The Truth About Designer Goods

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I guess this happens due to the way the OP poses the question. It was an inflammatory way in which to start a thread.
On this forum it's not always the way someone poses a question or makes a statement. I think it just touched a nerve because many people on here don't like to necessarily admit that the main reason they like these bags, even with the huge markups, is the brand name and in some cases the status that goes along with it.

Fact: if you read a quarterly report for Gucci (which is a public company) it is clearly stated that all products are marked up 90%. That means that our $1000 bags cost about $100 to make, (probably less because of the volume of accessories produced.)

Um, don't you mean a 900% mark-up?

A 90% mark-up on a $100 bag would be $90, resulting in a $190 retail price; not $900, resulting in a $1,000 retail price, wouldn't it?!! :shrugs:

90% x $100 = $90

900% x $100 = $900​

Also, remember that, as well as selling through their own boutiques, designers sell through retailers and they can't charge less than their retailers; so the mark-up, when they sell directly, will be much higher than the mark-up when they sell through their retailers.

Incidentally, I find it very hard to believe that the average Gucci bag would only cost $100 to have made in Italy; as we have fine suede jewellery cases, hand made in France, for our company, by the same artisans that make them for all the biggest French designer names (and I mean all!) - so I know what highest quality leather goods cost to produce (and that they are, genuinely, very high quality [we don't have Kool-Aid in the UK!]).

Even allowing for the fact that production in Italy costs slightly less and that the quality may not be quite as high, it still seems a little low to me...

You are right about one thing - that there are discounts offered on large orders.

As others have mentioned, most designers advertise heavily and have to run extremely expensive premises, in the most expensive cities in the world. This, obviously, pushes up their costs, considerably.

I would guess that the mark up, through Gucci's own stores, is nearer 500 - 600%; very high, but not 900% high.

But I don't know for sure, as I haven't read their reports! ;)

Speaking of high mark-ups, I recently heard about shoes being sold for £35 in the UK, that only cost £2 to produce in China; that's a 1,750% mark-up! :shocked:

Finally, as someone has already mentioned; quality does not necessarily equal durability.

If you just want durabilty - may I suggest you buy workwear, or sportswear?

I read an article in the October 2006 Vogue about designer coats having buttons popping off which I thought was very funny.

Yes, the markup is huge. I come from Sri Lanka and if any of you own VS bras, how many of them say 'Made in Sri Lanka' in the back? VS 'Body by Victoria' bras which are overstocks or closeouts are sold for as little as $1.00 back home. Ever bought a VS bra for a dollar on sale? I NEVER buy my underwear in the US!!

I buy alot of designer bags. The only bags that I feel are truly MADE to last the test of time are LV monogram/epi/damier. Most of those bags I see 20 years later and they still look new. I have vintage Fendi,Gucci,Chanel and they show their age. I dont buy expecting items to last forever. Your comment about the markup. Everything is marked up. If you buy a $30 NineWest bag chances are that bag only cost $5 to make. Its all relative.

...Hmm...maybe I could bring in like 500 VS bras and sell them on ebay...but then customs might wonder why I need so much underwear!

If I bought 500 for $500 US...and sold them at $20 each....I would be getting $10,000. Subtract the original $500 and I would have a profit of $9500...HOLY COW!!

^^But you should agree, she posts her threads in a way to get the most results! Everybody gets annoyed and starts posting back and forth..I swear, a normal query wouldn't get this much attention!

Well, the markup is part of the rules of the game of economy! It applies to all fields as it's the profit/income because of the high risk of economy etc. Most of you are from Usa, I'm sure I don't have to explain about capitalism and market rules! You teached to us all we know! :smile:

Well, the markup is part of the rules of the game of economy! It applies to all fields as it's the profit/income because of the high risk of economy etc. Most of you are from Usa, I'm sure I don't have to explain about capitalism and market rules! You teached to us all we know! :smile:

i agree, like we don't know howthe market works?
no matter how many stats we look at, it will never make your designer opinion a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.