warning to buyers re: delivery confirmation

Aug 22, 2006
i sold an hermes scarf to a lovely buyer and shipped via USPS. because it was under $200 the insurance form was the black slip and i used delivery confirmation instead of signature confirmation.

my buyer wrote after a week or so asking about her package, and when i checked the insurance and delivery tickets it showed as delivered a few days after i mailed it. she was home all day that day and did NOT receive the package - there was a subsitute carrier on her route that week and we think it must have been delivered to the wrong address. apparently the black insurance ticket and the delivery confirmation don't require signature, and so there's no way to figure out where it was mistakenly left.

i told her i was covered by paypal seller protection so she should go ahead and file for non-receipt, as i had called paypal and they confirmed she would be covered by buyer protection. well, the person i spoke to was wrong - i WAS covered by seller protection, but because i provided proof of mailing SHE was not under the buyer protection policy. when she filed the claim and i provided tracking, they found in my favor and basically told her "too bad."

of course i filed an insurance claim, and it immediately was denied as having been delivered. i then filed an appeal, and over two months later it is STILL in review. (if it's ultimately denied i intend to refund half of the the buyer's money - so we'll both be out the same amount of loss, rather than her taking the whole loss.)

so if you're buying an item under $200, you may want to have your seller use signature confirmation rather than delivery confirmation to avoid this mess.

Last edited:
One more reason to use SIGNATURE DELIVERY CONFIRMATION for everything you sell. It costs $2.35 (I think) but worth it when you have to prove anything to PP or Ebay. Sorry this happened to you, Dressage.

yep - they found in my favor, but i'll now do that as a seller to make sure my buyers are protected and we can collect the insurance claim.

and as i buyer i'll be asking that my sellers use signature confirmation even if it's under the level that paypal requires and costs me more in shipping.

I guess the thing is a buyer can't MAKE sellers use delivery confirmation or insurance (like it's "optional", right?) but the seller is the one who pays if anything goes wrong. Seller has to be able to prove delivery and if they have taken out insurance from USPS, that is the money that goes to seller. Because the chargeback or refund from PP goes to the buyer!!!! SO many people don't realize this until it's too late.

When you told her to file a claim because YOU were covered, what were you expecting paypal to do for HER?
I guess it just sounds to me like you are disappointed because SHE wasn't covered under buyer protection and that YOU won the claim.

Anyway, I would have HER go to her local USPS and try to find out what happened to her package. I think they will open an investigation with the carrier and try to find out where they left the package.

i told her i was covered by paypal seller protection so she should go ahead and file for non-receipt, as i had called paypal and they confirmed she would be covered by buyer protection. well, the person i spoke to was wrong - i WAS covered by seller protection, but because i provided proof of mailing SHE was not under the buyer protection policy. when she filed the claim and i provided tracking, they found in my favor and basically told her "too bad."

Signature confirmation sometimes means nothing as long as someone signed for it. There's no proof the signature is actually you. My husband receives work packages at home all the time and once I was so busy I just answered the door and signed the package only to later find out that it was actually addressed to my neighbour with her name and address on it. Yes I signed for it and I gave it back to her but if I wasn't honest, signature confirmation does show as received and signed. This is what worries me sometimes.

When you told her to file a claim because YOU were covered, what were you expecting paypal to do for HER?
I guess it just sounds to me like you are disappointed because SHE wasn't covered under buyer protection and that YOU won the claim.

Anyway, I would have HER go to her local USPS and try to find out what happened to her package. I think they will open an investigation with the carrier and try to find out where they left the package.

i was expecting HER to be covered by buyer protection since she paid for something and didn't receive it, AND because PAYPAL told me that she would be covered by it.

of course she tried having the local post office look into it, and they came up with nothing.

as a buyer i would expect to be covered by buyer protection if i paid via paypal and nothing showed up.

If it shows delivered you will have a tough time with a USPS insurance claim.

So basically a carrier can scan that it was delivered, deliver it to the wrong address or worse yet, keep the package, and the intended recipient is simply SOL? What if there was insurance on the package? Isn't the reason for insurance to make sure that the package gets into the hands the intended recipient?

Call me confuzzled.

I don't see the point in paying for insurance if USPS is not going to honor it. I thought all the buyer had to do was write a letter for you to present to USPS saying the item wasn't received. I guess if they have delivery confirmation showing it was delivered "somewhere" that lets USPS off the hook?

I put signature confirmation on anything over $25. It's just safer.

I don't see the point in paying for insurance if USPS is not going to honor it. I thought all the buyer had to do was write a letter for you to present to USPS saying the item wasn't received. I guess if they have delivery confirmation showing it was delivered "somewhere" that lets USPS off the hook?

I put signature confirmation on anything over $25. It's just safer.

As far as USPS is concerned - if that insurance slip shows a scan that the item has been delivered, it's been delivered and that's that. With the scanners - specific house numbers are not listed, the only address information in that scanner is the zip code. So the carrier will scan it delivered, verify that it's the correct zip code (which is already pre-populated for his home office) and hit enter. With signature confirmation or insurance over $200 the signature will also be scanned.

Linda