Do you think Gerard Darel bags r classic enough?

BgaHolic

Emma 4ever in my <3
O.G.
May 23, 2009
Is there an age limit to them? I am very hip looking but don't know if they are still "in". The only negative I am reading is that when place down, they expand because they are unstructured. Was just wondering your thoughts (Gerard Darel Pocket Satchel)

I definitely think Gerard Darel bags are classic.
Their shape is really simple, the leather is gorgeous and they age really well (I bought my first one in 2007 and the leather is TDF, even more beautiful than some really expansive bags...) However, it is true that when placed down they tend to expand but if you chose a 24h with pockets (I think it's this one you're referring to) it's not so bad, they still keep their shape (I have 2 24h with pockets and a simple one and the difference is quite big)

Hope this helps!

Thanks Etincelle! I think I saw it on line @ the Bagshop & was just wondering to myself if I should give up on the higher end bags and just go for that. (Other choices BV & Bally)

You're welcome!

I think it only depends on the style of the bag you want because IMO there's not a big difference in quality between Darel and higher end bags (but I don't own any Bally or BV, I think if i had the choice, I'd go with BV tho) But be careful, I find that some GD bags have lower quality, even in the same style!

I own a GD 24 Heures in periwinkle blue. I don't know or care whether it's 'classic' or not. It's just a beautiful bag. It certainly splays out when you set it down but I think that's part of the bag's appeal. When I set mine down and leave it open you can see everything inside and it looks like a workman's toolbag! Also, the leather is great. I visited Harrod's and Harvey Nichol's in London last week, to look at Balenciaga bags. Quite honestly, I felt the GD leather was better. Mine is calfskin which I believe is tougher and wears better than lambskin. I'll have to wait and see, because my Balenciaga Twiggy is lambskin (agneau).

I've made a decision. I am going to pass because of two things:

1. I don't like that it sits like an amoeba! and 2. I don't like that the quality of the bag changes depending upon where you buy it. I have a Gryson Tutu that opens and does the same thing and while I love the bag, I find it hard every time I am looking for something to find it. My search continues!

I've made a decision. I am going to pass because of two things:

1. I don't like that it sits like an amoeba! and 2. I don't like that the quality of the bag changes depending upon where you buy it. I have a Gryson Tutu that opens and does the same thing and while I love the bag, I find it hard every time I am looking for something to find it. My search continues!

:sad:

I definitely think Gerard Darel bags are classic.
Their shape is really simple, the leather is gorgeous and they age really well (I bought my first one in 2007 and the leather is TDF, even more beautiful than some really expansive bags...) However, it is true that when placed down they tend to expand but if you chose a 24h with pockets (I think it's this one you're referring to) it's not so bad, they still keep their shape (I have 2 24h with pockets and a simple one and the difference is quite big)

Hope this helps!

I'm so glad I found this thread! I've been yearning on and off over the 24h for three years now. It is currently on sale 50% off at Seattle Clutch and at the right price for me. I did some googling and tpfing and found negative reviews over the bag splaying out when you put it down. However, its good to know that the 24h Zip is better. I purchased it just 5 minutes ago and can't wait to get it!

I love the 24, 36, and 48 hours bags, as well as the hobo, and think of them as pretty classic. I purchased a 24 hours zip last year brand new from a wonderful consignment store, and was really excited to get it - but then when I received it the leather felt odd (very plasticky, in fact - as was the hardware). I did some research on here and discovered that the bag I received was part of a bad batch was sold in the States in the last few years through Shop Rumour, I believe. :sad:

This is actually my only problem with GD bags (I don't care about the amoeba issue, lol!) - the quality can be rather inconsistent. Luckily, I was able to return mine.

Please let us know how yours works out, IcyBlue - the zip design is my favorite!

BgaHolic dear - Don't abandon your dream. Go for the BV!! :yahoo:

I have a 24 hrs GD that I bought last year in France, and I love it. I certainly understand the amoeba issue, but would point out that these bags have snap closures, so there's really not a huge problem with things falling out. I have more rigid bags (Tod's restyled D-bag) that DON'T have any kind of closure, and they're a much bigger issue for me.

I don't care whether it's in style or not (and, bgaholic, I betcha I'm older than you :P). I just like it and I intend to keep wearing it.

BTW, if I WERE to mention a negative, it's that those dang metallic thingies on the end of the ties jingle when I'm driving down the road with the bag in the car. Drives me mad. Other than that, I like my GD just fine and think it was a great deal for the price.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the 'amoeba' issue! Earlier this aft I rushed into town with my husband, and carried a MBMJ bag. Usually I love this bag but today I was in and out of my bag several times and found getting into it/zipping and unzipping a real pain. I found myself wishing I'd brought my GD instead, because that snap closure is just so user-friendly! Learn to love amoebas, ladies!