Which Leather Is More Durable?

Lulagirl

O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
Hi Mulberry Ladies!
I'm new to Mulberry & love the new Daria Hobo...I know many ladies find the gigantic logo a turn off but I think it's kinda cool :smile: I really like the bag in the leather that Mulberry describes as "soft, spongy leather" however I thought I just read somewhere on here that it was scratch-prone or not durable.

Now, I cannot find where I read that & I'm wondering if I should just get it in the other new material:wrinkled patent leather. The mulberry sight mentions patent is a fragile leather & care should be taken but doesn't provide this warning for the soft, spongy leather. So ladies, I'm confused. If any of you have purchased or played with this soft, spongy leather I would love to know your thoughts. How durable will it be? Durable is a great quality but not if it has to be babied & is scratch prone. I would just go for the patent but i already have 2 patents & thought I would just go with plain leather.

Thanks for your thoughts & suggestions...I appreciate it!

Hi, I have the daria tote in grey, so it's the soft leather and I think it's amazing. I am pretty careful with my bags on the whole, so I don't throw them around or put them on the floor etc (in the house yes, but not the pavement). I've used mine a few times now and there are no marks or scratches at all.

I just did a little test - I scratched the leather with my finger nail and there is not a mark to be seen! I suppose if it's a sharp object then the top surface of the leather may be scratched, but I think it's pretty durable for day to day use.

Hope that's of some help!

Hi Mulberry Ladies!
I'm new to Mulberry & love the new Daria Hobo...I know many ladies find the gigantic logo a turn off but I think it's kinda cool :smile: I really like the bag in the leather that Mulberry describes as "soft, spongy leather" however I thought I just read somewhere on here that it was scratch-prone or not durable.

Now, I cannot find where I read that & I'm wondering if I should just get it in the other new material:wrinkled patent leather. The mulberry sight mentions patent is a fragile leather & care should be taken but doesn't provide this warning for the soft, spongy leather. So ladies, I'm confused. If any of you have purchased or played with this soft, spongy leather I would love to know your thoughts. How durable will it be? Durable is a great quality but not if it has to be babied & is scratch prone. I would just go for the patent but i already have 2 patents & thought I would just go with plain leather.

Thanks for your thoughts & suggestions...I appreciate it!

Hi Lulagirl and :welcome2: to the Mulberry forum.

I have a Mabel Hobo in the spongy leather and it's wonderfully soft and light to carry, but my bag has sustained a few marks and scratches in the couple of months I've had it. In some lights these marks are barely visible, but in other lights you can see them clearly. I don't baby my bags at all but I do try to be reasonably careful with them, so I wasn't best pleased to see these marks appearing when the bag was still very new. That said, since the initial marks I haven't noticed any new ones popping up.

I don't think the slight fragility of this kind of leather would put me off buying another spongy bag, but I think it's fair to say that in my opinion, it's not the most durable leather in the Mulberry range.

Last edited:
Ah there you see - two completely different opinions on the spongy debate :P ! I guess everyone is going to have a slightly different experience with their bags but I'm wondering if the marks are more noticeable on a black bag (as in my Mabel Hobo) than on some of the other colours. I think another Mulberry lady has the Mabel Hobo in the pink spongy leather and didn't have any problems with marks appearing on her bag.

Hmmm maybe it's just you Tagullah :P

Well my Daria is the only soft spongy leather I have, all others are pebbled, NVT, darwin, cracked metallic, antique etc - I think they're all "fragile" to a certain extent, but I suppose it depends how you look after them, if you're the kind to guard it with your life or just sling it around without much thought.

Either way, I think it would take quite a lot to spoil a bag. But of course others might disagree :nuts:

I have mabel shoulder in the soft spongy leather and Im not a gently girl- bit of a clumsy bull in a china shop so it hasnt been babied but hasnt a mark on it and it is soft and lovely!!

Thanks fuzzyfelt27, Tagullah, & elvisfan4life!
You guys rock for answering my concerns with such promptness :smile:
Tag...I remember you from the Chloe forum...how have you been?

O.K. you guys have convinced me to go for it but just so you ladies are aware...I'm weighing whether to purchase the black soft, spongy leather or the wrinkled patent which now that I think about it...is the patent even available in black? Don't think the Mulberry site lists black as an option. Guess that narrows it down!

Would you ladies think the wrinkled patent requires less "babying?"

P.S. Fuzzyfelt...you are so thoughtful to do a test for me ...THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I wish the new Daria Hobo was available in goat skin but I believe the only choices are soft, spongy or wrinkled patent. I'm sure both are wonderful but I really don't want my new baby to scratch!

Thanks fuzzyfelt27, Tagullah, & elvisfan4life!
You guys rock for answering my concerns with such promptness :smile:
Tag...I remember you from the Chloe forum...how have you been?

O.K. you guys have convinced me to go for it but just so you ladies are aware...I'm weighing whether to purchase the black soft, spongy leather or the wrinkled patent which now that I think about it...is the patent even available in black? Don't think the Mulberry site lists black as an option. Guess that narrows it down!

Would you ladies think the wrinkled patent requires less "babying?"

P.S. Fuzzyfelt...you are so thoughtful to do a test for me ...THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

No problems Lulagirl - not sure how helpful my contribution was as I seem to be the only person with a quibble about the spongy leather, but I guess it's always good to get a variety of opinions ! I do remember you from the Chloe forum now you come to mention it. I'm good - how are you ? I still have the love for Chloe, but I have to admit that at the moment I've been having my head turned in a big way by Mulberry's latest offerings !