Calling all Louboutin Lover Lawyers and Just Plain Louboutin Lovers...Help!!!

I was going to comment on how many lawyers are on here too! This was an interesting thread to read. It is so true in any profession, that you have to feel your way around and understand the hidden dress code, even if there is no written one.

Ayala, I PMed you a while back. Fellow law student here! Lawyers (esp on the east coast) wear dark colors all the time! I wore black shoes all last summer at my internship and it fit in very well. I didn't wear Louboutin's to work as it was public interest work and I didn't think it would be appropriate. I am still not sure if I, personally, would wear Louboutin's every day in a corporate environment either as a law student (I wouldn't want to give the impression that I am spoiled, etc). I think your brown simples are a perfect choice. Biancas I think are a little too high for work IMHO. I would keep it very conservative in the beginning and then as you become more comfortable at your job and see what other women wear change it up a little if appropriate.

Best of luck on the job hunt!

hi ayala - i agree with the consensus here. my firm is pretty conservative as well, and i am more often than not in a suit most of the time. IMHO, i think it would be appropriate to get to know the culture of your firm better before introducing CLs. lower 70, 85 (maybe 100s) heels are appropriate for a firm environment. anything higher would not be, like the biancas. since you're shopping for clothes too.. your classic pump, paired with basic skirts/pants, blouses and nice cardigans, and you're all set. HTH and good luck with your internship!

Last edited:
I agree with a couple things that have been said already, specifically:

1) Open-toed/coloured/platform shoes are an absolute no-no in most firms, and definitely in court;
2) Wearing $500+ shoes will definitely be noticed by other lawyers/partners, who will likely draw their own conclusions about you. In my experience, those conclusions have been more catty and jealous than complimentary.... (sad but true)....Someone once said to me, "well, if she can afford those, she doesn't need THIS job".

Unfortunately, law is the type of profession where your appearance is of the utmost importance, and yet you can't ever please everyone. As a summer student, you don't want to rub anyone the wrong way, so I would test the waters- stick to conservative dress (black, charcoal or navy suits and shoes) until you are well-acquainted with the firm and its culture.

Just my 2 cents :smile: Hope you enjoy your summer position!

loving all the advice in here!! i'm heading off to law school in aug so its good to get all of this in now....so i can better plan which shoes to get :biggrin:

I was an investment banker for 5 years, covering the Tech industry . . . my "go to" work shoes were my black greasepaint pigalle 120s . . . but then bankers are known for being a bit sartorially obsessed relative to regular guys . . . not sure if the same applies to lawyers?

I know my senior bankers used to get excited whenever a package came to me at the office, because they wanted to see the new CLs I'd bought! :amuse:

I agree with a couple things that have been said already, specifically:

1) Open-toed/coloured/platform shoes are an absolute no-no in most firms, and definitely in court;
2) Wearing $500+ shoes will definitely be noticed by other lawyers/partners, who will likely draw their own conclusions about you. In my experience, those conclusions have been more catty and jealous than complimentary.... (sad but true)....Someone once said to me, "well, if she can afford those, she doesn't need THIS job".

Unfortunately, law is the type of profession where your appearance is of the utmost importance, and yet you can't ever please everyone. As a summer student, you don't want to rub anyone the wrong way, so I would test the waters- stick to conservative dress (black, charcoal or navy suits and shoes) until you are well-acquainted with the firm and its culture.

Just my 2 cents :smile: Hope you enjoy your summer position!

Great advice!

I'm always surprised how the summer interns dress at my company, and I'm in entertainment – a TOTALLY different environment than law. WE're fairly look as far as dress code goes, but work is still work. I've got a "pick one" rule. Combining a sexy top with a sexy skirt and sexy shoes takes it out of the work realm. JMO.

Last edited:
I'm a 2L law student, and I would NOT recommend wearing CLs to your internship.

Many female lawyers recognize CLs, and some may make catty remarks. If you must wear CLs to the law internship, it would be better to stick to the 70 mm Sharkas and 70 mm Simples that you already have.

