The Truth About Designer Goods

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Hmm...maybe I could bring in like 500 VS bras and sell them on ebay...but then customs might wonder why I need so much underwear!

If I bought 500 for $500 US...and sold them at $20 each....I would be getting $10,000. Subtract the original $500 and I would have a profit of $9500...HOLY COW!!

:nuts: :lol:

I actually agree. I love my designer stuff and think the quality is bit better but not incremental better based on price.

Hermes is great, hand stitched, wonderful materials and all that...but it is not 5 to 10 times better than Vuitton, Gucci, etc.

Vuitton and Gucci, etc are well made, but not 3-5 times better than coach.

Coach is nice, but not 2-10 times better than your average leather bag....

...I think you see where I am going with this.

So, yes it boils down to style and prestige (although I don't think many readily admit it).

The designer brand I like the most is Vuitton, so I continue to buy it, even though I know it is way over priced. I own a few Hermes, but use them that much and friends think I am crazy...after all it is 'the holy grail'....but the styles just don't work as well for me, so....oh, well....

The all are just bags, afterall.

why where is it made...?

Umamanikam: Both Victoria's Secret and Triumph bras are made in factories in Sri Lanka. These factories sell their overstock and closeouts on the local market. A Triumph bra (don't know how much it retails for in the UK) sells for about $1 (US) as do VS bras.

I was kidding about bringing over a bunch to US and selling them on ebay...:P Ha..me bra smuggler extraordinaire!!

Seriously though I think customs would not allow it to be taken out of the country in large quantities.

Marked up 90%, huh? Yup, not surprised. I've always thought that with designer stuff, most of what we're paying for is the name. Right now, I'm obsessed with Spy bags. I don't care that it's Fendi. I really couldn't care less what celeb is carrying it. I'm just crazy about the design. I didn't want a knock off cos I wanted quality and that scrumptious, bubbly leather . Funny thing about that is I've read here that some Spy owners have had problems with their bags malfunctioning/breaking. All this money and these bags are actin' up!? So, long story short, I totally believe what you're sayin', Denial. And it makes me wonder the actual cost of making the Spy bags. Especially that bubble jacket Spy! $2100 my :censor:!

The designs are original and quality superior.

Knockoffs might be very similar but nothing beats the original's quality.

Actually, I think sometimes the designs are original, sometimes even if 'higher end' things they are copied and 'borrowed'. and 'inspire' other. Thus is the nature of the beast in design.

Honestly I have not seen the point yet, i.e. I'm not sure what conclusion the original post is trying to lead to. The huge markup on brand products (or even most of the products) is inappropriate? The quality of the brand products is not worth the money? Or everybody better admit that buying brand products is for our own vanity instead of the consideration of quality, otherwise we will just be untruthful to ourselves? ......Here I humbly request some clarification on what this discussion is about. :confused1:

I am with you! I am trying to figure out what the heck Denial wants from us???? Not really understanding the motive???? :confused1:

Exactly. She framed her opinion with inflammatory and insulting comments. I'm surprised that went over anyone's head.

I don't think it 'went over my head' at all, as I said before, I actually agree...lol....sometimes I laugh at myself. I easily admit I am pay to much for bags and accesories, so the comments were not inflamatory to me at all.

Common, you got laugh at yourself when you pay over 1300.00 for a shiny, vinyl, bag...as I did recently, purchasing the Vuitton mirrior speedy....and were excited at the chance to do so on the release day....now that's some good marketing! But I don't take offense at those kinda of remarks, because I recogonize it's true.

Bottom line is, it is crazy, it is expensive, but I happen to like that flavor of kool-aid, so fill me up :smile:

Happy day......friend!
:nuts: I leave for a few minutes to enjoy the holidays, and miss out on all the chuckles!!:roflmfao: :roflmfao:

Have a blessed day!:flowers:

(oh...and buy whatever you want because you can and it makes you happy, not because you are brainwashed...)
That would be an interesting study...I wonder if you could take a totally unfashionable (is that a word?) person and brainwash them into dressing with a bit of taste? HMMMMMM I know a few people that would be good to try it out on...

Status
Not open for further replies.