Resellers getting Chanel items first and selling for premium

The white one is listed for 10k. I wonder what is the mistake? A 1 instead of a 7? :lol: :lol:
I’m sorry but all you’d need to do is spend 50k on rtw and fine jewelry at once and I’m sure that sa would fine you a heart bag to buy at retail lol in a heart beat! Save yourself almost 20k lol smh

One of FPs latest emails touted themselves as the place to go to for htf items…

I noticed the IG account @luxurytholic haven't posted anything in an unusually long time. Wondering what happened to that account?
Unfortunately, she went rogue and started scamming numerous of people out of their hard earned money. Including someone i know. She has her deposit and has yet to reply to any of her messages on IG & Whatsapp. Nor has she attempted to send her the bag that was promised OR a refund. Bad karma will come and get her soon enough if she doesn't fix any of this.

Unfortunately, she went rogue and started scamming numerous of people out of their hard earned money. Including someone i know. She has her deposit and has yet to reply to any of her messages on IG & Whatsapp. Nor has she attempted to send her the bag that was promised OR a refund. Bad karma will come and get her soon enough if she doesn't fix any of this.

Omg :amazed: that is so horrible and despicable of @luxurytholic

Reactions: fashionelite
I’d like to chime in on this conversation because I had an interesting experience. I, too, was always seeing new items from Chanel listed on Fashionphile for well above retail. In particular, I noticed that they were selling a beautiful WOC that I had just purchased from the Chanel boutique on their website. I bought the item for $3,525 USD + tax totaling somewhere around $3,700. Fashionphile had the same item listed at like, $5,500 (plus tax) in the same brand new condition as mine. I thought to myself, is FP paying sellers well above what the sellers paid for the item and is that why people are selling their brand new items to them? So I did a little experiment, with no real intention of selling my brand new WOC because I loved it, I submitted photos of it to Fashionphile to see what their offer to me would be. They offered me $3,300. Below retail plus well below what it cost me with taxes even though they were selling that exact same item for thousands more. Moral of the story I guess is that they clearly have personal shoppers and it’s not independent buyers who are arbitrarily buying items and selling it to Fashionphile in hopes of making a profit. By the way, it was this pink beauty here with the gold hardware and candy chain.

Attachments

• 75F27510-FF1D-42D0-B3AC-02C1FE83D7D8.jpeg
    75F27510-FF1D-42D0-B3AC-02C1FE83D7D8.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 103
I’d like to chime in on this conversation because I had an interesting experience. I, too, was always seeing new items from Chanel listed on Fashionphile for well above retail. In particular, I noticed that they were selling a beautiful WOC that I had just purchased from the Chanel boutique on their website. I bought the item for $3,525 USD + tax totaling somewhere around $3,700. Fashionphile had the same item listed at like, $5,500 (plus tax) in the same brand new condition as mine. I thought to myself, is FP paying sellers well above what the sellers paid for the item and is that why people are selling their brand new items to them? So I did a little experiment, with no real intention of selling my brand new WOC because I loved it, I submitted photos of it to Fashionphile to see what their offer to me would be. They offered me $3,300. Below retail plus well below what it cost me with taxes even though they were selling that exact same item for thousands more. Moral of the story I guess is that they clearly have personal shoppers and it’s not independent buyers who are arbitrarily buying items and selling it to Fashionphile in hopes of making a profit. By the way, it was this pink beauty here with the gold hardware and candy chain.
I’ve always thought they had personal shoppers since they are directly connected to NM. The only way FP is paying over retail is if you are selling a high demand item or if you have a popular excellent condition bag (think mini) from a few years ago that you paid less for because the retail much less. FP is in it to make money, not for high payouts. I can only imagine how much crazier they will get with pricing with their new NY location coming :facepalm:

This is EXACTLY what we predicted would happen with all these new rules. This is going to empower the resellers more than ever. People will be running towards the resellers even more because they will have no choice if they want to buy a bag. The resellers will still be able to get them. Which will secure the price gouging that resellers have come to consider normal for Chanel pricing. :annoyed: :frown:92C46EF1-C428-4D2D-ABBC-3C6ACC14C06D.png

Can someone help me understand how the new quota policy (and other policy changes) is going to help resellers? I see these comments come up on multiple threads and I’m honestly trying to understand this perspective :smile:

Based on what I’ve read in this forum regarding: the quota, no reserve lists going forward, systems being linked, and VIC only boutiques….it seems like it would be harder for everyone to get bags. Which includes resellers.

I’m not disagreeing that resellers will find a way to get bags regardless, but it seems to me that these policies would actually HAMPER resellers and make it so much harder for them to procure bags (as a network and individually).…am I missing something?

