Would you carry your Hermes to a job interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a tough call on the Made in China subject. If the origin of the object is Chinese, then yes, absolutely, Made in China is the right thing. Personally, I feel that prices do not reflect true cost of labor and honestly, with respect to Coach, they have fallen so far away from the true beginnings of their image. I no longer know what to make of them.

Personally, we need to retain our craftsmen and train younger generation to take over the reins. I would never drop the kind of money at Hermes if I know all their goods were being mass manufactured.

Thanks for all your input, gals. Rose has given me a wonderful idea with respect to Whitebus, I promise I'll look at it. Bolide et al looks wonderful but I need a heavily structured bag/briefcase.

Lots to lug around :smile:

It's a tough call on the Made in China subject. If the origin of the object is Chinese, then yes, absolutely, Made in China is the right thing. Personally, I feel that prices do not reflect true cost of labor and honestly, with respect to Coach, they have fallen so far away from the true beginnings of their image. I no longer know what to make of them.

I agree. If I'm buying Dooney & Bourke then I want it to be Made in USA because their items were originally made in USA and therefore their price point was too. When they start making them in China but still kept the same price, I stopped buying them. Now that I look back, I don't like their new styles anyway ...

I've never purchased Coach so I don't know how they are - I have heard lots of praise about the brand though.. But seeing that their price point was based on Made in USA price point, I'd prefer buying the Made in USA ones as well. Same goes with all other brands. I know I wouldn't buy Gucci or Fendi if they're not made in Italy.

:yes: I have "old Coach" and the quality/materials are wonderful. I have a simple black shoulder bag (a smaller but fatter Massai type) and the leather is like butter. DH and I compared my 4 year old Gallery tote to today's Gallery tote and there is no comparison. It makes me sad because I used to work at Coach "back in the day".

Sorry, :back2topic: Hmm I wonder if a Massai in a dark color would be good for an interview? :lol: Not that I'm interviewing for anything, just trying to come up with more reasons why I need one. :sweatdrop:

On the original topic: unless you're interviewing for editor of Vogue - LOL - I'd personally consider it potential career suicide to carry a Birkin or Kelly to your first interview. Time enough for that after you land the job.

You could certainly consider a Whitebus though - room for files/papers and understated. Even a Bolide would probably be okay........just no need to make any sort of a statement (bag or otherwise with your clothing choices) for a first impression IMO.

no, i wouldn't take it with me.. mainly because in my future line of work, I will be working with individuals from the lower SES so bringing that bag, that may not be a good sign of fit with the organization.. I just want to help and do my job.. as for my bag, I can use and bring it somewhere else..

No, I'd leave the bag home

Some years ago, I wore a ring with a large stone to an interview. The interviewer took one look at the ring and pronouced that "I a must have some sugar daddy" despite interviewing for a well paid job , where I could afford the real thing all by myself.

I would carry my Trim II in Rouge and wear it with a black suit. NO ONE reconignizes that bag.
Also, a Bolide or Plume would be fine.
LOVE the Whitebus - classic, elegant and has that "briefcase" look to it. Great for files/papers/agenga...whatever.

I would carry my Trim II in Rouge and wear it with a black suit. NO ONE reconignizes that bag.
Also, a Bolide or Plume would be fine.
LOVE the Whitebus - classic, elegant and has that "briefcase" look to it. Great for files/papers/agenga...whatever.

One time someone asked me if my Bolide was a limited edition LV Alma. :roflmfao:

I wouldn't carry anything recognizable. There are all kinds of people in the world and you don't know which of of them would be interviewing you.
Many, many years ago (in the early 90's) I was a law student in New York interviewing for a summer job. My interviewer, a young male lawyer from a San Francisco firm, actually commented on my Coach black leather tote that I was using to carry my documents around. He was kind of joking, but I could tell he wasn't really. He said something like "Well, maybe you would be better off at [name of conservative top-tier firm in Boston], you and your Coach bag". Needless to say, I didn't get the SF job and ended up going to the Boston firm (and that was the last Coach bag for me!).
From then on, I never carried anything with a recognizable name to any interview. Sometimes I just had a plain folder and a small purse.

So, all you girls who would not carry a Hermes bag..... which bag would you carry to an interview?

Thankfully it's not really an issue, since in interviewing, most people in my field can afford it and we've often not salaried. I think Hermes is generally over the top, esp. if you get an interviewer that recognizes it - remember, you should never dress better than your boss!!

I love the Chanel Cerf tote and the Louis Vuitton Passy GM in Epi leather for interviews - they're big enough to hold my folders and resume, along with the regular essentials, but still very discreet and professional.

Thankfully it's not really an issue, since in interviewing, most people in my field can afford it and we've often not salaried. I think Hermes is generally over the top, esp. if you get an interviewer that recognizes it - remember, you should never dress better than your boss!!

I love the Chanel Cerf tote and the Louis Vuitton Passy GM in Epi leather for interviews - they're big enough to hold my folders and resume, along with the regular essentials, but still very discreet and professional.

The Chanel cerf with the 'M' lock is almost the perfect interview bag!

Status
Not open for further replies.