Hermes - to buy or not to buy?

Miss Sooky, everyone has their own value system and what satisfies them, whether a single item is worth the money is a question no on can answer except you because it's your money.

Of course if you are asking "who makes the best bags", the answer would be Hermes hands down... and yes, they will last a long time and will not really go out of "fashion" like some of the other brands.

But at the end of the day, it really depends on your means, the stage of life you're in and your priorities! Good luck!

I guess I am curious too as to what kind of person has such an amazing but hugely expensive bag - is it all millionaires and fashionistas or are there indulgent but pretty ordinary women celebrating the delights of the Birkin all over the world - I know it's the latter, but it's so interesting to know who those women are and how they got to the point where they thought 'yep, huge amount of money, but let's blow the budget on a Birkin'!

This is an interesting, albeit personal question if posed to such women. And really, that goes back to the crux of the issue you raised initially. Buying one of these bags is a personal choice that comes down to personal desires, tastes and individual means. When contemplating the purchase of a kelly or birkin, HG and the others are right:

If YOU love it, and can afford it, then by all means buy one. But yes, it's best to do your homework on the leather and styles before taking the plunge to make sure you're really ready before you leap. Sage advice, really for any big purchases anyone makes.

Choosing a bag (even more so a Hermès bag) is like choosing a car. It's intensely personal and you have to decide what you're after. And every last detail counts.

I don't think there is one type of Hermes owner, except maybe one thing in common: admiration of superior craftmanship. In the space of one day, I saw a sweet elderly lady who was clutching her box kelly for dear life as she crossed the street and a very wealthy-looking woman swinging a croc JPG around.

Miss Sooky...welcome!

As stated already...take your time and do your research. You will know when, if , and what to buy if it is meant for you.

Enjoy posting and learning as much as you can. You will meet a great deal of friends here.

Also, don't worry about posting in the wrong area...I have done it before. Now you know where anything Hermes needs to go!!!

It IS worth it if you love it....as is any purchase! The quality is like no other...that said, I am one that has had to buy and sell more than one to actually figure out what works best for me. The good thing is they hold value...good luck!

Oh yes this is definately one of those Personal choice issues....I can't tell you how many other brand bags I've owned in my lifetime. Many, many. If I had all the money spent on these bags, I could have 20 Hermes bags right now. It really just comes down to your value system, your finances, where you are right now in your life and where you choose to spend your money. Personally, I think it's a far better value to buy an Hermes bag IF YOU LIKE THE STYLES than any other brand. At the end of the day, you have an exquisitely hand made bag that will last not just your lifetime but the lifetime of your children.

I'm on the "fashionista" end of the spectrum. I absolutely adore fashion and try to live as stylishly as I can because i like being surrounded by beauty and quality. That's just me. When I felt ready, I took the plunge and purchased the Birkin I loved. It's slouchy yet has shape, it's soft and supple, yet durable, and it goes with everything. to me, this was a very smart buy. yes, it was expensive, but it is absolutely worth it to me because it's a bag from a company i believe every fashionista SHOULD have in her wardrobe. but be warned, it's not for nothing that everyone's saying once you go H you'll never go back. Can you believe i don't give the slightest about a Chanel bag anymore? Everything else seems inferior as a subsequent purchase after an H bag.

All the ladies have said it so well...
and I want to add in my 2 cents miss sooky...If your getting a Birkin because its a birkin I don't think you should bother spending the money on it because even if you do get it - you'll soon loose that interest...
However if your truly seeing the light and joy of Hermes (its sorta like a magical charm) and you are adoring everything about the label, the designs, the leathers, the colors then I think you will find it worth every penny! Again, if your doubting if its WORTH IT OR NOT...its probably not worth it yet in your eyes. Wait till the day really comes!

I got addicted to Hermes recently and i purchased few of them.. actually when u get a hermes bag, you kinda save all ur money for another 1 and then another 1.... etc.. I say its worth it 100%

I agree!

I haven't slept with my Birkin in my bed yet, my SO would think I was crazy and I don't want my dog to have access to it when I'm sleeping but I wouldn't think twice of doing it!

My best purchase of 2006 evar~!