Dui?

My son got a DUI and he was not even driving at the time. Long story- but, another one of his friends moved his car and left the keys in the ignition, so he got the DUI because the keys were in the ignition- don't get me wrong- he messed up! he chose to drive the one mile from the restaurant to our home after having one too many margaritas with several friends following him- a friend gets out of the car and gets hurt. He calls 911. They charge him with DUI even though they never see him behind the wheel- he is in our neighbors driveway. We pay a lawyer friend $3500 to get it off his record- he still goes to court 4 times and has to go to these classes, pee in the cup once a month, etc. for a year, etc. - and this is the first time anything like this has ever happened with him. end of story is a major lesson learned and $3500 spent that he could have just agree to have gone to the classes for the time period agreed.

I will never ever get into a car with someone who has been drinking. my husband and I both do not drink on the same night, if he orders a drink I don't. If I order one he does not drink. We both have too much to risk for a few drinks. I could never put my child in a position where she might lose a parent due to a stupid choice.

Also my sister was in a very bad accident where a drunk driver t boned into her. She was in icu for 5 days and on crutches for 4 months after that. Please consider the risk you are taking for yourself and someone else by driving drunk.

OP: I think the most important things are that you admit you made a mistake, stress that you are VERY thankful nothing worse happened, remind everyone that you learned from this situation and will never allow it to happen again.
If it comes up in a job interview, admit that it happened and take responsibility. Maybe it will cost you a job or two - but stepping up and acting like an adult will definitely make a bad situation a little less horrible.

I had two drinks.. a lot of people drink and drive. It just depends how much you DRINK.. but you never really can tell or think after having one or two drinks that you're going to be above .08. Not saying it was ok, just saying it's hard to tell.

Wow, again with the justifications. Yes, a lot of people may drink and drive and NONE of them are right for doing it; neither were you. This is exactly why penalties for first offenses need to be strict, IMO. People are quick to justify their own behaviours as not being as bad as others, but drinking and driving is drinking and driving. Like others have said, there is a legal limit for a reason. You may not feel it, but the point is that you shouldn't drive after you have been drinking, period.

I had two drinks.. a lot of people drink and drive. It just depends how much you DRINK.. but you never really can tell or think after having one or two drinks that you're going to be above .08. Not saying it was ok, just saying it's hard to tell.

You've got a lot to learn, apparently. I hope the judge remands you to an alcohol safety program of some sort because you clearly need the education. Here's what you don't seem to understand: It is NEVER OK to consume alcohol and get behind the wheel of a car, whether you can "tell" you're legally drunk or not. It is especially never OK to use the excuse "a lot of people drink and drive".

I think you are mistaken when you say you've learned your lesson. But hopefully, you will.

I would recommend attending AA meetings. Judges often reduce the fine depending on your assistance. People wait until they are ordered so but we always encourage them to do it. Some get offended but at the end it is for their own benefit. We had a client with a BAL of .21... that is almost three times the limit!! Judge reduced his fine from $2,200 to $1,500. I am in CA though. I read the NE DMV link and the maximum/minimum sentence is lower than here.

You are lucky nothing worse happened. You could have been the driver that t-boned the other car. Lesson learned.

It does not. It depends on your alcohol tolerance. My husband can drink the same and I'll be trashed while he would feel "nothing". Can't compare a 180lb men to a 115lb woman! Anyway, it does not matter if people drink and drive. You should not do it, period. Sorry again for being so harsh. Just hire an attorney, I am sure this will be not dismissed nor reduced. If you had blown below the limit or very closed to it, there is a chance it could have been reduce to reckless driving.

Best of luck OP =D

Last edited:
^^Judges often require you to go to AA meetings.

Even though my lawyer got my DUI reduced to a reckless (it was my first and only) I still had to attend 10 weeks of alcohol safety classes, AA meetings, and had my DL restricted for 6 months. Not to mention how expensive all this was. It was a huge PITA but I submitted to it willingly because getting pulled for DUI scared the CRAP out of me and it was extremely humiliating and depressing. I never once took a flippant attitude about it that because it is no laughing matter. The instructor at the ASAP class told us that out of the 15 people in the class, 12 would be back, and I vowed "Not me!" I have taken 45-minute cab rides to avoid driving after even one drink.

