Calling all Louboutin Lover Lawyers and Just Plain Louboutin Lovers...Help!!!

Sometimes I wish I had gone into I banking instead of the law. But yes, bankers are much more sartorially obsessed in my opinion too. I've even noticed in law firms the men tend to be more into fashion than the women I know.

Agreed! My firm has many impeccably dressed men!

Also, I agree with your other post that when starting out, it is smarter to avoid being known for your material possessions (shoes) for the fear of coming across as spoiled, etc. However, I think a lot of how a young lawyer is perceived ALSO has to do with her work product and demeanor. If she is dedicated, works long hours, and delivers good work product, I dont think she will have a problem of being perceived as spoiled or frivolous solely based on her possessions and fashion sense. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is important to dress for success but sometimes we should also remember that we are being judged by our work so that should be the priority.

I work in-house as a corporate attorney for a computer hardware company in CA. Like katran, I'm surrounded by engineers who totally dress down in jeans and sneakers everyday (even though technically the dress code is "business casual"). It makes me feel totally overdressed when I wear my suit, but it is necessary for meetings, and even then some co-workers make comments about my clothing. It's just a simple suit!! I wear CLs, but only when I wear a pantsuit and it's hard to tell what kind of shoes I'm wearing.
My company is pretty conservative (Asian company) and they have a culture where you should not dress "better" or have anything better than your superiors. My boss does NOT wear designer anything (including designer purses), so not only in terms of shoes, but I also carry a plain black purse to work.

Another thing not mentioned here is, not only is the heel height an issue, but you may also want to rethink CLs because of the massive toe cleavage it reveals. Toe cleavage may be considered "too sexy" in some conservative work places (similar to a low cut shirt), so you definitely want to keep that in mind!

Yes! agree 100% - I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from - isn't it hard to dress business-like when a lot of people are in sneakers and acid wash jeans?

Agreed! My firm has many impeccably dressed men!

Also, I agree with your other post that when starting out, it is smarter to avoid being known for your material possessions (shoes) for the fear of coming across as spoiled, etc. However, I think a lot of how a young lawyer is perceived ALSO has to do with her work product and demeanor. If she is dedicated, works long hours, and delivers good work product, I dont think she will have a problem of being perceived as spoiled or frivolous solely based on her possessions and fashion sense. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is important to dress for success but sometimes we should also remember that we are being judged by our work so that should be the priority.

:tup: I couldn't have said it better myself miss alice! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I would never not wear my CLs, or carry a nice bag, for fear of someone thinking I was spoiled. Honestly, I don't think any of my bosses or colleagues have cared about what I wear, as long as I'm dressed neatly and professionally, and certainly no one has ever made a comment to me about my CLs.

^^ Yup, and I think a lot it has to do with how we carry ourselves while wearing "luxuries" such as CLs or expensive designer purses. I wear CLs and carry Chanels and Birkin for my own personal enjoyment, not to "show off."

I NEVER talk about brands, or how much it costs, etc, in the office or among colleagues. Once in office, I put my purse inside my drawer so no one sees it. I have received only one comment about CLs before, and it was, surprisingly enough, from a male lawyer, who read about CL in the newspaper (lol).

I think upon first impression, some people might judge you negatively if you have(or like) expensive things (i.e., materialistic, spoiled.) But people are also quickly won over when you show them your true personality (down to earth, cordial, respectful, work hard, not snobbish, etc.) I think people like to be proven "wrong" in this regard..hehe....

^^ Yup, and I think a lot it has to do with how we carry ourselves while wearing "luxuries" such as CLs or expensive designer purses. I wear CLs and carry Chanels and Birkin for my own personal enjoyment, not to "show off."

I NEVER talk about brands, or how much it costs, etc, in the office or among colleagues. Once in office, I put my purse inside my drawer so no one sees it. I have received only one comment about CLs before, and it was, surprisingly enough, from a male lawyer, who read about CL in the newspaper (lol).

I think upon first impression, some people might judge you negatively if you have(or like) expensive things (i.e., materialistic, spoiled.) But people are also quickly won over when you show them your true personality (down to earth, cordial, respectful, work hard, not snobbish, etc.) I think people like to be proven "wrong" in this regard..hehe....

Here, here.

The only reason I dress up is for me - I just feel better in clothes that are cut well, are made with fabrics that feel well, shoes that look good, and bags that are pretty.

It reminds me of how in the 50s people would get dressed up to go to work - regularly. Nowadays, you see people going to work in the subway in sweats or leggings and Uggs (which can be fun on the weekends...but at work???).

Some people comment on my shoes. I just smile and say thank you. If they have an appreciation I'll talk more, but I don't talk about the cost, etc. with anyone.

I'm an engineer who dresses down :blush: I can't help it. No one at my work dresses up except the Project Managers and I'm in a cube most of the day where no one sees me. I would LOVE to have an excuse to rock my CLs!!