Paypal court ordered wage garnishment!

Only a court order would authorize the employer to garnish wages, but I don't see where it says he knew about the court fees, etc. Maybe he missed the court summons while ignoring calls, collection notices, whatever.
OP: Do you know if he fought this in court?

And, then again, maybe he did try to scam the buyer with faulty equipment, not something the IT guy would admit.
Because the OP said she talked to him about it. If he didn't know about it, wouldn't he have said something instead of explaining why he had to pay it? :huh:

Without a court order a wage garnishment can not be forced. He must have missed the trial:: I think the way paypal handing the situations is quite fair, as there are scammers out there that are getting away with what they are doing everyday and this is the only way to teach them a lesson and also recover funds. I feel bad for IT guy, however there is a positive side of paypal doing when it comes to real scammers

I think the way paypal handing the situations is quite fair, as there are scammers out there that are getting away with what they are doing everyday and this is the only way to teach them a lesson and also recover funds.

Paypal's method of operation makes it exceedingly easy for scam buyers to rip off honest sellers.

Because the OP said she talked to him about it. If he didn't know about it, wouldn't he have said something instead of explaining why he had to pay it? :huh:

That's an assumption, though. Knowing about PP or a collection agency trying to collect the money from him is not the same as knowing about a court order.

That's an assumption, though. Knowing about PP or a collection agency trying to collect the money from him is not the same as knowing about a court order.
You can only have your wages garnished after a court order. She talked to him after she received the order. If he didn't know about it, wouldn't he have been confused instead of going on to explain why he got it and tell her that the collection agency was calling him at least once a day?

It boggles me that the someone can explain how something came to be, but not know of its existence at the same time. If he was in the dark, wouldn't he have said "what order?" when she told him she received it?

Last edited:
We don't have a transcript of the conversation. We don't know if he was surprised about the court order and garnishing of wages or he knew it was coming. Ultimately, I don't care about that as much as I care about whether or not he tried to fight this in court. That's what I'm wondering about.

I haven't heard of too many cases of people fighting PP, partially due to the California venue rules.

I'd be more interested in knowing if there was a court case between the buyer and seller.

This is what I found out, he must have been served and notified
A Garnishment is a court ordered seizure of typically up to 25% of your salary from each paycheck. A creditor takes you to court, and obtains a judgment to authorize the procedure. Usually, if you get served, you will have your wages garnished, so be prepared. If you were in financial trouble before, it will soon get worse, as you lose 25% of your pay check. You must be served to be notified of the case pending

i don't think that is accurate, me-butterfly.
when you are served, that is for the court appearance and you don't get garnished until the judgement. so you do have the opportunity to defend your case. if your co-worker literally didn't show up for the court date, then he likely lost on that accord. which was pretty stupid on his part, because if he wasn't going to defend himself and explain the story, then he should have just paid paypal. he'll be paying more now and has a judgement against him.

i used to serve summons and subponeas, so i am aware of how it works. so many people tried to dodge getting served, but i tried to explain to them that without being served, they'd not know when/where the court date was to go and defend themselves. you are getting sued whether you accept the papers or not. the papers are just letting you know the court date.

anyhow, i think there are lots of chances to straighten things out and it doesn't go from paypal issue to garnishment. you really have to ignore a lot of important contact in between for that to happen.

Yes that is what I meant actually, because he seems to be surprised with the situation! one will have to be served first just to know that he is being sued and he should go to the trails date as states in the letter.... then there is the JUDGMENT, if the judgment went against him then they can garnish his wages...that is why I am thinking may be he did not show up and lost the case!

I guess they had his Social # thats how they were able to go after him? People should really boycott paypal because sooner or later a scammer will say its a fake, SNAD, or some other BS and they will come after you..