From my understanding:
  • Resellers are also subjected to the 2 classic bag policy
  • Resellers will have to branch out their network in the US to find more people to buy classics since each of their friends and family members can only buy two per year
  • Resellers and their network buyers are also subjected to the same no-reserves policy going forward that we are (especially if they have new buyers in their network and are not VIC) …and will also have to physically show up in stores to buy bags. They will most likely be in line at the same stores in rotation and the SAs will quickly start to get to know which customer are suspected resellers. It will be obvious if the same person keeps showing up with random people to buy bags (on profiles that are not their own)with their existing SA. Hopefully the SAs will be trained to sniff out weird behavior since interactions will now be in person
  • Even if there are resellers who are VIC and may be granted one-off exceptions, their purchases are going to be more closely monitored given that there is a much smaller population of those customers that would be granted exceptions. I imagine the store director would have to grant them individually
  • VIC only boutiques (if true) means that the store employees will get to know those clients really well. Which means if there is suspected reseller activity happening at that client tier, I would imagine that Chanel would be able to narrow down the boutiques from which reseller shops.
  • The metal plates in bags all have random lettering/numbers and given that this system is so new….I’m sure the house is able to narrow down which boutiques these second hand bags come from. I mean….we typically see the first few letters or the last few letters on a the metal plate on the second hand sites. I’m sure it’s not hard for the stores to figure out which’s serial numbers thus far have similar digits and thereby narrow down client profiles
  • All the US boutiques and department stores are connected now. Which means it’s harder to bypass these quota rules since profiles are linked. Resellers are hampered in that sense….unless they create secondary profiles. Which I would imagine Chanel is going to start finding ways to identify duplicated profiles

I can understand that the demand and temptation for customers to use resellers might go up if a customer has met quota. But if anything, it would seem that the supply of stock for resellers will be harder to maintain. So prices might go up on the reseller market because of supply issues, but I don’t think it’ll be easy for resellers to meet that demand. Which means that many customers will have to think twice about buying from resellers since the prices will be OUTRAGEOUSLY marked up. I think we reached a price threshold on classics that it’s a very specific segment of customers that would buy these marked up bags. And those customers better hope they aren’t going to need to resell for a profit because it will be so much harder to recoup the cost incurred when paying over retail. Because….the segment of customers that would be willing to pay a mark up over premium prices that another buyer paid is even smaller! Basically reselling as an activity/hobby will only be possible for people with deep pockets because it will be hard to find another buyer after the first re-sale transaction:biggrin: As an example- the 18S emerald green bags have a harder time selling now because nobody wants to pay $14k for a mini rectangular that has been marked up several times because of multiple re-sale transactions.

and if you’re a buyer who typically reserves bags in advance and then sells to resellers/FASHIONPHILE to avoid returning to your SA….well the new quota policies will force those customers to rethink their buying behavior in order to avoid wasting a quota slot on a bag that they may not love.

so what I’m trying to say is….I think Chanel thought this through. It’s like they have cast a wide net out with these new policies and are slowly cinching them around resellers. But I could be mistaken. Thanks for reading my long post:biggrin::heart:

Last edited:
Can someone help me understand how the new quota policy (and other policy changes) is going to help resellers? I see these comments come up on multiple threads and I’m honestly trying to understand this perspective :smile:

Based on what I’ve read in this forum regarding: the quota, no reserve lists going forward, systems being linked, and VIC only boutiques….it seems like it would be harder for everyone to get bags. Which includes resellers.

I’m not disagreeing that resellers will find a way to get bags regardless, but it seems to me that these policies would actually HAMPER resellers and make it so much harder for them to procure bags (as a network and individually).…am I missing something?

From my understanding:
  • Resellers are also subjected to the 2 classic bag policy
  • Resellers will have to branch out their network in the US to find more people to buy classics since each of their friends and family members can only buy two per year
  • Resellers and their network buyers are also subjected to the same no-reserves policy going forward that we are (especially if they have new buyers in their network and are not VIC) …and will also have to physically show up in stores to buy bags. They will most likely be in line at the same stores in rotation and the SAs will quickly start to get to know which customer are suspected resellers. It will be obvious if the same person keeps showing up with random people to buy bags (on profiles that are not their own)with their existing SA. Hopefully the SAs will be trained to sniff out weird behavior since interactions will now be in person
  • Even if there are resellers who are VIC and may be granted one-off exceptions, their purchases are going to be more closely monitored given that there is a much smaller population of those customers that would be granted exceptions. I imagine the store director would have to grant them individually
  • VIC only boutiques (if true) means that the store employees will get to know those clients really well. Which means if there is suspected reseller activity happening at that client tier, I would imagine that Chanel would be able to narrow down the boutiques from which reseller shops.
  • The metal plates in bags all have random lettering/numbers and given that this system is so new….I’m sure the house is able to narrow down which boutiques these second hand bags come from. I mean….we typically see the first few letters or the last few letters on a the metal plate on the second hand sites. I’m sure it’s not hard for the stores to figure out which’s serial numbers thus far have similar digits and thereby narrow down client profiles
  • All the US boutiques and department stores are connected now. Which means it’s harder to bypass these quota rules since profiles are linked. Resellers are hampered in that sense….unless they create secondary profiles. Which I would imagine Chanel is going to start finding ways to identify duplicated profiles

