upset...Another unhappy event to add to the list

UGH-so sorry! Pleas have faith! There will be another man! You are plenty young! I met my current DH at 28 and we were married 3 months later!! HEE HEE You did the right thing for you. If you want to be married then you need to find someone who is on the same page as you! Good Luck!!

^^ haha, met mine at 26 and were married 3 months later too!!!! ;)

it will happen, 30 is no biggie. don't be too stressed about it, just look at the bright side of being single again and having time for your family. don't waste another moment IMO and relax. don't go into serious committment mode as soon as you meet someone - just evaluate if a guy is for you. oh, and yell once in a while - it helps!

all the best and good luck (just forget the guy!)

i am sorry that you are having trouble in your life and that your bf has broken off the relationship. you have asked about saying some things to him i would not have any further contact with him given the circumstances.

i think you should work toward moving on with your life. try to look on the bright side. even when bad things seem to surround us most of us still have much to be grateful for. if you really wish to find someone to build a life with you need to try to be upbeat and not a victim. best of luck to you i know it is not easy but you can do it. :yes:

I'm sorry that you are hurt, but please, PLEASE don't look at the time you had with him as a waste. Everyone we meet teaches us something we need to learn, everything that happens to us, happens for us. Have faith.

I KNOW how you are feeling!! I was with a man that I was in love with and dated for 3 years when I was 30....he would NOT move forward in the relationship and kept me hanging on for what felt like forever. One day I had ENOUGH and I ended it. Moved back to the states and it felt like my heart was broken into a million pieces....the one day...not longer than 2 months later this wonderful man came into my life life a hurricane...moved in with me 2 weeks later:wtf: :wtf: per my fathers heavy influence..and 8 months later we were married...we love each other so much and its like my whole life was in preparation for his arrival....still....
I would for sure let your ex know how you feel...its so cleansing...and take some time to heal your heart...and stay aware and open as I know the one for you has to be around the corner! Take care...I will be thinking of you.

Girl, if you need to yell, you should yell!! Go and see him and let it rip, don't let him get a word in sideways, just get it all off your chest, don't worry about how it looks or how he would feel, who cares? Just let it all out so he knows how you feel and then let it go.

You are young (hell, what's 30, most of my friends started new relationships in their 30's), don't think of the years with him as a waste, but an experience that's made you wiser. Sometimes I think it might be hard to know exactly what you want, but there's plenty of men who will let you find out what you don't want, LOL

I'm sorry you're feeling bad, but hey, spring's on its way, here's to new beginnings:drinkup:

I'm sorry that you are hurt, but please, PLEASE don't look at the time you had with him as a waste. Everyone we meet teaches us something we need to learn, everything that happens to us, happens for us. Have faith.

^^Yes...

So why the ultimatum? Were things going ok aside from that? And if he was in love with you, why did he break things off so easily? How was he afraid of commitment? Did he cheat on you over the past 4 years?

Well, we've been together for 3.5 yrs and throughout this time, i was under the impression that we were going to get married and it was a matter of when and not whether we would get married. i went through some difficult problems about 6 months ago which required me to leave the US to take care of things for a little while. and during then, i felt like he wasn't coming through. given the situation, i think most guys would have proposed by then. and i was quite disappointed that it didn't seem to affect or faze him to do anything.

It was then that i saw for the first time that he had a commitment issue. he last 2 relationships were long term relationships that lasted 4-5 years each and each ended because he said he didn't want to get married and he said it was because it wasn't right for him and he wasn't happy in those relationships. and i believed him all the time that it was right until about 6 mths ago when i felt like he should have stepped up and committed to the relationship and he didn't. and i'm now beating myself up for not seeing that earlier. i never never realized i had fallen into the "but i'm different and it won't happen to me" trap until i recognized the fact the he was commitment phobic.

so i said we need to either get engaged or beak up. i don't want to spend more time on a relationship that isn't going anywhere you know.

our relationship has always been great. We don't quarrel, we treat each other well and we enjoy each other's company and do things the other likes. and I treat him incredibly well. maybe i should have been more of a *****!

As far as i know, he hasn't cheated on me. I once caught him on the pc with links to a couple of profiles on an online dating site. he said he didn't go to the site etc etc etc. i didn't believe him but i let it pass after i asked him whether he was interested in meeting other ppl. and if he was he should be up front and tell me. he said no. he had this very close female friend and there might have been some emotional cheating there but i can't really say whether or not it happened. i was concerned enough about it and we discussed it but i never asked him point blank about the emotional cheating. i don't think guys get that.

