SMAS VS Deep Plane

EmmaDr

Dec 30, 2011
From what I understand SMAS involves cutting the retaining ligaments which from my research doesn’t grow back. Without retaining ligaments, wouldn’t we also lose structural support soon after surgery? Does Deep Plane keep the retaining ligaments intact? I realize there are pros and cons to keeping the retaining ligaments intact. The pros would be there would be more support of the facial and muscular structure but it also limits how much stretching and pulling the surgeons can perform. @MissOrange hoping you might be able to shed some light on this post. Thank you! 🥰

Hi @EmmaDr it is the other way around. Smas FLs do NOT cut the facial retaining ligaments. Deep plane FLs CUT the facial retaining ligaments. Once deswelled the DP FL may sag with deep nasolabial folds as the facial retaining ligaments may be damaged.

My theory is that plastic surgeons may upsell the deep plane FL and charge double or triple that of smas as they sell it as longer lasting. They may then post afters with filters, photoshop editing, lighting, not let the public know these ladies went back to dermal fillers when they show a 1 year result, post early results before the deswelling, etc. But the creator of the deep plane Hamza then switched back to smas FLs.

I have seen countless dreadful facial sagging with deep nasolabials in actual patient videos (so not able to photoshop or edit) months after deep plane (I'll DM you). The surgeons may then use excuses like FLs do not address nasolabial lines or that aging continues so you need to use dermal fillers. Revision DP costs become astronomical and most surgeons may refuse to revise their DP FLs for free or at all. Not to mention it may be impossible to find a surgeon who will touch a revision DP case done by someone else as the scar tissue may be too close to the branches of the facial nerve and if the facial nerve is cut, it becomes a multimillion dollar lawsuit.

Smas FLs are better looking, cheaper, safer and nowhere near the facial nerve. I would NEVER get a DP.

Last edited:
Reactions: cw1226 and Lien
Hi @EmmaDr it is the other way around. Smas FLs do NOT cut the facial retaining ligaments. Deep plane FLs CUT the facial retaining ligaments. Once deswelled the DP FL may sag with deep nasolabial folds as the facial retaining ligaments may be damaged.

My theory is that plastic surgeons may upsell the deep plane FL and charge double or triple that of smas as they sell it as longer lasting. They may then post afters with filters, photoshop editing, lighting, not let the public know these ladies went back to dermal fillers when they show a 1 year result, post early results before the deswelling, etc. But the creator of the deep plane Hamza then switched back to smas FLs.

I have seen countless dreadful facial sagging with deep nasolabials in actual patient videos (so not able to photoshop or edit) months after deep plane (I'll DM you). The surgeons may then use excuses like FLs do not address nasolabial lines or that aging continues so you need to use dermal fillers. Revision DP costs become astronomical and most surgeons may refuse to revise their DP FLs for free or at all. Not to mention it may be impossible to find a surgeon who will touch a revision DP case done by someone else as the scar tissue may be too close to the branches of the facial nerve and if the facial nerve is cut, it becomes a multimillion dollar lawsuit.

Smas FLs are better looking, cheaper, safer and nowhere near the facial nerve. I would NEVER get a DP.
That’s good to know. I’ve been researching the difference between DP and SMAS and noticed some websites mentioning SMAS does cut retaining ligaments. So much mis-information out there.

That’s good to know. I’ve been researching the difference between DP and SMAS and noticed some websites mentioning SMAS does cut retaining ligaments. So much mis-information out there.
I heard from surgeons that it's better to cut retaining ligaments to prevent unevenness and SMAS includes cutting ligaments.

I heard from surgeons that it's better to cut retaining ligaments to prevent unevenness and SMAS includes cutting ligaments.
See this is why it’s so confusing I even had one clinic tell me they offer SMAS and will cut retaining ligaments. It was actually Vlif who explained that the surgeon “will cut retaining ligaments and that they will grow back”.

• Wow
Reactions: SDUSATravel and pie
See this is why it’s so confusing I even had one clinic tell me they offer SMAS and will cut retaining ligaments. It was actually Vlif who explained that the surgeon “will cut retaining ligaments and that they will grow back”.
The retaining ligaments is between the SMAS and Deep Plane layer so they can technically still cut it with either procedure. The retaining ligaments will grow back.

Omg! Ligaments don't grow back. Once cut it forms scar tissue. The facial retaining ligaments (4) are cut to access the deep plane (5) not the superficial smas plane (3).Screenshot_20240108-170132_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Omg! Ligaments don't grow back. Once cut it forms scar tissue. The facial retaining ligaments (4) are cut to access the deep plane (5) not the superficial smas plane (3).View attachment 5926323
Sorry, but why should we listen to you if many facelift doctors confirm that the ligaments grow back? Do you have a medical degree or are a facial surgeon? Or maybe you can show us research articles that confirm that ligaments don't grow back?

Sorry, but why should we listen to you if many facelift doctors confirm that the ligaments grow back? Do you have a medical degree or are a facial surgeon? Or maybe you can show us research articles that confirm that ligaments don't grow back?
@EmmaDr is right. I have a US medical degree and am a fellow of the royal college of surgeons in both general surgery and ENT surgery. I was a surgeon in NYC and in London. I have also spent 2 years researching the different types of facelifts and their outcomes. May I ask you for your medical credentials? Or are you a clnic shill trying to sell deep plane facelifts?

Reactions: cw1226 and nuface
Thank you @EmmaDr for this article. This explains why I have found that many ladies who have had deep plane facelifts and ladies who have had Taylor liberator subcision for acne, end up with deep prominent nasolabial folds that ages them by decades. I am supporting ladies in their 20s to 40s who have been harmed by the TL subcision and ended up with sagging faces and deep nasolabial folds requiring a facelift. They are suing the doctor. Of those who have had facelifts they have been told the facial retaining ligaments were damaged during subcision.

It confirms my suspicion when the authors state that 'prominent nasolabial folds has been noted as a postop outcome of facelift surgery' from rupture of the facial retaining ligaments. Do NOT get a deep plane FL or TL subcision. The facial retaining ligaments are the scaffold that holds up the face!