What are some fancy shoes FOR MEN?

Tell me those are a joke. If I saw someone wearing any of those, I would think he is a joke and major “fashun”victim. No, just no.

Agreed with @880. To each their own.

[Edit] News article about this Canadian brand. An excerpt:

They're sold around the world, and they've been worn by celebrities from Madonna to Beyoncé, and from Lady Gaga to Alice Cooper — as well as a whole lot of regular people, from punks to office workers.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 880 and JulieKat
whether or not they are to one’s taste, (and they are certainly not mine lol) John fluevog occupies a unique niche in North American Shoe craft. I am not all that familiar with JF but I seem to recall Pacific NW Artsy Grunge and Rock & Roll as his sensibility. JF shoes are fit for rock stars in part bc they also had his patented special comfort soles and unique structure (inspired by shoes made by a 1950s Mexican manufacturing company). So despite their flamboyant appearance, JF does construct a shoe of merit.

I would argue that Fluevogs probably belong to this thread of ‘Fancy Shoes’ more than the mainstream, logo intensive Kering company fashion, department store brands, like Burberry, Gucci, Ferregamo, etc. Those, while expensive, might not quite meet the definition of ‘fancy’ relative to the bohemian JF or the very different form of ‘fancy’ evinced by premier luxury giants like Hermes, John Lobb, perhaps even Weston. Weston, IMO, straddles that line of more fashion fancy than sartorial. IMO, the jury is still out as to whether a woman’s shoe brand like Louboutin or Manolo that are certainly popular and pricy fashion statements can even compare to their sartorial cousins.

My definition of ‘fancy’ includes ‘regular’ names like Edward Green and anything sold by Leffot NY (though I’m not sure EG would be ‘fancy’ enough for @Christofle lol :lol: Not sure If Crockett & Jones or Carmina or Alden fit either. IMO, though many would disagree, Milanese fashion, most prominent name being brunello Wouldn’t qualify as a ‘fancy’ shoe bc of their construction and well lack of bona fide heritage, and I’m only half joking :P There are also bespoke and MtM companies who schedule trunk show appointments out of hotel suites. S9me of their shoes are gorgeous, but to me, they aren’t quite ‘fancy ‘ either.

what I mean to say is ‘fancy‘ encompasses as wide, or as narrow, a swath as one would like, :smile: having little to do with individual taste or aesthetics.
I've been trying to get @Christofle to list his top tier shoe brands, but he ain't having it lol.

• Haha
Reactions: yuzulife
whether or not they are to one’s taste, (and they are certainly not mine lol) John fluevog occupies a unique niche in North American Shoe craft. I am not all that familiar with JF but I seem to recall Pacific NW Artsy Grunge and Rock & Roll as his sensibility. JF shoes are fit for rock stars in part bc they also had his patented special comfort soles and unique structure (inspired by shoes made by a 1950s Mexican manufacturing company). So despite their flamboyant appearance, JF does construct a shoe of merit.

I would argue that Fluevogs probably belong to this thread of ‘Fancy Shoes’ more than the mainstream, logo intensive Kering company fashion, department store brands, like Burberry, Gucci, Ferregamo, etc. Those, while expensive, might not quite meet the definition of ‘fancy’ relative to the bohemian JF or the very different form of ‘fancy’ evinced by premier luxury giants like Hermes, John Lobb, perhaps even Weston. Weston, IMO, straddles that line of more fashion fancy than sartorial. IMO, the jury is still out as to whether a woman’s shoe brand like Louboutin or Manolo that are certainly popular and pricy fashion statements can even compare to their sartorial cousins.

My definition of ‘fancy’ includes ‘regular’ names like Edward Green and anything sold by Leffot NY (though I’m not sure EG would be ‘fancy’ enough for @Christofle lol :lol: Not sure If Crockett & Jones or Carmina or Alden fit either. IMO, though many would disagree, Milanese fashion, most prominent name being brunello Wouldn’t qualify as a ‘fancy’ shoe bc of their construction and well lack of bona fide heritage, and I’m only half joking :P There are also bespoke and MtM companies who schedule trunk show appointments out of hotel suites. S9me of their shoes are gorgeous, but to me, they aren’t quite ‘fancy ‘ either.

what I mean to say is ‘fancy‘ encompasses as wide, or as narrow, a swath as one would like, :smile: having little to do with individual taste or aesthetics.
Thank you for your encyclopedic explanation. Too long, sorry I did not read it all. I am familiar with Fluevog shoes. I worked close to the NYC store in the early 90s. The windows full of ridiculous clown shoes (“fashun”) made us wonder what man would buy that crazy stuff. I have never met a man IRL who dared to sport such outlandish shoes. Clearly, I did not run in grunge circles back in the day. 😜 My definition of “fancy” is elegant, not ridiculous (fashion vs “fashun”), but carry on.

• Angry
Reactions: qubed

I had a pair of Fluevogs... got them when I was on maternity leave with my now 26 yo, and while they're worn out now, I still have them in my closet because they are so beautiful. And comfortable.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and yuzulife
There is room in fashion for the sublime, the ironic, the ridiculous, and the fancy,
especially if one thinks, as I do, that fashion, like any of the arts (I’m a visual artist)
is a form of self expression. To be otherwise is to seriously lack a sense of humor :lol::P

When I look at some premier ‘fancy’ shoes, I think the designer must be trolling us,
and yet, they fly off the shelves. Jolie laide is quite fashionable after all.

Reactions: Tasha1
Crockett & Jones Xmas slippers:
THE-ARTICLE-BANNER-christmas-slippers.jpg

Crockett & Jones Oxford:
oxford%2520shoes_0009_Crockett%2520and%2520jones.jpg

Gaziano & Girling Oxford:
Gaziano-Girling-oxford-shoes.jpg

Last edited:
Brunello Cucinelli Nubuck:
1695058858-screen-shot-2023-09-18-at-1-40-45-pm-65088ba135e78.png

Socks:

Anderson & Sheppard ribbed knit wool blend: