Hermes - to buy or not to buy?

Miss Sooky

Oct 22, 2006
Hi all, for as long as I can remember I have adored the Hermes Birkin - unoriginal I know, but I am in my 30s and I don't much care about being original, just having stuff I like! Anyway, a windfall makes a Birkin an option for the first time ever, but now . . . I'm hesitating. They are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive and I just need some advice - worth it, not worth it? Anyone got one? Anyone bought one and regretted it? All comments really welcome either via the board or PM! Miss Sooky xx

Hi all, I posted this in the main purses forum before I scrolled down and remembered this sub-forum exists :shame: .

Anyway, for as long as I can remember I have adored the Hermes Birkin - unoriginal I know, but I am in my 30s and I don't much care about being original, just having stuff I like! Anyway, a windfall makes a Birkin an option for the first time ever, but now . . . I'm hesitating. They are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive and I just need some advice - worth it, not worth it? Anyone got one? Anyone bought one and regretted it? All comments really welcome either via the board or PM!

Miss Sooky xx

I like it alot alot alot, but some times i can't help thinking "whaaaaaaat? I could buy a CAR for the amount of money" (even though i'd prefer the birkin over a car, but you get me). If you have the money, buy it, but i would not get myself into serious debt for a handbag. Sorry.

I got addicted to Hermes recently and i purchased few of them.. actually when u get a hermes bag, you kinda save all ur money for another 1 and then another 1.... etc.. I say its worth it 100%

Hello, Miss Sooky and welcome to TPF (I'm kinda new too!)

Congratulations on your windfall....as for being an individual and liking what you like....I understand. The Birkin is very high profile and popular.....and as to being expensive, well, that's relative. It's only money....*grin* and, if you wish, you can get creative and look out for "bargains" in a Birkin, or you can go all the way and buy what you want from a trusted seller...or pick one up in a boutique.

As for being worth it...that's only for you to decide. I don't know if they are or not...however, I feel I'm worth it...I deserve Hermes... Hermes is part of a person's lifestyle. I know, tho, that I can't take it with me....but I'm working on that!

The workmanship is outstanding....the quality, superb....if you feel you deserve these two things in anything you purchase, then, it's worth it. These two things....are what I look for when I'm buying and they are usually expensive qualities....especially when you add in customer demand which creates scarcity.

Here's my opinion: If owning a H bag makes you feel all fuzzy inside and gives you confidence, like it did me, I say go for it. I feel ecstatic every time I get to use my Kelly, and it has been 4 months now since I first got it. I've never really felt this way about my other bags, LV, Chanel, MJ etc. I *know* this is a bag I will have my lifetime. You should not go into debt just to own one however. It has been at least 8 years since I first learned about H and it's taken me that long to feel that I can afford it and taken the step toward owning a H bag.

If you:
1. Have the money for it
2. Like the style

Go for it! The Birkin is a fabulous bag - the crown jewel of my collection anyway! The worth comes from whether or not you love the bag - the status, workmanship, what others think, is all just a bonus.

This is a bag you'll carry for years and can pass down as an heirloom. When you think of it that way, the cost spread out over that many years is not as bad. :smile:

They are SOOOOO expensive. My advice to you, is if you are asking, you are not ready to buy. Save the money and wait. Wait until you get a little interest and the money burns a HOLE in your account and then wait a little longer until you will either be 1000% sure that it is what you want, or you will decide to buy something else. As someone who only pays cash now, I have learned the hard way to REALLY evaluate the power of money. I will torture myself over a 20 dollar purchase if I am not sure I will be thrilled with it. Right now there are so many things I want, but I want to spend money on people for the holidays, so I am on a ban. I am just saying BE SURE that the bag will bring you the most pleasure that the money can bring to you!;) If it is, then GO GET IT!

Hermes, for that matter, any bag, is only worth it if you love it. All I can say is make sure you do your homework before buying one. I did some research buying my first bag, but not enough. My first Birkin was a black togo, but my favorite leather is box. I bought togo because everyone said it was scratch resistant and would handle the abuse and that box scratches too easily. I wore the togo a few times and finally admitted I didn't love it. Moral of the story: do your homework and try to see the bags in person before buying.

I think you should get an Hermes Birkin if you can only settle for the BEST.

Simply because no other bag can claim to be the Creme de la Creme of Arm Candy but the Hermes Birkin. If you feel you deserve the best, and is willing and able to pay for it. Go for it. At the end of the day, the bag should make YOU feel happy. *WINK*

Thanks - that is all really good advice. I am trying so hard not to be ridiculous with money and the point about the car is so true. It's not like I don't have bags either, and some beauties, just not that beauty if you know what I mean . . .I guess I am curious too as to what kind of person has such an amazing but hugely expensive bag - is it all millionaires and fashionistas or are there indulgent but pretty ordinary women celebrating the delights of the Birkin all over the world - I know it's the latter, but it's so interesting to know who those women are and how they got to the point where they thought 'yep, huge amount of money, but let's blow the budget on a Birkin'!

Very true hermesgroupie...I bought a clemence as my first Birkin and didn't love it so I'm on the hunt for a box (if I can ever find one).
Hermes is very worth it, but be careful, that's all you'll ever want!:graucho: