Private School Vs. Public

^Thanks Swanky!
I agree. Our elementary school are fab..but in my town..the kids go to middle school in 5th grade..and the 5-8 grades STINK here now..Alot of change going on and its not good.
My biggest challenge is finding her a school that is challenging enough.She is already in a gifted program now...but she wants harder work.
Im very active with my daughters school now..so I definately would throw a sleepover/party if she has to be moved to a new school.My world revolves around her and her happiness is the only thing that matters to me!!LOL!

Jill, in the time span of 4th grade to 8th grade, I was in 5 different schools. We moved a ton and I got put in a school that I loved but was not challenging at all. I HATED change more than anything... after day 2 at my new school, I was fine.

The point is kids adapt fine. It is not easy for all of them, but they bounce back. Let her try out the private school and see how it is for her.

Chances are many schools in our areas are not up to par with others- and sometimes, no school will be at the same place our child is at. But the only other option then is skipping your child ahead a grade or a few... and that has it's own (and countless more IMO) downsides.

When I was in school (I was also in a gifted program), the school had me in a few classes a few grades up for me. Sometimes that is an option for various classes. Same with my high school- I was always up a few levels in many of my classes, but I still was in my same 'grade' with my age friends.

Good luck with this- it must be hard- but it will work out! :heart:

Well that is a heck of a problem! I don't think there's a simple solution to your problem, especially considering that at this point you've concluded the problem at her school is the academic curriculum which you well know you can't do anything about. I'll try to keep my opinion short but it won't be easy. LOL

In my opinion the answer would be pretty simple if she wasn't lacking the academic challenge that she desires. Personally, academics aside, I would choose a public school. Although even saying, “Academics aside” and “school” in the same sentence is a bit of an oxymoron.

I think good public schools, keyword being good; have much better long term benefits than private schools. I've read through most of the opinions you've gotten so far and a lot of people would disagree with me. Private schools are good, they're undoubtedly for the most part, better academically and how shall we say, the caliber or quality of people and other children that they interact with at a private school is arguably better. So the private school provides better education, and probably more open doors for college opportunities. However, at a private school, depending on which one, her classmates may have a much different home life and standard of living then she does. Her classmates may vacation, in Rome and the islands, they may wear clothes and accessorize with the most expensive trendy items available, which is not necessarily bad (LOL) they will be getting dropped off and picked up in rather flashy cars, ect. The drawbacks to this, is that unless you are financially able to “keep up with the Joneses” in terms of her girlfriends and their extracurricular activities she will be the odd girl out, especially in the 9-12K classes. If you can afford to keep pace with these other families, then their is really only one major drawback I see to private school.

That major drawback is, personality diversification. That is to say, everyone that she goes to school with will most likely have substantially similar backgrounds at home and be rather like-minded. To me this is a drawback.

For example: in a public school she will interact with children from the trailer park (no offense, my cousin lives of a mobile home and love her dearly) to the very cultured an affluent. Believe it or not the cultured and affluent do send their children to public schools. In my opinion, attending school, and going through the growth of adolescents and having to “manage” all those different personalities and backgrounds will help her cope with life in general and the obstacles she may incur. In the public school she will have to deal with bullies, very ignorant children, poorly raise children, very smart children, well raised children, and so on. Also over public school friends will most likely live in the same town. Which has advantages, like her possibly being able to walk to her friend's house, the gossip of what's going on in school travels home much faster, I think the parents at a public school setting have a much better handle, on issues like drugs, bad influence children, who brought a knife or gun to school, etc. The same is also true for the school faculty and local police department. Oftentimes in public schools the faculty, attended school there as well. Probably half of the Police Department attended school together, and when they show up at school for an issue, they will take it very personally. In a public school, your daughters classmates will be the children of, local police, local small-business owners, local politicians, and of course your neighbors. In her late teens, early 20s, these can be very valuable advantages. Also, when she's older and perhaps settles down with her own family in the same town she has a very strong social network right within our community. The nature of private school just doesn't allow for these advantages. And in many cases, those types of advantages may not be that valuable throughout her life.

