How to get a smell out of a bag

valby

Jul 28, 2006
I recently bought a vintage LV Alma and I have the feeling it will smell like Mothballs (from some comments others have made about the source of my bag) anyway has anyone been successful with removing this smell from a bag? :idea:

Reactions: lvmhgirl
Some have put fabric softener clothes in the bag, zip it up and wait a couple of days. Outside in the open air is always good. If it's really bad, I know people who put them on an ionic air cleaner.

I found this MB by accident. So cool. I love purses. I bid and win most of them on ebay.
I did get a Vera Bradley in the mail today. I had bought it for my neighbor who collects them. The ebay seller said all items from her "clean, smoke free home." Maybe her home is smoke free, but the bag has been hanging out in a club.
I don't want to wash it, for fear it will fade. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reactions: Persimmoncat
Ugh, the same thing happened to me except someone sent me a fake LV that smelled so bad/smoky...but that got resolved. I am not familiar with Vera Bradley but maybe they have washing directions on their site or on a tag in the bag....

Maybe put a opened box of baking soda in the bag to absorb the odor? I've also heard charcoal but I'd be leery of getting it dirty.

Hey, want to be my neighbor too? Welcome to the forum!

Try dryer sheets (Bounce or others). I used this method to get rid of mothball smell out of an LV Musette that I bought on eBay and it worked like a charm. It may take a few days, though. Use more than one sheet!

Reactions: LaPaloma55
Ooh, I just had the exact same problem! It was the leather Andrea Brueckner saddle purse that knocked me over with its cigarette smell (I blame myself since I never asked the seller). I asked on another message board and they told me to try Febreze (on the cloth interior), fabric softener sheets, charcoal...I did all of that and nothing worked. I've let it air out now for a few weeks and it has gotten quite a bit better. If the purse isn't leather, you might have some luck with Febreze. If it's leather like mine, you might just have to air it and hope for the best. :sad:

Try "marinating" the bag with tons of dryer sheets in a pillow case or a dust bag and put it away for a week or so. It usually works for me to remove ciggie smell or moth ball smell.

I find, if you just leave them out to air, for a couple of days (if you have pets, lie a piece of tissue paper loosely over it), the smell eventually fades away on its own.

I spray Febreeze on a small towel, fold it and store it in the bag. That way, you avoid getting stains on the bag itself, and the towel absorbs the bad smell. Works really well. If the smell is bad, you might need to change the cloth/towel after a week or so, repeat every week until the smell is completely gone.

Good luck!