for cheap.

But OP, don't worry too much. You feel pride and accomplishment in knowing you saved and hunted for your authentic one, so that's all that matters!

i hunt the fakes down ... i can spot them a mile away. especially here in Tennessee, not many people actually have real Chanel. It's pretty disgusting. I am talking wealthy women that come from a lot of money carrying fakes. I feel like barfing every time that I see one. I almost want to stop them and be like, "why on Earth are you carrying that hideous fake bag ..." Fake bags make me want to break out in hives ... yuck yuck yuck

i hunt the fakes down ... i can spot them a mile away. especially here in Tennessee, not many people actually have real Chanel. It's pretty disgusting. I am talking wealthy women that come from a lot of money carrying fakes. I feel like barfing every time that I see one. I almost want to stop them and be like, "why on Earth are you carrying that hideous fake bag ..." Fake bags make me want to break out in hives ... yuck yuck yuck

It does bother me when I see people carrying fakes but it bother me the most when I see people who's apparently wealthy is carrying a fake. It makes me wonder if all the blingy jewellry she's wearing is fake too! :sick:

queenofchic, I'm absolutely with you on what you said! Amen!

I notice if a Chanel is fake but I don't give it much thought after that. People are always going to wear fakes, especially if they like the style of the designer bag but cant afford it. Can you blame someone for wanting to look fashionable? I don't condone or partake in anything fake, but I can see why there's a huge market for them.

I don't really understand the correlation between one working hard to save up for Chanel and other people toting around fakes. Are you concerned that their bags are being passed off as authentic and it somehow lessens the value of your hard earned money and your bag? You've worked hard to save up for yours and you know yours is authentic. That's all that should matter in the end, right?

Last edited:
Panda_usc you are right on. People with fake bags or real bags that are identical to mine don't bother me, when I go out and carry my bags-it makes me that happy-it's "la vie en rose." :flowers:

queenofchic, I'm absolutely with you on what you said! Amen!

I notice if a Chanel is fake but I don't give it much thought after that. People are always going to wear fakes, especially if they like the style of the designer bag but cant afford it. Can you blame someone for wanting to look fashionable? I don't condone or partake in anything fake, but I can see why there's a huge market for them.

I don't really understand the correlation between one working hard to save up for Chanel and other people toting around fakes. Are you concerned that their bags are being passed off as authentic and it somehow lessens the value of your hard earned money and your bag? You've worked hard to save up for yours and you know yours is authentic. That's all that should matter in the end, right?

People are always going to wear fakes, especially if they like the style of the designer bag but cant afford it.
The thing is, most of the fakes I have seen recently are not even a style Chanel has ever made (and I think I can be bold enough to say that they never will, either). What they are emulating is not Chanel's style, I think; the presence of the double CC's and the inherent status that comes with owning such a bag is more important.

Are you concerned that their bags are being passed off as authentic and it somehow lessens the value of your hard earned money and your bag?
Hehe, that was an excellent analysis of my reaction! :P This is most likely the root of it. But if I may present the following analogy: if you work hard in school to get good grades, and you notice that your peers are attaining the same grades by cheating - wouldn't you feel frustrated?

I don't get why people wearing fake bags esp the ugly fakes. But if I see one I'd just stare. But when I see a real one I stare as well lol. As long as I am carrying a real one I m good.

I seriously cannot tell a fake apart from a real, unless it is pretty obvious. :P But I know mine is real and looks amazing and that's all that matters to me.

I don't like it when people obviously stare at my bag though. Kinda makes me feel uncomfortable.

It does bother me when I see people carrying fakes but it bother me the most when I see people who's apparently wealthy is carrying a fake. It makes me wonder if all the blingy jewellry she's wearing is fake too! :sick:
There's a time I saw a lady who was wearing all those blingy jewellry (a cross in jade with blingy stones) and designer sun specs with all her nails done with nail arts. But her Chanel jumbo had DOUBLE flaps! :throwup: