Help - My cat is stealing clothes

jubanegra

Nov 8, 2009
Hi everyone!

Roxy has developed a very bad habit lately. Somehow she manages to open the closet's door and steal the clothes and towels away from it. When I wake up in the morning, 50% of my clothes are on the floor, including some that were in the hangers (I guess she jumps on them???). Sometimes, she also drags the clothes and/or towels down the stair, pieces of clothes that are twice her size. I don't understand it. My husband and I have tried many things like, puting skin of fruits with strong smell inside the closet, spray her face with water, but it seems she forgets it after 1 second.
Has anyone experienced something similar with cats?
Any suggestions?
TIA!

My suggestion would be to just laugh.

I couldn't think of anything funnier. And all that bending down to pick them up can't hurt the ol' waistline.

I think your kitty rocks! :greengrin:

I never thought something like this is possible. Can you get it on tape? I bet if you put it on youtube your cat would be famous.

I don't know what advice to give you, it's just so bizarre. Do your clothes smell good to her? how does she react to them if you're wearing them or put them on the sofa or somewhere else in the house? Maybe you have to try that and see to narrow it down, whether it's about the closet or clothes themselves.

What does she do with them after she drags them out of the closet? Sit on them?

Lol, true, it's extremely funny, but I try not to let her see me laughing. :biggrin:
When I catch her inside the closet, she just looks up with a face that says "I didn't do it. It was somebody else" lol. And if I come with the water bottle, she runs. She already knows I will "spray her". :P

My suggestion would be to just laugh.

I couldn't think of anything funnier. And all that bending down to pick them up can't hurt the ol' waistline.

I think your kitty rocks! :greengrin:

Neither did I thought that was possible. I have had other cats before, and none of them did that.
Can you believe once my husband and I were relaxing on the leaving room, and suddenly Roxy came down the stairs with one of my jumpsuit! She put it on the floor in front of where we were sitting, like wanting to show how proud she was that she manage to carry it down the stair.
The funniest is that she does not hide anything. She wants to show us lol. Or sit on them!
I don't really know what appeals to her.

I never thought something like this is possible. Can you get it on tape? I bet if you put it on youtube your cat would be famous.

I don't know what advice to give you, it's just so bizarre. Do your clothes smell good to her? how does she react to them if you're wearing them or put them on the sofa or somewhere else in the house? Maybe you have to try that and see to narrow it down, whether it's about the closet or clothes themselves.

What does she do with them after she drags them out of the closet? Sit on them?

Neither did I thought that was possible. I have had other cats before, and none of them did that.
Can you believe once my husband and I were relaxing on the leaving room, and suddenly Roxy came down the stairs with one of my jumpsuit! She put it on the floor in front of where we were sitting, like wanting to show how proud she was that she manage to carry it down the stair.
The funniest is that she does not hide anything. She wants to show us lol. Or sit on them!

Hmm.. so it's an offering of some sort. How about if you get some cute little fabricy stuffed animals place them around the house or even near the closet, and see if she will abandon your clothes and gravitate towards those since it sounds like she wants to "offer" you things? I don't know if it'll work but it's just an idea. I know our cat likes to carry around her stuff animals and meow at the same time while they're in her mouth announcing that she's coming down the hall then lays them infront of us.

Your cat knowing how to open the closet door is in itself a problem, how about a lock?

Thanks, that was a good idea. I think stuffed animals inside the closet or at its door would also distract her.

About the closet door, we are thinking about put a lock there. Otherwise, she manages to open it enough for her to pass.

Hmm.. so it's an offering of some sort. How about if you get some cute little fabricy stuffed animals place them around the house or even near the closet, and see if she will abandon your clothes and gravitate towards those since it sounds like she wants to "offer" you things? I don't know if it'll work but it's just an idea. I know our cat likes to carry around her stuff animals and meow at the same time while they're in her mouth announcing that she's coming down the hall then lays them infront of us.

Your cat knowing how to open the closet door is in itself a problem, how about a lock?

My cat does this but only with one particular item of clothing. He used to sneak in my closet and attack this one dress. I would find bits of blue fabric around the house and I had no idea where they were coming from until I finally figured out it belongs to this dress. I don't know why he hates the dress, he just does. Maybe he it trying to tell me it doesn't look good on me??

I tried spraying him but like your cat he would forget one second later and try to sneak back in. I finally gave up and moved what was left of the dress to another closet in a different room where he can't get the door open. Now he stands in front of that closet for hours sticking his paws underneath the door to try to get the dress but he can't reach it. I have no idea why he does this.

Like I said I would relish all this mischief. I have cats but they're all old ladies and I miss the fun they would have/create.

For me this would just be so funny. I wouldn't do anything to stop her. I'd just make sure my more delicate clothing was out of reach.

She sounds like one mighty cool cat!

Oh I just read the last bit on how she kinda brings them down to you. My cats used to do that with mice and rats. Perhaps your cat can't get to either and this is how she wishes to show you her 'hunting' skills? Aww...she wants to make mummy and daddy proud...:love:

"I finally gave up and moved what was left of the dress to another closet in a different room where he can't get the door open. Now he stands in front of that closet for hours sticking his paws underneath the door to try to get the dress but he can't reach it. I have no idea why he does this."

Miss, I did that, I moved all my nice clothes and shoes to my room in the basement. What else could I do? Sometimes she is alone at home, then I can't spray, control her.

Maybe your cat is sticking his paws underneath the door to open it. Have you thought about that? That's how Roxy open the closet door.

"Oh I just read the last bit on how she kinda brings them down to you. My cats used to do that with mice and rats. Perhaps your cat can't get to either and this is how she wishes to show you her 'hunting' skills? Aww...she wants to make mummy and daddy proud...:love:"

Orchid, I was thinking about that. She is never outside, but I think if we let her out alone, she would bring mouses. I would have a heart attack.
I guess we should just enjoy, while she still wants to play but not sleep the hole day. :sleepy:

i also think this is funny, although i'm sure if it were happening to me i'd be beyond annoyed! especially since if my cats managed to get my clothes down and to the grown, they'd be covered in cat hair in seconds.
my cat also likes to steal socks! it's a bit of a game when i'm doing laundry. and if my sock drawers are open just the slightest bit he will try to pull some out.

maybe it's the laundry detergent? i dunno... but that is pretty odd lol
unfortunately if you find a way to lock your closet then you'll have to listen to your cat trying to dig her way in lol

(by the way, males are neutered, females are spayed)

She has not. She is not 6 mounths yet. Do you think there's something to do with it? Many people tell me that cats get "calmer" after been neutered.

I was a little concerned that it might be 'nest making' behaviour or something, but as she's only 6 months I wouldn't be too worried. Do you let her out at all? Does she do it all the time? My Mum's cat acted a little freaky when she came into season before we had her neutered, she was a complete nightmare! :thinking: