Resellers getting Chanel items first and selling for premium

I wouldn't be surprised. Repeat colors are coming back out. And now with the new restrictions in place most people are finding the bag they wanted probably the first week of a new launch. I know one ps on IG still have a couple of those heart bags that haven’t sold.

I’d like to chime in on this conversation because I had an interesting experience. I, too, was always seeing new items from Chanel listed on Fashionphile for well above retail. In particular, I noticed that they were selling a beautiful WOC that I had just purchased from the Chanel boutique on their website. I bought the item for $3,525 USD + tax totaling somewhere around $3,700. Fashionphile had the same item listed at like, $5,500 (plus tax) in the same brand new condition as mine. I thought to myself, is FP paying sellers well above what the sellers paid for the item and is that why people are selling their brand new items to them? So I did a little experiment, with no real intention of selling my brand new WOC because I loved it, I submitted photos of it to Fashionphile to see what their offer to me would be. They offered me $3,300. Below retail plus well below what it cost me with taxes even though they were selling that exact same item for thousands more. Moral of the story I guess is that they clearly have personal shoppers and it’s not independent buyers who are arbitrarily buying items and selling it to Fashionphile in hopes of making a profit. By the way, it was this pink beauty here with the gold hardware and candy chain.
You were able to buy a WOC online?

I’d like to chime in on this conversation because I had an interesting experience. I, too, was always seeing new items from Chanel listed on Fashionphile for well above retail. In particular, I noticed that they were selling a beautiful WOC that I had just purchased from the Chanel boutique on their website. I bought the item for $3,525 USD + tax totaling somewhere around $3,700. Fashionphile had the same item listed at like, $5,500 (plus tax) in the same brand new condition as mine. I thought to myself, is FP paying sellers well above what the sellers paid for the item and is that why people are selling their brand new items to them? So I did a little experiment, with no real intention of selling my brand new WOC because I loved it, I submitted photos of it to Fashionphile to see what their offer to me would be. They offered me $3,300. Below retail plus well below what it cost me with taxes even though they were selling that exact same item for thousands more. Moral of the story I guess is that they clearly have personal shoppers and it’s not independent buyers who are arbitrarily buying items and selling it to Fashionphile in hopes of making a profit. By the way, it was this pink beauty here with the gold hardware and candy chain.
I appreciate your extra work in discovering this!

I never bought from Fashionphile again after they folded in half (and creased) the large tote I bought in order to get it in the shipping box.

I didn't complain because I liked the bag and it was too much trouble to return from Canada, but I never even looked at their site again.

Seems like they are in boutique when posting stories. Good point though
Some resellers are posting pictures straight from boutiques on their Instagram stories. How is Chanel allowing this? Is it ok just because these resellers are vips?

As per my SA who follows the rules by Chanel:
- not allowed to send photos of items for an X number of days following the release of the item. If I want to see it, I have to go in person. She also cannot hold the item.
- if it hasn’t been sold within X number of days, she is then allowed to send me photos.

Now despite this, she admits there are SAs here (and probably everywhere) that unfortunately do send photos. The same SAs also somehow manage to “hold new items” for clients they know are resellers. It sounds like there is a bit of a divide within Chanel - those SAs who know not to purposely sell to resellers and those who have a solid relationship with resellers and frankly DGAF.

- not allowed to send photos of items for an X number of days following the release of the item. If I want to see it, I have to go in person. She also cannot hold the item.
- if it hasn’t been sold within X number of days, she is then allowed to send me photos.

Now despite this, she admits there are SAs here (and probably everywhere) that unfortunately do send photos. The same SAs also somehow manage to “hold new items” for clients they know are resellers. It sounds like there is a bit of a divide within Chanel - those SAs who know not to purposely sell to resellers and those who have a solid relationship with resellers and frankly DGAF.
The problem with resellers is that if you purchase through them, chanel will not cover the item should there be an issue later

My SA also hardly sends any pictures. I did not know there were rules.

And these resellers are also invited to all VVIP events and get first dibs on not only the hottest items but also Chanel sale items.

My SA also hardly sends any pictures. I did not know there were rules.

And these resellers are also invited to all VVIP events and get first dibs on not only the hottest items but also Chanel sale items.
Are you in the USA? There is someone who works at Chanel within Neiman Marcus - she sends regular emails of inventory, if you are interested in getting photos.

I think email lists are a loophole :smile:

• Thanks
Reactions: peke<3cc and luxsal