Postal question for US people

shinymagpie

vintage bag lady
Mar 29, 2008
Hi USA people
Someone wants us to pay him $50 dollars to return something that we were able to originally send for $15. Surely $30 is enough to get a lightweight package sent to Japan with tracking. It's about 10 inches by 7 inches and light.
Help!!! We've tried the USPS site, but need some home grown logic here pls. All very complicated. This is the very end of a very long process, so just need a reality check.
Thanks in advance

A priority mail envelope will cost about $15. A flat-rate priority mail package will be about $45. Both are lightly tracked. Express mail envelope is $35. It is fully tracked.

p-WA

Thanks for that.

^ Size is 10 and 1/4 Inches wide 26 cm and 7 and 1/2 inches 19cm tall and 1 and 1/2 inches deep 4cm. 15 oz is 425 grams, I just weighed a similar bag which was 400 gram, so this one would have been about 17 oz maximum.

He keeps talking about envelopes and sizes. Surely it can just be wrapped if it doesn't fit in an envelope!!! We just want to end this, but I needed to know if his point was valid or just more delaying.

Thank you.

Thanks for that.

^ Size is 10 and 1/4 Inches wide 26 cm and 7 and 1/2 inches 19cm tall and 1 and 1/2 inches deep 4cm. 15 oz is 425 grams, I just weighed a similar bag which was 400 gram, so this one would have been about 17 oz maximum.

He keeps talking about envelopes and sizes. Surely it can just be wrapped if it doesn't fit in an envelope!!! We just want to end this, but I needed to know if his point was valid or just more delaying.

Thank you.

Then we are talking about a priority mail box here. A box will run from $25 for 1 lb or so to $45 for a flat-rate (up to 70lbs) box.

Tell him to mail the package and you'll reimburse based on the actual postage cost posted on the box.

p-WA

Then we are talking about a priority mail box here. A box will run from $25 for 1 lb or so to $45 for a flat-rate (up to 70lbs) box.

Tell him to mail the package and you'll reimburse based on the actual postage cost posted on the box.

p-WA

Already tried that, he wants money up front won't move a step until he gets it. - already sent money but needed to see if his claim was justified for more or not.

Just wanted to add that for international packages, "flat-rate" is only good for up to four (4) pounds :biggrin:

You could also check with DHL, FedEx, and UPS but I've heard they can end up having high brokerage fees.

Just for future reference, return shipping costs are the buyer's responsibility unless stated otherwise in you listing/return policy. Personally I only accept returns if I made an error in the listing, so I always tell people to send the item back and I will refund the shipping once I have the item and have verified that I did make a mistake in the listing (and it's not just buyer's remorse).

Thank you all for your assistance on this at short notice. It was very helpful.

sara-g, in a normal world, I wouldn't even be needing to ask for assistance, but this buyer is one of the most unusual eBayers my husband has ever encountered. DH has fully informed eBay of the odd and demanding behaviour and this person has a long track record littered with the wreckage of previous transactions. So he is being relatively cautious. Hopefully it will be over soon!

Priority Mail International Flat Rate envelopes do not provide tracking per USPS.com. They'll scan in the customs form so you'll see "acceptance" and the date but you won't be able to track where it is. I don't believe flat rate envelopes offer insurance either.

Priority Mail International Flat Rate envelopes do not provide tracking per USPS.com. They'll scan in the customs form so you'll see "acceptance" and the date but you won't be able to track where it is. I don't believe flat rate envelopes offer insurance either.

Exactly--that's the biggest problem. Flat rate envelopes or small flat rate boxes don't offer tracking, which is unfortunate since they're by far the most reasonable way to send smaller items, which is $15. You can sometimes try to track using the customs label number, but it really depends on whether someone accidentally scans it at some point and is in no way reliable.

Just received an empty envelope. Fascinating result really as we were expecting an item to be returned inside. Considering our options.

If you saw this, would you think it meant anything had ever been posted?

Label/Receipt Number: Lxxx S
Class: First-Class Mail International
Service(s): International Letter

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on February XX, 2010 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Just received an empty envelope. Fascinating result really as we were expecting an item to be returned inside. Considering our options.

If you saw this, would you think it meant anything had ever been posted?

Label/Receipt Number: Lxxx S
Class: First-Class Mail International
Service(s): International Letter

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on February XX, 2010 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

First Class Mail International have so tracking whatsoever, if the buyer sending the item back to you with no tracking info s/he will not get a refund from paypal.