The Truth About Designer Goods

Status
Not open for further replies.
On this forum it's not always the way someone poses a question or makes a statement. I think it just touched a nerve because many people on here don't like to necessarily admit that the main reason they like these bags, even with the huge markups, is the brand name and in some cases the status that goes along with it.

This is exactly what I wanted to say but didn't want stones thrown at me. :shame:

I have to agree that the quality is not the best! I have some "designer" bags that after a month of use they are falling apart. And I just bought a spy bag and now I read that many are falling apart. For a $2100 bag, I don't think it should fall apart. But I continue to buy them b/c they make me feel good.

Other purchases (designer and otherwise) from stores back home- brand spanking new.

I.N.C Winter Coat : $10
Elie Tahari Jeans: $6.95 (these had their labels cut vertically to prevent resale)
Gloria Vanderbilt Jeans : $5.95
London Fog winter coat: $15

Noritake bone china: $50 for a whole 8 place dinner service

I was seriously surprised and amazed when I came over to US and found all these things at much, much higher prices...

From a DBF's perspective:

Designer women's goods (particularly shoes/accessories) vs. designer men's goods are in two different worlds when it comes to craftsmanship. I would subscribe to the theory that some women's clothing is very well-made (I've seen some St. John's stuff that looks like it would hold up pretty well) but on average, it isn't constructed to last. They appeal more to the aesthetic senses than the functional senses. Men's clothing, and that is to say the items in the same price bracket as the clothing/items that you fine ladies are fond of, are typically built to persevere for 10 to 20, and on up in years. This cannot necessarily be said for the cashmere or Super 180 wool suits made by Kiton, but the hours of actual work that go into them are second to none, especially for ready to wear. When we get into bespoke goods, it's an entirely different world with the accompanying price to boot.

That being said, do I need 800 dollar shoes? No, probably not. Fortunately, however, I can wear my 800 dollar shoes for the next 20 years, most likely every other day, and with the proper maintenance they will look fantastic. That isn't to say I will, but then again, men's shoes haven't changed a whole heck of a lot in 80 years. Can the same be said for a pair of Chanel heels? Doubtful. I do like the fact that I see Chanel purses that have held up for many years, and look good doing so.

Designers of women's high fashion typically aren't about the "utility." They want you to buy it because it's "cute" or "in style".. My girl and I are in the mid-100K salary range - we cannot afford to spend 3,000 dollars on anything that isn't classically-designed and heartily-constructed. Your John Lobbs or Edward Greens are going to be better-constructed than your Kenneth Coles and Steve Maddens. It's a fact of life. Is it worth the markup? Only the purchaser can be the judge. They're going to try to get as much out of it as possible. It's a capitalist society we live in; everyone is going to adhere to the theory of self-preservation. If you knew you could make 20 or 30k more at your job (emphasis on DOING THE SAME JOB), would you refrain? Highly bloody unlikely. I, for one, can't blame them.

I find it interesting that some of the driving factors for men to purchase luxury goods and for women to purchase luxury goods seem to be based in the concepts of men being more logical, etc. and women being more emotional, etc. Seems like the producers of the goods agree as that's typically how they market them.

Rant aside, if you don't like 'em, don't buy 'em. Part of what makes them so desirable is the high price - it offers exclusivity, a sense of accomplishment, and for some, increases their sense of self-worth. I'm not sure I'm ok with the last part, but to each their own.

I am still trying to figure out what everyone around here does that breaks so many freakin bags??? I have never had a bag break, or if I did, it was once or so in my life! Designer or not, I am thinking there must be an awful lot of stuff in them...LOL:nuts:

I know you were - it's a funny idea! :lol:

Just imagine if you did it and you got caught - US customs would be on the news for 'busting' a new bra smuggling ring!!! :lol:

Yeah, maybe I could wear the bras one on top of the other...could surprise and impress the customs officials with the size of my bosoms!

I am with you! I am trying to figure out what the heck Denial wants from us???? Not really understanding the motive???? :confused1:

Look at all the heated responses, harsh words, and derogatory comments in this thread and I think you will understand Denial's motives. I, for one, am not going to be sucked into this nonsense.:noggin:

"Yeah, maybe I could wear the bras one on top of the other...could surprise and impress the customs officials with the size of my bosoms!"
Wowza...thy would be pretty big, then, I bet!!!

Denial

You forget that when you purchase a "quality" bag at LV or Gucci or wherever, you are paying for "quality" whether you get it or not. What I mean is, if I pay $2100 for a bag at LV and it falls apart in 6 months, I can march right in there and they will stand by this bag. If I tried to take a $40.00 bag back to Target 3 months later they would look at me like I had 3 heads.

My point is, that whether we buy the stuff because we like the designer, we like the look of it, we think it is quality or whatever whim strikes us that day that makes us buy, it is our choice where our hard earned money goes. And since you also concede that you own some of these bags for the same reason/s that we do, it is really hard to understand what your point is. Is it okay for you to like them but not us? I guess I am trying to understand your message. You are saying, I am not like you because I think buying these purses is ridiculous, the mark up is too high, there are moral issues and it is just wrong and you ladies should not do this. But then you say, don't judge me too harshly because I too have LV and Hermes and I like them because I like them. What the heck??? :confused1:

The only designer bags I buy are LV, and while I freely admit that the status factor figures into my purchasing decision, I also genuinely believe that LV bags are of higher quality than less expensive bags I have owned. Upon examination of the bag, it's quite clear that it's just not even in the same ballpark. Even my mother, who doesn't give a fig about status and doesn't understand why I spend the money to purchase LV, admits this fact.

I'm not going to say that this is true for all designer bags, however.

That being said, do I need 800 dollar shoes? No, probably not. Fortunately, however, I can wear my 800 dollar shoes for the next 20 years, most likely every other day, and with the proper maintenance they will look fantastic. That isn't to say I will, but then again, men's shoes haven't changed a whole heck of a lot in 80 years. Can the same be said for a pair of Chanel heels? Doubtful. I do like the fact that I see Chanel purses that have held up for many years, and look good doing so.

With respect, I think you are wrong there.

Think of the pointed toes of the sixties, the platforms of the '70s, the traditional styles of the '80s and the minimal styles of the '90s. You may be able to wear your shoes for the next 20 years, but you will, no doubt, look unfashionable for at least 10 of those years, if you do.

There are fashions in menswear as well as womenswear; they tend to move more slowly and generally lag behind women's fashion (as heterosexual men tend to be less daring with new styles than women), but they do exist.

I am still trying to figure out what everyone around here does that breaks so many freakin bags??? I have never had a bag break, or if I did, it was once or so in my life! Designer or not, I am thinking there must be an awful lot of stuff in them...LOL:nuts:

Same here. :shrugs:

But then, 'emotional' as I no doubt am, I never buy a bag that doesn't seem to be good quality (designer or not).

Denial

You forget that when you purchase a "quality" bag at LV or Gucci or wherever, you are paying for "quality" whether you get it or not. What I mean is, if I pay $2100 for a bag at LV and it falls apart in 6 months, I can march right in there and they will stand by this bag. If I tried to take a $40.00 bag back to Target 3 months later they would look at me like I had 3 heads.

I actually did that - take a bag that was coming apart back to Target...and they refunded my credit card. I took it back several months after purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.