As for the question of why he broke things off so easily, i guess he didn't value me or the relationship enough, maybe he wasn't that in love with me.
and i think he's finding excuses to not commit through marriage. and his personality is also that he wants things to be easy. i think we could have worked out the fact that we're apart for the next few months but everything needs to be easy for him. it's one of my concerns about him. my philosophy is that relationships and a marriage requires work. there will be bigger problems in a marriage than being apart for a few months. and if you can't work through that, then you might not be able to work through the bigger unforseen issues that marriage or a long term relationship brings.

Some of this makes sense in my head but it still hurts nonetheless. and i still feel somewhat cheated of the last 4 years of my 20s, staying in the relationship i thought was going to end in marriage.

^^Yes...

So why the ultimatum? Were things going ok aside from that? And if he was in love with you, why did he break things off so easily? How was he afraid of commitment? Did he cheat on you over the past 4 years?

I think you did the right thing. If you want to get married it was long enough. Frankly I had a similar conversation with my now fiance, right before he proposed - I was like 'where is this relationship going?' I think there is nothing wrong with an ultimatium, after all its really about saying what you want and need out of the relationship - men always give their own form of ultimatium - I need more time, space, whatever. I also know people who have gotten engaged after putting their foot down.

And 30 isn't old - that's ridiculous. Frankly most of my male friends date close to their age - the ones that don't I find rather immature.

Obviously, I'm Mr Anti-Marriage, so it bothers me when girls say a guy is afraid of commitment, when he's been commited to you for almost 4 years. He's not afraid of commitment, he's afraid of being married to you. However, given the fact that he didn't really fight much when you gave your ultimatum, perhaps he wasn't really into the relationship anymore, and you're better off without him.
Again, it's not a waste of time. I'm sure you guys had some great memories together, so use this as a learning experience and if you're really wanting to get married, make that a point from the get go. Still, sometimes, guys change their mind. He seemed in line with getting married, but turned out he didn't want it. I'm thinking something's happened recently with him that's turned him against it.
Good luck....dating is about ups and downs. You have to sift through the junk to find your treasure, so don't be bitter about it.

I'm so sorry you are going through this! *Hug*
I know how it feels...I had two long term relationships in my 20s (5 yrs) and used to beat myself up for not moving on and meeting other guys, but as soon as I turned 30, I made up for it! You are young!!! 30s are the new 20s! You deserve to be with someone who values your love and kindness, and you will find him! It's time to take care of you. Focus on you and your family first, and then things will fall into place.

Even though it hurts right now, consider that you are free from a relationship that only benefitted your boyfriend and now you can focus on your happiness and your needs. Yell at him when you are ready, and if you don't say anything, that's OK! Don't waste any more time or emotions on this guy. It is definitely his loss. And if he was looking at profiles, that means his mind is not on you and your relationship.

You will find the right man, you will see. And like Charles said, you do have to sift through junk to find your treasure. It will be an adventure (I sifted for a while, until I met my BF) or maybe not (others have found their mate very quickly). But enjoy these years of your life and let this selfish man go. You deserve better! Take care!

:sad: so sorry to hear about the break up...but the silver lining to this is that now you are able to find a REAL man who shares the same goals as you and is willing and ready to commit!!!! good luck to you...all my best :heart: :heart:

The time we spend in a relationship is never a waste of time. It teaches you further what you are looking for in a life partner. It also teaches you what you will not put up with the next time around.
I thank all my ex's for that :roflmfao:

If marriage is what you want don't spend time with someone sitting on the fence. - esp after 4 years.
You did the right thing.
Please re-read your thread when he wants back into your life.
I met my husband when I was 30.
Thank god I didn't marry any of the guys I met in my 20s !

First of all, it must seem like you're being given more problems and stress than you can handle. It's obvious you're a caring person and it weighs on you.

I can't see a single thing that you did wrong--it was apparently understood that your relationship would lead to marriage and when (after 3.5 years!) you ask for something solid, he once again bails out. It's him, not you, but that doesn't make it feel any better. I'm sure you know this---you are suffering a big loss and going thru the stages of grief---your anger is normal. You will get thru this but in the meantime it hurts a lot. You could try writing a letter telling him everything you'd like to yell at him, then burn it. Think twice about confronting him--I don't think you would get the closure you want.

The time may seem wasted to you, but if you learned something then you gained something worthwhile. I hope you don't continue to think you're too old. Not every good man is looking for 25 and younger. Get right with yourself again and things will fall into place.

(((hugs)))

I have to say LIFE CHANGES SOOO FAST. Two years ago my life was completely different and two years before that, even more different. You have to get out there and make your life what you want it to be.