I blew a 0.10.which *used* to be the legal limit in VA.

I wonder how many people on TPF have ever driven after consuming ANY alcohol...do some think it's ok to have one glass of wine and then drive? Or do some think only if you are tipsy?? What is the "cutoff" point for you? Or is there one? What are opinions on going out to a restaurant and having a glass of wine w/dinner and then driving? Do you ALWAYS have a DD or call a taxi after drinking? How about going over to a friend's house? (for instance, Super Bowl and you consume one beer?)

Just playing devil's advocate. I know so many people that do drive after having one drink. With some it's an all or nothing situation, with others maybe gray areas.

I see people drinking at bars and restaurants and getting in their car...I think getting a taxi is a great idea, but of course you have to deal w/your car not being there for you the next day. I totally agree w/the advice here, but I just wonder how many really follow it.

When I have a glass of wine for dinner I can drive. However, its usually during dinner so when dinner is over conversation still lingers and I order a glass of water as my second drink.

For the exception of beer, I refuse to drink any kind of liquor (hard or mixed) if I am the driver. Folks think I'm weird, but i have been in a bad car accident (non drinking related and i wasn't the driver) and it was NOT fun.

For the exception of beer, I refuse to drink any kind of liquor (hard or mixed) if I am the driver. Folks think I'm weird, but i have been in a bad car accident (non drinking related and i wasn't the driver) and it was NOT fun.

I was in a bad ATV accident 7 years ago that was alcohol related. I was not driving, but both myself and the driver had been drinking. We were on a private ranch so at least we didn't put anyone else at risk. Still, extremely bad decision and definitely NOT fun. I was thrown into a barbed wire fence going about 55 mph and am lucky I wasn't decapitated. I still have scars and I regret it. Getting behind the wheel of any type of vehicle when you've been drinking just isn't a good idea.

Last edited:
I would recommend attending AA meetings. Judges often reduce the fine depending on your assistance. People wait until they are ordered so but we always encourage them to do it. Some get offended but at the end it is for their own benefit. We had a client with a BAL of .21... that is almost three times the limit!! Judge reduced his fine from $2,200 to $1,500. I am in CA though. I read the NE DMV link and the maximum/minimum sentence is lower than here.

You are lucky nothing worse happened. You could have been the driver that t-boned the other car. Lesson learned.

It does not. It depends on your alcohol tolerance. My husband can drink the same and I'll be trashed while he would feel "nothing". Can't compare a 180lb men to a 115lb woman! Anyway, it does not matter if people drink and drive. You should not do it, period. Sorry again for being so harsh. Just hire an attorney, I am sure this will be not dismissed nor reduced. If you had blown below the limit or very closed to it, there is a chance it could have been reduce to reckless driving.

Best of luck OP =D

It's a fact that women metabolize the same amount of liquor differently than men, all other things being equal. Women can get looped much easier than a man. Apparently, it has to do with some enzyme in your stomach. Many Asians cannot metabolize liquor either. I have a friend you doesn't touch a drop because it makes her sick.

I know when I was younger, I got behind the wheel a few times when I had been drinking. It was different then. People didn't talk about it like they do now. The concept of 'designated driver' didn't exist. I am lucky that nothing ever happened.

i'm sorry, i count myself lucky that i don't have one on my record...there were many times when i was (much) younger that i drove home after a few drinks.

now i wouldn't dare. dui is mandatory night in jail, or more if it is on a weekend/holiday. i just can't picture myself in jail.

I know some of you would like me to get the most severe punishment. But I went to talk to the prosecutor today about the situation and they are considering lowering it to reckless driving. But not sure yet. If they do lower this, I will never ever ever take this for granted. So just hoping for the best.