Advice Please

Mittens34

Aug 18, 2007
I always seem to be asking questions on this great forum. I love DVF dresses and I'm always on the look out for rare or sold out DVF dresses. I thought I won the lottery when I bid and won a very rare and hard to find DVF dress last week. When I picked up my mail today and opened the package I was so mad to see the dress was made out of polyester, the hem was uneven and looked like a child had tried to sew it and there was no DVF label in it. I emailed the seller and told her I was very disappointed, because this is not an authentic DVF dress. She emailed me back and said she was so sorry and embarrassed, because someone gave her this used dress for a present and she didn't realize it was a fake. I don't know if I believe that she didn't know it was authentic. She was very nice and said I could return the dress and she would refund me. Should I still notify ebay customer support to let them know I'm returning the dress and let them know it's fake. I don't feel I should have to pay for the return shipping fees too. She has been very nice and sounds very embarrassed in her email. She said she would never sell a fake dress. Any thoughts?

Regardless or whether she was aware or how nice she is, the fact is that you paid for an item and it arrived to you not as described. Period. Everything else is irrelevant. That being said, I would try to work with the seller before involving eBay or filing any complaints against her. Cordially let her know that the item is definitely not as described, and request that she issue you a refund. If she becomes difficult, that is when I would get third parties involved.

Good luck, and I'm so sorry that happened to you - what a disappointment!

I don't think you need to get eBay involved yet. Send it back with tracking and signature confirmation that way when it is returned and if you are not refunded you can contact ebay and have proof that you returned it and it was delivered. Also as mentioned above do all communication through ebay only so you have proof that she told you to send it back.

Regardless or whether she was aware or how nice she is, the fact is that you paid for an item and it arrived to you not as described. Period. Everything else is irrelevant. That being said, I would try to work with the seller before involving eBay or filing any complaints against her. Cordially let her know that the item is definitely not as described, and request that she issue you a refund. If she becomes difficult, that is when I would get third parties involved.

Good luck, and I'm so sorry that happened to you - what a disappointment!

Thanks so much for your advice. The seller has been very nice and told me she is so sorry and embarrassed that she sold a fake DVF dress. She told me to ship the dress back to her and once she receives it she will refund me. I will hold off on contacting ebay. Thank you

I don't think you need to get eBay involved yet. Send it back with tracking and signature confirmation that way when it is returned and if you are not refunded you can contact ebay and have proof that you returned it and it was delivered. Also as mentioned above do all communication through ebay only so you have proof that she told you to send it back.

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm just glad she is being nice about it.

Thanks so much for your advice. The seller has been very nice and told me she is so sorry and embarrassed that she sold a fake DVF dress. She told me to ship the dress back to her and once she receives it she will refund me. I will hold off on contacting ebay. Thank you

Aw, that would be embarrassing!! :shame:

Well, at least the seller is being cooperative, so hopefully you won't have to involve eBay at any point.