Do You Intentionally Buy Durable, Yet Uglier Bags for Knock-Around?

NagaJolokia

Living Hard
Nov 25, 2008
To me, it really is completely silly to buy cheaper quality bags for knock-around and buy high quality bags for babying as it completely defeats the purpose. However, I was wondering about a different mentality: Do you ever go aesthetically lower (but not necessarily ugly) for the purpose of knock-around while maintaining durability? I figure some would do this in order to justify not worrying so much about the worn-in, battered appearance in the far future in terms of fixing it or missing it. Some would just figure that a uglier bag (though just as durable as their prettiest ones) would simply be less deserving of a clean look and high and mighty treatment. Either way, what do you think/do?

I buy durable AND nice bags for everyday knock-around use. I don't worry much about bags getting dirty, I want to use them not baby them. If I know that there is a greater chance of my bag getting knocked-around on a particular occasion, I just make sure not to take anything high maintenance (velvet, suede, canvas).

I buy durable AND nice bags for everyday knock-around use. I don't worry much about bags getting dirty, I want to use them not baby them. If I know that there is a greater chance of my bag getting knocked-around on a particular occasion, I just make sure not to take anything high maintenance (velvet, suede, canvas).

Omg, velvet is a pain in the buttocks to take care of like unifinished leather is. Any itty bitty filth or moisture would require me to shake or air dry or take to the dry cleaners. I think I'm going to solely use it for indoor, clean, and uncrowded areas. As for my unfinished leather bags, they might as well be for decoration as I ruined one already by trying to clean it w/ just water, talcum powder, and a towel to get rid of oil stains and that hardly worked. I have to get another one w/ the same colors and everything to store in my closet and use the other one.

I always have one or two 'rainy day' bags. They are usually knock-around totes that can take thundershowers or sitting on the ground at a football stadium.

Whatever they might be they are not ugly, just cheaper, waterproof materials that can take a beating.

Of course not, what would be the point of that? I have a couple bags that I can use to throwing around but they are still expensive and nice looking just very durable, like the Prada nylon or something along those lines.

no, i just use the bags i have. i don't really knock them around per se, but i'm not afraid to use them. if they get dirty then i'll clean them. i want to enjoy them not worship them, kwim?

Not really.

I own some bags that I know can get wet/dirty/whatever, but I like them. I spend less if I expect the bag may be treated roughly, but I don't play any kind of mind games about a bag I'd miss less.

Nope, will not get an ugly bag cos I wld end up not using it, then what is the point. Hceap, cute, fun bags, yes; and those wld be used for knocking ard (aka, thrown on the airplane floor under the seat in front of me when I travel).