SMAS VS Deep Plane

What about short scar smasectomy? I heard that’s considered a mini-facelift which I am interested in. I was initially interested in skin-lift only lift after my botched zygoma reduction, but I heard it makes your scar bigger and doesn’t last as long. I’m too young to get a full facelift, but am interested in short scar smasectomy. Less scarring and less downtime, but ofc the results are not as good as full facelift. I just wonder about the side effects and nerve damage of the SMAS

Reactions: MissOrange
Thank you @EmmaDr for this article. This explains why I have found that many ladies who have had deep plane facelifts and ladies who have had Taylor liberator subcision for acne, end up with deep prominent nasolabial folds that ages them by decades. I am supporting ladies in their 20s to 40s who have been harmed by the TL subcision and ended up with sagging faces and deep nasolabial folds requiring a facelift. Of those who have had facelifts they have been told the facial retaining ligaments were disrupted during subcision.

It confirms my suspicion when the authors state that 'prominent nasolabial folds has been noted as a postop outcome of facelift surgery' from rupture of the facial retaining ligaments. Do NOT get a deep plane FL or TL subcision. The facial retaining ligaments are the scaffold that holds up the face
What about short scar smasectomy? I heard that’s considered a mini-facelift which I am interested in. I was initially interested in skin-lift only lift after my botched zygoma reduction, but I heard it makes your scar bigger and doesn’t last as long. I’m too young to get a full facelift, but am interested in short scar smasectomy. Less scarring and less downtime, but ofc the results are not as good as full facelift. I just wonder about the side effects and nerve damage of the SMAS
Hi @rosie8800, yes this is a sensible option. There is no chance of nerve damage as the smas is not near the facial nerve.

Hi @EmmaDr it is the other way around. Smas FLs do NOT cut the facial retaining ligaments. Deep plane FLs CUT the facial retaining ligaments. Once deswelled the DP FL may sag with deep nasolabial folds as the facial retaining ligaments may be damaged.

My theory is that plastic surgeons may upsell the deep plane FL and charge double or triple that of smas as they sell it as longer lasting. They may then post afters with filters, photoshop editing, lighting, not let the public know these ladies went back to dermal fillers when they show a 1 year result, post early results before the deswelling, etc. But the creator of the deep plane Hamza then switched back to smas FLs.

I have seen countless dreadful facial sagging with deep nasolabials in actual patient videos (so not able to photoshop or edit) months after deep plane (I'll DM you). The surgeons may then use excuses like FLs do not address nasolabial lines or that aging continues so you need to use dermal fillers. Revision DP costs become astronomical and most surgeons may refuse to revise their DP FLs for free or at all. Not to mention it may be impossible to find a surgeon who will touch a revision DP case done by someone else as the scar tissue may be too close to the branches of the facial nerve and if the facial nerve is cut, it becomes a multimillion dollar lawsuit.

Smas FLs are better looking, cheaper, safer and nowhere near the facial nerve. I would NEVER get a DP.
@MissOrange , could you DM me also please?

@EmmaDr is right. I have a US medical degree and am a fellow of the royal college of surgeons in both general surgery and ENT surgery. I was a surgeon in NYC and in London. I have also spent 2 years researching the different types of facelifts and their outcomes. May I ask you for your medical credentials? Or are you a clnic shill trying to sell deep plane facelifts?
No, I am not a doctor. What is wrong with asking for your credentials? And should we just take your word for it? I need some type of proof.

Reactions: astrodark
Realself plastic surgeons are confirming they do NOT reattach the facial retaining ligaments and leave them cut for scar tissue to form. This is not ideal in my opinion as scar tissue does not have the same hold as ligaments.8B45F7BF-A6C3-4791-B3C2-4B5AF334490A.jpeg

I love this John Q Cook MD! Here is his short video on facelifts. He addresses everything I did…look at pictures when younger, replace volume loss and not rely solely on a facelift, etc. And he is an advocate of surgery under local and smas lifts. He also has a very calming tone of voice. I could listen to him forever. Shame his videos are only a couple of minutes long.

I love this John Q Cook MD! Here is his short video on facelifts. He addresses everything I did…look at pictures when younger, replace volume loss and not rely solely on a facelift, etc. And he is an advocate of surgery under local and smas lifts. He also has a very calming tone of voice. I could listen to him forever. Shame his videos are only a couple of minutes long.

I love that he asks his patients to bring in photos of them when they were younger. Every patient will age differently. I wish more surgeons would do that. I submit my younger self along with now photos to surgeons in Korea but I don’t think many of them care enough to assess how your face actually ages…most clinics are more about turning as many patients as possible because it’s such a competitive industry in SK.

IMG_1256.jpeg

Here are all the types of facelift you can choose from, it doesn’t always have to be deep plane. I seen surgical videos of deep plane facelifts and they look scary and painful. I don’t think anyone should go through with it unless all the other types of facelift don’t work for you.

I know doctors say facelifts last 10-15 years, but in my opinion, I think most of them last 5-7 years, even the good ones, but obviously it also depends on your age and environmental factors

Reactions: nuface and EmmaDr
Ive been researching FL clinics and have narrowed it down to vlif and ARC. However Vlif only perform deep plane or dual plane FLs whereas ARC perform a SMAS however an extended SMAS which is a variant of the deep plane method. After seeing this I am basically sold on not going deep plane. Can anyone who has had SMAS FLs recommend clinics for research? Also surgeons that will specifically trim the SMAS (SMASectomy). I should also mention I am in need of a necklift also.

Last edited:
Ive been researching FL clinics and have narrowed it down to vlif and ARC. However Vlif only perform deep plane or dual plane FLs whereas ARC perform a SMAS however an extended SMAS which is a variant of the deep plane method. After seeing this I am basically sold on not going deep plane. Can anyone who has had SMAS FLs recommend clinics for research? Also surgeons that will specifically trim the SMAS (SMASectomy). I should also mention I am in need of a necklift also.
I’m still doing my research, so far I’ve not found any clinics that I’m leaning towards. It’s been quite disappointing but perhaps my expectations are also too high.

I was planning to get a SMAS lift at Braun but looking at their website they talk about ‘cutting’ and ‘releasing’ the retaining ligaments. Is this not a proper SMAS lift? It looks like it’s actually a bit difficult to find clinics that do actual SMAS lift.

I’m still doing my research, so far I’ve not found any clinics that I’m leaning towards. It’s been quite disappointing but perhaps my expectations are also too high.
Have you consulted with AgingL? I am leaning towards this clinic but not sure if there's anything I should be aware of....

I was planning to get a SMAS lift at Braun but looking at their website they talk about ‘cutting’ and ‘releasing’ the retaining ligaments. Is this not a proper SMAS lift? It looks like it’s actually a bit difficult to find clinics that do actual SMAS lift.
Errhhh, there's an active thread right now from a girl who's been suffering from unbelievable pain from her FL at Braun.