Congrats on your summer clerkship! Best of luck to you :cool:

I was an investment banker for 5 years, covering the Tech industry . . . my "go to" work shoes were my black greasepaint pigalle 120s . . . but then bankers are known for being a bit sartorially obsessed relative to regular guys . . . not sure if the same applies to lawyers?

I know my senior bankers used to get excited whenever a package came to me at the office, because they wanted to see the new CLs I'd bought! :amuse:

Sometimes I wish I had gone into I banking instead of the law. But yes, bankers are much more sartorially obsessed in my opinion too. I've even noticed in law firms the men tend to be more into fashion than the women I know.

Are you going to be practising law in NYC? NYC has its own special dress code, which from what I can tell is very different than the rest of the country. Miami/South Florida is a little different too.

Honestly, as a new attorney starting out I wouldn't wear CLs at all for the reasons louboutinlawyer said. The practice of law is conservative. Especially if you want a federal clerkship. I did have the judge I clerked for notice my Ferragamos (since his wife wore them) but in general I think flashy items are best avoided in that scenerio. At best you look interested in fashion, at worst you look spoiled, frivolous, like you don't need the job, etc.

Now that I'm more established I do wear designer shoes, but rarely my CLs to work. Basically, I'm at the point now where my reputation is established and I can get away with some flashier/fashionable items (this is just my opinion!)

I work in the software industry, it's an odd environment (dress-wise). Managers tend to dress up, engineers tend to dress down. I usually hover around a New Simple, Rolando, closed-toe shoe. If it's open-toe, I stick with more conservative styles.

I work in-house as a corporate attorney for a computer hardware company in CA. Like katran, I'm surrounded by engineers who totally dress down in jeans and sneakers everyday (even though technically the dress code is "business casual"). It makes me feel totally overdressed when I wear my suit, but it is necessary for meetings, and even then some co-workers make comments about my clothing. It's just a simple suit!! I wear CLs, but only when I wear a pantsuit and it's hard to tell what kind of shoes I'm wearing.
My company is pretty conservative (Asian company) and they have a culture where you should not dress "better" or have anything better than your superiors. My boss does NOT wear designer anything (including designer purses), so not only in terms of shoes, but I also carry a plain black purse to work.

Another thing not mentioned here is, not only is the heel height an issue, but you may also want to rethink CLs because of the massive toe cleavage it reveals. Toe cleavage may be considered "too sexy" in some conservative work places (similar to a low cut shirt), so you definitely want to keep that in mind!

There are alot of lawyers here! :smile:

I agree with Jet's "pick one rule." I think that is a smart rule to go by.

I am an associate working in a large corporate/business litigation firm in NY/NJ area. I think it is important to dress professionally in accordance to your firm's culture and dress code (i.e., suit daily for my firm) but I tend to be a bit edgier with my shoe choices, while wearing conservative clothing (full suit, blouse, etc.) I do not wear open toe shoes but I do wear higher heels (3-4inches). My staple for my office is actually black delic 120. I also wear twistochat slingback, and simple (90 cm and 100 cm). All my CLs are black or dk brown leather. I also wear my beige simple (100cm) with my suits. I have worn patent leather (black, beige colors) to office before. I think these basic colors are fine but anything too flashy (red, pink, etc) would not be safe for office.

Although law is a conservative profession, I think it is also fine for women lawyers to have fun with fashion while maintaining the proper decorum. For example, I would wear a colorful Hermes carre with my pantsuit and black delic 120. I have worn that to the office AND the court. I worked as a law clerk (after law school) and law intern during law school so I think I have a sense of what is considered appropriate for women lawyers to wear in office and court room in the 21st century. Of course, dress codes and firm culture differs from each firm, and different region of the country. I think most NY/NJ biglaw are conservative but still allows women lawyers to express their fashion sense, within bounds. What I feel is inappropriate would be anything revealing (cleavage and elsewhere), and anything too tight or short. Shoes, on the other hand, I think is OK to be a tad bit edgier.

With that said, I would advise AGAINST wearing any shoes that had an obvious platform to the office. I think hidden platforms are fine.