Washington Post: Devi Kroell bags "in" for 2007

Every New Years' day, the Washington Post runs its famous "in/out" list--an insidery, clever (some would say too clever!) list of what's hot and what's not in pop culture, politics, music, fashion, etc. For what it's worth, the list mentions these two handbag lines:

OUT: Pierre Hardy bags
IN: Devi Kroell bags

THE LIST: What's In and Out for 2007 (washingtonpost.com)

Interesting list...some of the things on there aren't that innovative, but it was fun to read nonetheless.

Saw NM has a smaller line store called Cusp - anyone been there, they mentioned 1 opened at Tysons Corner in Virigina...I was there in June, but obsviously they weren't open then....just curios....

I found it interesting that the Post cited Devi Kroell bags, since I rarely see that line discussed on tPF. They first came out in 2004 and are best known for big slouchy snakeskin hobos.

This is a short piece that ran recently in Vogue...

Vogue

November 2006

DEVI KROELL

BYLINE: JANE HERMAN, Fashion Writer

In the spring of 2004, Devi Kroell debuted her collection of disco-metallic snakeskin satchels, and fashion lovers followed as if they'd been charmed. These simple sacks stitched of opulent skins were made even more hysterically cool with their then-innovative finishes of platinum, gold, and rusty copper: a giant shimmery-pink python hobo? It was unheard of, and an instant It.

Three years, five namesake collections, and a store in East Hampton later, Kroell, who won Swarovski's Perry Ellis Award for emerging talent in accessories design at the CFDA awards last June, is still making this signature bag by the hundreds. It's that good. But she's taken its concept-a simple silhouette that's totally outrageous otherwise-further. In Kroell's latest lines, the most basic shapes are thrown over the top. Wooden clutches are inlaid with oversize multicolored Swarovski crystals. Strappy sandals are made of Nile perch, a fish (with especially soft, suedelike skin) native to the river it's named after. Egg-shaped minaudiEres are done in karung, a water-snake skin that is tight in texture and irregularly spotted. And silver-fox vests for fall, inspired by Dynasty and the excess glamour of the eighties, come in punk-rock colors like acid-green and shock-orange. All of Kroell's materials-Astrakhan, ostrich, anaconda, and bull's belly-are treated (i.e., tie-dyed, tanned, or sprayed with color) until they're almost unrecognizable. "I don't want them to look as they do in their natural state," Kroell says. "I always want to push it."

Here are some pics from devikroell.com.

Attachments

• classic_python3.jpg
    classic_python3.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 98
  • classic_python5.jpg
    classic_python5.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 66
  • classic_python4.jpg
    classic_python4.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 57
  • classic_python1.jpg
    classic_python1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 60
I read the ins and outs list in the Washington Post today too (or was it yesterday? I can't remember!). Anyway, I can understand why some people would like the Devi Kroell bags, but they're not my style. I am definately a more traditional, main-stream kind of lady.