Would you carry your Hermes to a job interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong number,
I read an article somewhere about career, briefly this is the crux of the matter. 3 Key questions:
1. Do you like and respect the people with whom you would work on a day to day basis?
2. Is the environment and culture in which you can truly be yourself?
3. When you consider the senior-most leadership of the organization, do you aspire to become like them one day?
Looking back at the HP, Patricia Dunn case, I think no one would leave a job/career wishing they had been more mean, spiteful etc etc. It just doesn't pay in the end. Now she's facing felony charges, what an absolute shame to a star career.

Again, sorry for getting off-track here

I would carry one. Not mine (Evelyne) because it's too casual but if I had a trim, whitebus, plume, P-B I would. I always carry a red bag (D&B Alto leather tassel tote) to interviews and it's become my lucky bag because every time I've carried it I've gotten the job. It just gives me a boost of confidence seeing the cheery red color I think. :lol:

PS: Frankly, I would leave all Hermes bags at home for most job interviews. I wouldn't at all consider bringing any kind of Hermes bag to an interview, although I might bring an Hermes card case or appointment book in my more non-descript bag.

Really, TokyoTraveller? Not even the Whitebus, looks non-descript enough to me, LOL, but then, I don't live in Tokyo where you can get wonderful color catalogs from 3rd party publications. My Hermes store here is so small, they'll be lucky if they can showcase 10 bags!

Wrong number,
I read an article somewhere about career, briefly this is the crux of the matter. 3 Key questions:
1. Do you like and respect the people with whom you would work on a day to day basis?
2. Is the environment and culture in which you can truly be yourself?
3. When you consider the senior-most leadership of the organization, do you aspire to become like them one day?
Looking back at the HP, Patricia Dunn case, I think no one would leave a job/career wishing they had been more mean, spiteful etc etc. It just doesn't pay in the end. Now she's facing felony charges, what an absolute shame to a star career.

Again, sorry for getting off-track here

Thanks for that Vicky and the answer is that in almost all my jobs, the answer would have been an unequivocal "no" to the first 2 questions.

:back2topic: That's why I'm so relieved to be out of the office environment. I can carry my Hermes bags without having to deal with negative reactions from my co-workers or immediate bosses.

So, all you girls who would not carry a Hermes bag..... which bag would you carry to an interview?

That's a tough one. I'd make it the most discreet, unrecognisable bag of good quality.

The trouble is, I haven't had to worry about discretion for some time now, so I'd almost have to beg, borrow or steal a bag for an interview! :P

Failing which, I'd probably use my black Celine Boogie. It doesn't scream, is the right size for work and looks discreet and professional.

In most cases, I think it's a bad idea to carry a Hermes of any model to a job interview in the U.S. unless you're interviewing for the editor of a fashion magazine. I say U.S. because it may be different in other countries. Although some models of Hermes is not as well-known, if your interviewer happens to be knowledgeable about Hermes, he/she will still know you're carrying Hermes and that CAN affect your interview.

Quite honestly, I would NOT carry ANY super-expensive designer brands (that means Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Gucci, Fendi, etc) to an interview unless it's under $300. You should be okay carrying Dooney & Bourke or Coach to an interview (they're namebrands but not in an exorbitant range) though.

So, all you girls who would not carry a Hermes bag..... which bag would you carry to an interview?

Namebrand-wise I would carry Dooney & Bourke, Coach, or Kate Spade (I don't have any of those though). I generally stick with non-brandnames.

I learned the hard way that bringing expensive bags to work can have negative repercussion. I didn't get a raise this year and I heard through the gravevine from several sources that it was because my SVP recognized my Kelly bag.

IMO I guess it depends on where you live.
Its nothing for people to be walking the streets of TO with LV/ Hermes on their hand. So to wear it for an interview I dont see how that would be odd.

I guess it would depend on the job and where it was(city). In my area i doubt anyone would even know what that bag was.

I mean if i'm apply for a job at a factory no i wouldnt carry anything but a black handbag/nothing special.

Personally I'd carry it. Regardless of the bag I carry that has nothing to bdo with the job i can do. Perhaps a family member passed it on or passed away and left me money.

Like someone said perhaps I did well a my last job to afford it, and whos to say I didnt buy it used?

I guess it goes back to assuming. Just because someone carries an expensive bag doesnt mean she has money. I've seen people get out of X5's 80K SUV's carying a fake. *rolls eyes*
I'd assume of you could afford that 4.8 X5 you could afford a real bag.

Just because someone carries an expensive bag doesnt mean she has money. I've seen people get out of X5's 80K SUV's carying a fake. *rolls eyes*
I'd assume of you could afford that 4.8 X5 you could afford a real bag.

Or those are the ppl who believe in investing money in cars more than in bags. I know a few like that. They don't understand why I drop 10K on a bag, I just don't argue with them anymore:lol:

I still have an old Coach briefcase. However, I've stopped buying them when I realized that they are now being mass manufactured in China. I firmly believe if the brand comes from USA, it should say 'Proudly Made In USA'. If it's Loewe, it should be made in Spain, LV should be made in France, Porter made in Japan etc. Otherwise, how else can one control quality?

Sigh......I work in a job that pays something along the lines of one and half thousand US Dollars a month(Hey, this is Malaysia!! LOL).

Honestly, when my bosses or clients, visit me. I leave the Hermes at home. It just isn't worth the hassle and the odd remark. My better half bought me my bags and stuff that I would never be able to afford - just having to explain at all escapes me. So I just use Prada or at the very most, LV if they're around - which isn't all that often, thank god! Some of my clients have seen me using H at events and functions and my bosses are aware, it's just that I feel I have to tow some sort of line. At the end of the day, I know I should not complain. It's better this way than to not have any nice Birkins at all.

I still have an old Coach briefcase. However, I've stopped buying them when I realized that they are now being mass manufactured in China. I firmly believe if the brand comes from USA, it should say 'Proudly Made In USA'. If it's Loewe, it should be made in Spain, LV should be made in France, Porter made in Japan etc. Otherwise, how else can one control quality?

I don't think just because an item is manufactured in China it will mean bad quality control. There're a lot of things made in China that are of impeccable quality and details - double-sided silk embroidery, cloissane, the list goes on. That said, I did stop buying Kate Spade when they are becoming Made in China - because cost of labor is MUCH LOWER in China so if I'm paying the SAME price regardless, then they should adjust it accordingly, which these companies don't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.