What Type OF Dog????

mtheriault6

Oct 21, 2008
So my father finally gave in and is letting me and my sister get a dog and i have wanted one forever:yahoo: so now what are your recommendations? we want a cute "purse dog" that will be the most spoiled pampered thing, wearing polo and juicy couture and in an LV dog carrier, we were thinking yorkiepoo or pug! please give suggestions!!!!
TIA!

~Max~

I guess this isnt really a purse dog, but I had a miniature beagle and she was the most loyal dog ever. My mom didnt want her in the living room and she would walk up to the line and turn around without anyone telling her no. She would wonder a little but always came back. They are actually really cute dogs, ill get some pics over here in a minute.

Please read some good books about dogs and go to a shelter. No dog wants to be handled like an accessories, they are animals! And EVERY dog has deserved a complete life with playing, walking hours outside with you EVERY day and just being a dog.
A dog doesn’t want to be dressed, please do it only if it is necessarily, not just for fun. A spoiled dog isn’t a happy dog if you don’t accept him as a living creature.
Good authors are Jean Donaldson and Patricia McConnell, please buy the books.

Please read some good books about dogs and go to a shelter. No dog wants to be handled like an accessories, they are animals! And EVERY dog has deserved a complete life with playing, walking hours outside with you EVERY day and just being a dog.
A dog doesn’t want to be dressed, please do it only if it is necessarily, not just for fun. A spoiled dog isn’t a happy dog if you don’t accept him as a living creature.
Good authors are Jean Donaldson and Patricia McConnell, please buy the books.

:goodpost: I really wish people would want to get a dog for companionship, to save the dog from shelter life, have a good friend, etc. instead of looking for one as a doll to play dress up with and tote around like a wannabe Paris Hilton or something.
This is not referencing those that take their dogs places with them, because I used to as well when my dogs were little, but to plan to get a dog just so you can dress them up and show them off in designer clothing and bags is the wrong way to go about it.

Dogs are not fashion accessories, they are living creatures. They are a lifelong investment that becomes part of your family.
Please do you research on different breeds to find out what would be appropriate for your lifestyle and what you are looking for in a companion. There really are more imprortant things to consider when getting a dog than how cute it will look in a bag.
I would check out akc.org for information about dog ownership and different breeds, and also to learn what being a dog owner actually requires. Also, please read up on dog training books to see what you will be in for in terms of time and energy invested in training your dog.
Additionally, please get in touch with some local veterinarians as well. They can help you, as well.

I completely agree with the last few posts. Dogs are LIVING BEINGS, not accessories or dolls that you dress up.

And please consider a rescue dog instead of a "designer" one. Do your research on certain type of dogs. Some breeds are known for particular issues so you need to go into it having done some homework.

Dogs are most likely the happiest being loved, cuddled, and given treats than they are dressed up being shown off in public places and stuffed into a purse.
(I do take my dogs places, so that's not what I'm getting at.)

Paris Hilton is hardly a role model for good dog ownership.

If you truly want a dog to LOVE, do your research and adopt one that needs a home from a rescue or shelter.

If you just want something to dress up, do a Build-A-Bear thing.

I don't mean to sound harsh but this is a living being we're talking about and it's something that I feel very passionately about.

Good luck.

^^^^ITA with all the posts above about a dog not being a toy. A dog will give undying love, companionship and happiness to it's owner, but it deserves to be treated like a dog should be and played with and exercised, etc. It is not a doll to dress and be paraded around until (ie. PHilton) gets tired of it and it gets forgotten.
Also, please consider a shelter/rescue dog - so many need loving homes.

ITA... don't buy a dog so that you can have a TOY to play dress-up with. Dogs are fairly needy animals, requiring attention, grooming, training, etc. Dogs vary in their activity level, some are hyper as heck. You need to do some research about breeds of dogs and pet ownership.
I hope there is an adult in this house who is going to be responsible for this pup.

AND....this post needs to be moved to ANIMALICIOUS

OP - I agree with the majority of posts. Sounds like you only want a fashion accessory and not a companion.

If you truly want a dog, do your research (and I don't mean in the fashion mags) and rescue one from a shelter. But if you are more concerned with what brand clothing your dog will wear............buy a stuffed animal.

I agree with ElliMae, this should be moved to animalicious forum.