I'm not knocking private school in any way it has huge advantages in many areas, and she may make friends with much more influential people at a private school that a public school could ever offer. It very much depends on the school.

Private school verse public-school is a rather difficult decision and I don't think there's any right or wrong answer, it's like coming to a fork in the road and having no map or knowledge of the area, you just have to choose.

My wife and I have to make the same decision you're facing now. We happen to have a very good private school near our home, however our public school, academically and extracurricular activity wise is very good. So for us it's more of a social decision.

I just wanted to point that the foundation for her adult social skills, and people management skills, will be significantly influenced by her school environment.

Lots of great well-rounded kids graduate from both public and private schools every year. The same is true for handful of jerks.

Best wishes,
Robert

When I was in school (I was also in a gifted program), the school had me in a few classes a few grades up for me. Sometimes that is an option for various classes. Same with my high school- I was always up a few levels in many of my classes, but I still was in my same 'grade' with my age friends.

Jill, have you considered dicussing with the principal to let her move up a grade or two? Do they do that anymore? I hope you find a good solution!:smile:

Actually..Our school is against moving her into a more advanced class.Its against their rules.It would be a simple solution but Im afraid our current middle school is undergoing some radical( BAD!) changes at the moment...leaving little room for discussion.They are INFLEXIBLE to say the least..AND they obviously do NOT put the children first.Im actually going to have a lengthy letter published in a local newspaper..To warn people of the serious issues our current school has.Too lengthy to list the issues..BUT they are definately problems.The teachers even agree there is a problem .

Robert- I understand and agree with all you are saying too.My husband is a physician with an extremely high ranking job....he beleives in public school over Private as well.However our current situation leaves us no other choice....Unless we move.We have met with school officials too many times and there is no progress due to political issues going on.

She needs to try it!! She will never excel in a school that is soo behind! It will not challenge her!! She needs to be around kids on her level or higher!! The school she seems to be in isn't accommodating and it might be detrimental. This must be hard I hope you find a good solution !.

I agree w/ a lot of what you said NH, but it's not really about that.
It's about what's best for this particular individual.
Not which is better in a contest, private or public.
My DH wnats me to move to a specific neighborhood and I won't because the only real choice there is to private school my children, and *I* don't personally want to do that.
I grew up in the public school system adn as I said before, our's our 2nd best in the state. So I would rather my children grow up w/ the diversity of a public school as opposed to private.
But if I were Jill, and my school wasn't the best and it was already affecting my child, I'd move her, there's really not much choice there IMO.

Send her to private school. I went to a UK boarding school for 6 years and it was the most amazing experience I have ever had. I came out of it more educated, aware, cultured & when I went to a US College, I felt like I was in junior high - AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL experience, the professors in US treat you like you are 2. Then I went to Yale for Grad school and had a better time/education - even though they still treated you like you were a child.

I agree to some degree with Robert #18, that there may be more diversity in public schools however, there was plenty of diversity in my private UK school. I myself was one, I was a minority as an Asian student. There sure were children of noble backgrounds & UK royalty but there were local students of all sorts of background. We were able to learn to grow together in harmonious ways.

I wish I could turn back the time & had chosen a different College, similar to my private Uk school. If there's something I want for my 2 (soon to be 3) children is great private school education, I wouldn't trade my experience with anything. I have no problems with public schools as long as they offer challenging education for my children. I would never send my children to schools that cater to 'all levels' trying to be Politically Correct, these schools lower their standards deliberately so all the students would 'FIT IN'. I do admire their efforts for this but really, why do your smart-er children have to pay for a mediocre education where your SAT scores deliberately get lowered?

Good luck with your daughter, she sure sounds like a perfect candidate for better education. We as parents owe that to our kids.

