Help - My cat is stealing clothes

Oh man, this thread is funny! :lol: We had a cat that used to do this with all kinds of strange items. We had a pet door leading into our garage (where the cat boxes were) and he would go out there, find something, and bring it in. Once he came in dragging an 8-foot length of Christmas garland in his mouth behind him - through the pet door!!! We still laugh about that one!

I like the idea of putting some small stuffed animals around the closet area so maybe she will focus on those. You could also try faking her out with some gloves or cheap underwear or scarves from the dollar store, placed near the closet entrance.

Last edited:
Maybe your cat is sticking his paws underneath the door to open it. Have you thought about that? That's how Roxy open the closet door.

Yes I think so. Thankfully he only knows how to open doors that push open into a room. He gets a running start and jumps onto the latch until it unlatches and he can push it open. You have to pull this door to open it. So far he hasn't figured out yet how to unlatch and pull a door open so that's why he's trying to get in from underneath the door with his feet I think.

^^THAT is hilarious.
my cats are too stupid to open doors. even if it's cracked open... they'll just stare at it. even if all they have to do is push it open. to them it seems impossible.

growing up all our kitties knew to get their paws under the door to open it (if it wasn't latched). i thought it was common kitty knowledge. but apparently not to my 4! lol

lol awww I can relate to this, my girl cat is a klepto. She'll take anything she can get in her mouth and hide it behind a chair in the living room, her "lair" (hair-ties, pins, pens, pencils, buttons, rings, make up) For yours I'd say just try to make it harder for her to get to your clothes. I watch Spotsy closely now and I don't leave anything out that she might steal because she will take it lol

Hi everyone!

Roxy has developed a very bad habit lately. Somehow she manages to open the closet's door and steal the clothes and towels away from it. When I wake up in the morning, 50% of my clothes are on the floor, including some that were in the hangers (I guess she jumps on them???). Sometimes, she also drags the clothes and/or towels down the stair, pieces of clothes that are twice her size. I don't understand it. My husband and I have tried many things like, puting skin of fruits with strong smell inside the closet, spray her face with water, but it seems she forgets it after 1 second.
Has anyone experienced something similar with cats?
Any suggestions?
TIA!
You are very lucky that she only take the clothes out.I have a blind kitty,and he loves my closet too.the only thing is,he love to PEE in the closet.I think is soap smell that do this for him,because he love to pee in the kitchen cabinet where I store my detergents too.Anyway,even if we lock him in the kitchen,he would spend his nights jumping on the doors handles until he open them,sneak in the bedroom and then get in the closet and pee one night on my bedsheets,another one on my husband work uniforms,then on my towels,and the list go on.I tried everything,but he manage to rip out the tape too,if we try to tape the closet doors.It doesn't help that my husband work at night,so he isn't home,and that when I sleep,I can't hear anything,sigh.:shucks:

This thread is so funny and really makes me appreciate the small problems I have with ours. When my cat was small she used to pee on my shoes (never my husband's) and/or on any plastic bags she found lying around. It eventually stopped, and we never quite worked out why she did it, but she always had an obsession with plastic bags and would climb into any we unpacked after shopping. She also used to steal my hair elastics, literally climb on shelves or coffee tables where she knew I sometimes left them, and I'd find them all over the place.
Her brother loves climbing into the airing cabinet or any of our clothes drawers if they are ever left open for a minute and will just sit in there.
And a favourite with ours is always the Christmas tree, from climbing to the top to dropping baubles to dissecting straw ornaments.
Later they also brought in mice and birds, but that didn't stop the hairband stealing.

^^THAT is hilarious.
my cats are too stupid to open doors. even if it's cracked open... they'll just stare at it. even if all they have to do is push it open. to them it seems impossible.

growing up all our kitties knew to get their paws under the door to open it (if it wasn't latched). i thought it was common kitty knowledge. but apparently not to my 4! lol

Same here with our cat but the first time I witnessed my BF's cat opening a door as I exited the hallway I was like :nuts:.... two of the cats were locked separate rooms because they don't get along and this one cat was trying to get them all out ROFL!!!

He succeeded and gets them out when no one is home, so we get back and find everyone running around.

our cat doesn't steal clothes but she has an obsession with sleeping in our clothes, the problem is that she is white and will only sleep or sit in black clothes! you can imagine the results!
it is a funny thread and sorry i have nothing to add except: lock. but she sounds like a cute and clever cat!

I was a little concerned that it might be 'nest making' behaviour or something, but as she's only 6 months I wouldn't be too worried. Do you let her out at all? Does she do it all the time? My Mum's cat acted a little freaky when she came into season before we had her neutered, she was a complete nightmare! :thinking:

She is inside all the time. When she goes outside, it's always with us, on a leash. I had some other cats before, some of them dissapeared, others were killed by a neighbor, who likes to shoot at abandoned cats, without asking first if someone owns them! I will never take the chance with Roxy.
And yes, she does that almost everytime. 2 weeks ago, I stayed inside the closet, and sprayed her everytime she tryed to come in. She forgot it for some days, but was back to her bad ways soon enough.:P

Yes I think so. Thankfully he only knows how to open doors that push open into a room. He gets a running start and jumps onto the latch until it unlatches and he can push it open. You have to pull this door to open it. So far he hasn't figured out yet how to unlatch and pull a door open so that's why he's trying to get in from underneath the door with his feet I think.

My first cat managed to open the kitchen cabinet, take the pack with her cookies, open and eat it. When we woke up, there were cookies everywhere in the kitchen. :biggrin:

Roxy has already managed to open 1 door that one needs to push to open. She used the same method, paws under the door (I have seen it!).
She has opened the door of the room she used to stay in at basement by jumping at the door handle. Somehow it opened.

It's just a matter of time. :graucho:

Hope I answered everybody. ;)

Yesterday, when I arrived home from job, the 2 shelves on the right side of the closet were empty. Besides that, she had carried a towel and a sweater downstairs. She was sitting at the sweater, when I make to the living room.:biggrin:
But before going to bed, I figured out a way to lock the closet. And then the nightmare started. She spent the whole night trying to open it. She scratched, jumped, cried... I could not sleep! Needed to wake up my husband, so he would lock her in the basement.
My husband thinks it's just a matter of time until she figures out how to open the door with the new system.

Before I go, Hessefan, the x-mas was also a nightmare with us this year. The other cats I had liked to sleep undre the tree, but Roxy wanted to remove all the decoration and/or climb it. She played with the christmas balls, and took the other decoration at the mouth and hided behind some furnitures or at her bed.

This is the funniest thread ever. :lol:

When my cat was small she used to pee on my shoes (never my husband's) and/or on any plastic bags she found lying around. It eventually stopped, and we never quite worked out why she did it, but she always had an obsession with plastic bags and would climb into any we unpacked after shopping.

Our cats have an obsession with peeing on plastic bags, too. When I'm unpacking groceries or bringing home drycleaning, I have to make sure I don't leave anything out for too long otherwise it'll end up wet. So gross! I don't get it at all.