Setting a solitaire diamond. 6 prong or 4? Your preference

i prefer 4 because it doesn't distract from the diamond as much.

i have diamond stud earrings that i got set with 3 prongs, and that is my fav. makes the diamond look bigger.

OMG this is excactly what I was gooing to ask!

I have a new solitaire that is a 4 claws. The stone got loose just after I got it! So now I want to have it re-set. I am torn between a 6 claws or a double 4 claws or 4 BIG claws.

I just don't feel secure with a 4

my engagement ring used to have 4 prongs and now it's with 6 (search for my threads for both rings). i would say i love the 6 prong more, however the has to be done delicately. I can see significant size difference on my re-set ring vs the previous 4-prong setting. Just by changing it to a 6-prong crown, the diamond now looks very round and pronounced. In contrary to a lot of posters here, the bigger the stone, i would say the more you need a 6-prong crown in order to protect the girdle and keep the "roundness" of the shape. hope this helps!

TOTALLY agree ETenebris! My 2 carat is set with 4 prongs, and I love it so much! I like how it gives it kind of an minimal, square look, while still being a classic setting. I've had it close to 10 years and it's never gotten loose or changed the shape of the diamond.