Sometimes you can find diversity in a private school as well. This is not going to be an easy decision - do some research on the private school diversity. My children are in a private school that is extremely diverse, different religions, race and ethnic groups and financial backgrounds. Its been around for over a century but we don't have exceptional public school systems here, at least to my liking. My daughter is gifted as well and I still find myself supplementing. A gifted child will always have curiosity beyond what is taught in a classroom. You said it best -- your child comes first. I have things to leave my children but the best thing you can give them is an education. Keep that in mind as you make your decision and you will make the right one. Especially if the school you are at is unwilling to work with you.

I am a product of public schools. I wish I had gone to private. I was always bored and learned early how to skate by - getting As - but not working hard and it hurt in the long run (college and now work).

And boredom breeds disrespect and trouble...trust me on that one.

She will get over the change and make new friends (and probably keep some of her old ones).

Public schools lately are doing a lot of stupid things that aren't in the best interest of the children ... our public schools do things that are in the interest of the teachers/principles much more often than the kids. It's really sad but the unions have a stronghold on our children's education (and by 'our' I mean your since I don't even have kids yet...but I am not that far removed from the system).

Good luck!!!

It really depends on your particular private school. Some, esp in Manhattan here in NY, are really good (Dalton)--excellent academics and diversity etc...but I think some are too elitist. Some in Westchester and Long Island are not as good as the public schools (Esp. In Long Island). The Catholic schools in Queens are a magnet for underperforming and expelled kids because their parents want them to do better.

I agree with NHGUY to some extent.

But let's be clear that Private school kids have the same issues as public school kids. They are faced with the same dilemmas everyday. Just because they are in private school, doesn't make them any smarter. So if one of their friends puts some weed in their face, because they go to private school doesn't mean they're going to say no.

There was more drama in my Private school than in my public school education. They drink just as much, they party just as much, they do stupid stuff just as much. Some of the things I could tell you...Oh, it was so scandalous.

It's all about opportunities and what you make of them. There are plenty of opportunites in public schools, but not all. If you don't have a decent school system sometimes you have to do what's best for you child. As long as your child is keeping up with the school, it's worth the money, but if they want to act like an idiot, I would throw my child right back in public school. You want to waste my money, you waste your opportunity.

I went to a public school in California until the end of the 4th grade when my parents transferred me to a private school. I was only there for the 5th grade because the next year we moved, but the year I was at the private school was great.

It was easy to make friends; it only took me a few days to get adjusted to the new people. What was hardest for me was adjusting to the new level of schoolwork. I was also in the G&T program at my previous school and was the best student, but at the private school I was behind compared to everyone else. I was getting straight A's at the public school, but at the private school I was getting C's. The public school just didn't prepare me properly and what was considered "G&T work" at the public school was what the private school taught to their 1st and 2nd graders. My teacher put in a lot of extra work with me the first few months at the private school. She caught me up to the rest of the class and soon I was receiving straight A's again. The work was challenging but it was the first time I actually had to try at my schoolwork. I was at times frustrated because I didn't get everything right away, but I learned great study habits and I learned how to figure problems out.

When we moved out of state I attended a public school again (the only private school was too far) and after in just one year at a private school, I was a couple grades ahead of everyone else at my new school.

I really liked my private school and I still keep in contact with my friends from that school. I would encourage your daughter to give the private school a chance-she may like it and if she's worried about missing her old friends, remind her that she can always get together with them after school or on the weekends. Nothing is as important as education.

You know Jill, I would also ask about the teaching philosophy. For example, my children's school believes that only 25% of class time should be spent reviewing and 75% on learning new concepts. Also, does the teacher supplement textbooks with other books. My children's history teacher supplements with a book I used in college as a political science major. There are a lot of questions to ask to be sure it is the right place for your daughter. The social issues, as Meg said, will work themselves out - just be prepared for them. She'd of course have them anyway being a teenager.

My son is not even 2 yet, and we've already had the debate. My husband went to private school all his life and I went to public school. I think public schools are just fine, but he begs to differ. It is proven you get a better education from a private school. The more $$ the school costs, the better the education they'll recieve.