Patent Leather????

dawnqueenb69

Feb 9, 2006
Sorry to ask such a stupid question..But I just bought my 1st Patent Leather bag...I was just curious to know how patent ages? Doe's it still look shiney after awhile? It seems to be a bag that doesn't take alot of maintence.Like alot of you with your bags, I love this bag and want to make sure I know how to take care of it....I'm not worried about weather damage because I've seen a few Threads on how Great patent leather is in snow and rain!!!! TIA

I think it is normal for it to dull over time. As far as I know there is nothing special you need to do to take care of it. It is an easy leather.

On the Care card for Patent Leather, it states that it will dull over time.
The SAs say to use a soft cloth to wipe the patent with!!

Is it the Patent Poppy???

Lynne :biggrin:

Patent will fade in time...at least that's what my caretag says. I've been using my Zoe patent wallet pretty heavily since I've had it without any noticeable wear, though...and I'm pretty tough on it. Not super tough, but I really don't baby my wallets like I should...

The caretag for my patent zoes says that the shine will fade over time, but I remember someone posting care instructions for patent. It involved vasoline I think. I'll see if I can find it. Other than that the care of patent leather is pretty easy, just wipe clean! Just be careful of scratching it, as that will show up blatantly, where as a scratch on normal leather can usually be rubbed until it fades or disappears completely.

The caretag for my patent zoes says that the shine will fade over time, but I remember someone posting care instructions for patent. It involved vasoline I think. I'll see if I can find it. Other than that the care of patent leather is pretty easy, just wipe clean! Just be careful of scratching it, as that will show up blatantly, where as a scratch on normal leather can usually be rubbed until it fades or disappears completely.
Thank you for the info....

Patent leather will lose it's gloss over time. It's pretty easy to care for. Do not leave your patent leather bag in direct sunlight or heat, it will crack the bag and discolor it. Also do not leave it in severly cold temperatures, as that can also causes cracking. Patent can get color transfer and stains, and if this happens they can settled under the gloss and become impossible to remove. That's all I can think of for patent info! Congrats again on your new Poppy!

Patent leather will lose it's gloss over time. It's pretty easy to care for. Do not leave your patent leather bag in direct sunlight or heat, it will crack the bag and discolor it. Also do not leave it in severly cold temperatures, as that can also causes cracking. Patent can get color transfer and stains, and if this happens they can settled under the gloss and become impossible to remove. That's all I can think of for patent info! Congrats again on your new Poppy!
Thanks, Tuptake2006...Shouldn't be a problem though as long as keep it within temp.s and watch out for color transfer....I appreciate this information....;)

Sorry to differ with a previous poster in regards to Vaseline. I recently did some internet research on this. Various leather care product websites cite that Vaseline will attract dust etc. There is a specific product for this. Sorry I don't have link as I'm on my iPhone. One can search for 'patent leather restorer' or something to that effect.

I don't know why I never read that care card, but now I'm kind of bummed to hear that it will likely fade. I have a graphite Sabrina that just wouldn't be the same without its shine. Does anyone have patent bags that have faded? Does it take a long time? Over one year? Five years?

I don't know why I never read that care card, but now I'm kind of bummed to hear that it will likely fade. I have a graphite Sabrina that just wouldn't be the same without its shine. Does anyone have patent bags that have faded? Does it take a long time? Over one year? Five years?
I know...I love the shine that my spotlight has...But I will make sure that she's not in the sun for too long...I can imagine how Patent can crack from the heat(sun). I'm just going to enjoy and take good care of her!!!!:P