Does it matter who initiates an eBay transaction cancellation?

nova_girl

O.G.
Dec 13, 2008
I did a search and while I did learn a lot about canceling an eBay transaction I still have a couple of questions and I hope you guys can help.

I sold an item nine days ago. The terms of the auction stated that payment was expected within 4 days of winning the auction and that if payment was not received within 7 days I have the right to file a NPB claim. I sent an invoice and several reminders to the buyer but payment was never made nor did the seller respond to my messages. Today I received a message from the buyer that they would like to cancel the transaction. No reason was given for wanting to cancel the sale.

Since I have not shipped the item yet and another potential buyer has already expressed interest in it if this buyer fell through I don't really have a problem canceling the transaction. My first question is, does it matter who initiates the cancellation? I don't know if both the buyer and seller can initiate it and if it matters who initiated it if there were to be some kind of problem in the future (for example, if she tries to say I never shipped it, etc).

Also, I have a second question regarding the etiquette in dealing with the potential buyer. I told them I would let them know if it does in fact become available. Assuming they're still interested, would it be rude to tell them that I will be re-listing the item and they are free to bid on it (they did not bid last time but they did ask me a question prior to the end of the auction so I'm pretty sure they intended to bid) or did I in some way imply that I would sell to them?

I'm new to selling on eBay but have learned so much from you guys already. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this matter :hugs:

if the original buyer wants to cancel the sale, you can initiate a "cancel transaction" claim. This will generate an email from ebay to the buyer and all they have to do is accept the cancellation and it'll be done and over with.

As for the interested buyer, just send them a message you want to sell to them and work it out from there.

if the original buyer wants to cancel the sale, you can initiate a "cancel transaction" claim. This will generate an email from ebay to the buyer and all they have to do is accept the cancellation and it'll be done and over with.

As for the interested buyer, just send them a message you want to sell to them and work it out from there.

I'd keep the new-buyer transaction on ebay to prevent any issues with lack of protection... but make sure you get your fees back unless you can offer a 2nd offer to the other buyer.

Thank you bunny and nancy. It doesn't look like there will be any negative consequences from me initiating the cancellation so that's what I'll do. I will also let the potential buyer know that I will be re-listing the item and she is welcome to bid on it there if she's still interested.

Thank you :flowers:

Thank you bunny and nancy. It doesn't look like there will be any negative consequences from me initiating the cancellation so that's what I'll do. I will also let the potential buyer know that I will be re-listing the item and she is welcome to bid on it there if she's still interested.

Thank you :flowers:

It is only the seller who can file a NPB (non paying bidder) and there are no consequences to a seller for doing this. The seller can choose the "mutual agree to cancel" option. Ebay will send a message to the buyer to get concurrance. (Note: If the buyer does not concur, the seller does not get the final value fees returned.) Nobody gets a strike. If the seller chooses the "no longer want to deal with this deadbeat" option she must wait four days to file and four days to close. The seller gets the Final Value Fees returned. The buyer gets a strike.

You are following good advice in re-listing the item. Hope it all works out.

It is only the seller who can file a NPB (non paying bidder) and there are no consequences to a seller for doing this. The seller can choose the "mutual agree to cancel" option. Ebay will send a message to the buyer to get concurrance. (Note: If the buyer does not concur, the seller does not get the final value fees returned.) Nobody gets a strike. If the seller chooses the "no longer want to deal with this deadbeat" option she must wait four days to file and four days to close. The seller gets the Final Value Fees returned. The buyer gets a strike.

You are following good advice in re-listing the item. Hope it all works out.

Thank you. I've gone ahead and started the cancellation process and am just waiting for her to agree with it. I'm not expecting that to happen for a few days though because she seems to take her time!

After 7 days it'll automatically end and the original buyer can't pay for it even if he/she wants to.

It's a lame process...I've done it a couple of time. Good luck!

After 7 days it'll automatically end and the original buyer can't pay for it even if he/she wants to.

It's a lame process...I've done it a couple of time. Good luck!

I'm sure the process will end before she even responds to the cancellation request. I've only been selling for about a month and I was hoping it would be a while before I had to deal with this kind of thing. No such luck lol.

Please be aware that if you choose mutual cancellation and the buyer chooses NOT to end the transaction, you are out the final value fees and cannot go back and file a non paying bidder strike.

Please be aware that if you choose mutual cancellation and the buyer chooses NOT to end the transaction, you are out the final value fees and cannot go back and file a non paying bidder strike.

Ah, that's the kind of thing I was worried about and why I started this thread, but maybe I didn't word it correctly. Of course I prefer for her to agree to cancel so I can get the final value fee back, but since it's not a big ticket item (I think the fee would be around $3.00 or something) I can absorb that and take it as a lesson learned. Thank you!

Yes, but the problem is that even though she initiated the request, she can still refuse to accept the cancellation. And then you can't initiate an NPB strike, can't recoup your fees, and Ebay will tell you you need to complete the transaction. You also leave yourself open to negative feedback for 60 days. (I have just gone through this with a buyer who is refusing to pay for shipping - I thought I would be nice and do a mutual cancellation and he refused... last time I'll be "nice"!)

In this case, it may not be worth it, but still something to keep in mind. You get EITHER mutual cancellation OR an NPB strike. You can't comments the strike after a cancellation has been refused. Ebay considers the case closed and the obligation on the seller to conclude the transaction.

So in the future if a buyer says they want to cancel the transaction and I'm ok with that then I should ask them to initiate it? And regarding the current case, if she doesn't agree to cancel would it help that I have the email from her (on eBay) asking for the cancellation or would that not matter?

Ugh, I just want this to be over! Thanks again for everyone's help.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe that once a listing is closed, the buyer cannot initiate a process to cancel the transaction. I believe the only things a buyer can do is file a claim for an item not received or significantly not as described. I believe the buyer has to request that the seller file to cancel the transaction. The seller can choose between either the "mutual withdrawl" or the "no longer want to deal/NPB strike". So to answer the OP's question, unless you are really confident the buyer is going to live up to their part of the deal (i.e. respond to the "NPB/mutual" when ebay requests it), it is better to wait until close it as a "NPB/strike".

Thanks northerndancer. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that either my buyer agrees to the cancellation or that it automatically closes due to her non-response.