I can understand that the demand and temptation for customers to use resellers might go up if a customer has met quota. But if anything, it would seem that the supply of stock for resellers will be harder to maintain. So prices might go up on the reseller market because of supply issues, but I don’t think it’ll be easy for resellers to meet that demand. Which means that many customers will have to think twice about buying from resellers since the prices will be OUTRAGEOUSLY marked up. I think we reached a price threshold on classics that it’s a very specific segment of customers that would buy these marked up bags. And those customers better hope they aren’t going to need to resell for a profit because it will be so much harder to recoup the cost incurred when paying over retail. Because….the segment of customers that would be willing to pay a mark up over premium prices that another buyer paid is even smaller! Basically reselling as an activity/hobby will only be possible for people with deep pockets because it will be hard to find another buyer after the first re-sale transaction:biggrin: As an example- the 18S emerald green bags have a harder time selling now because nobody wants to pay $14k for a mini rectangular that has been marked up several times because of multiple re-sale transactions.

and if you’re a buyer who typically reserves bags in advance and then sells to resellers/FASHIONPHILE to avoid returning to your SA….well the new quota policies will force those customers to rethink their buying behavior in order to avoid wasting a quota slot on a bag that they may not love.

so what I’m trying to say is….I think Chanel thought this through. It’s like they have cast a wide net out with these new policies and are slowly cinching them around resellers. But I could be mistaken. Thanks for reading my long post:biggrin::heart:
Thank you so much for this! I think this is a really great and insightful perspective and truly makes me feel better about the whole thing. I had been thinking that resellers were most likely VIP status already based on the volume of products that they bought for their business and clients in the past so they would still be able to easily acquire the products, but your sub points challenge that and I’m grateful for the perspective! I was feeling very resentful and frustrated but I think you bring up very valid points that I had not considered. Thank you for taking the time to write this out! :heart:

Thank you so much for this! I think this is a really great and insightful perspective and truly makes me feel better about the whole thing. I had been thinking that resellers were most likely VIP status already based on the volume of products that they bought for their business and clients in the past so they would still be able to easily acquire the products, but your sub points challenge that and I’m grateful for the perspective! I was feeling very resentful and frustrated but I think you bring up very valid points that I had not considered. Thank you for taking the time to write this out! :heart:
Thank you for your kind words! I was noodling on this for awhile, so these words came out in a rush last night :nuts:I think your concerns are valid as well and I relate to your frustration. Last year when the 21P caramel came out, my level of frustration was at an all-time high with resellers, which is why I completely resonate with all the frustration from everyone in this forum. It’s maddening :doh: I definitely am not a fan of some of these policies, like the quota and lack of reserves going forward, but I’m also glad that this might (hopefully) slow the number of resellers that nab all the good bags before we get a chance to. Fingers crossed!

• Love
Reactions: robbiesgirl
I don’t think resellers can be stopped. Maybe they can slow it down for now with the new quota but I don’t think it will work. Even with limits they will still be able to get more bags than the typical client and profit will probably just be more on the bags they are able to get since most people wouldn’t be able to buy it directly from boutique. The “limits” will soon change to “offers”. Just Bc you can buy 2 classics a year doesn’t mean you will be offered it as the rules keep changing. Personally I think as time goes on the only ones that will get their 2 bags a year are the ones with established SA relationship and a nice spend history or the vic/vip clients. Sure we will still hear about the customers that just walked in and got a classic but we also hear those stories in the Hermes forum about being offered a quota. Basically whatever Hermes is doing that’s the same direction chanel is going lol

I don’t think resellers can be stopped. Maybe they can slow it down for now with the new quota but I don’t think it will work. Even with limits they will still be able to get more bags than the typical client and profit will probably just be more on the bags they are able to get since most people wouldn’t be able to buy it directly from boutique. The “limits” will soon change to “offers”. Just Bc you can buy 2 classics a year doesn’t mean you will be offered it as the rules keep changing. Personally I think as time goes on the only ones that will get their 2 bags a year are the ones with established SA relationship and a nice spend history or the vic/vip clients. Sure we will still hear about the customers that just walked in and got a classic but we also hear those stories in the Hermes forum about being offered a quota. Basically whatever Hermes is doing that’s the same direction chanel is going lol
Unlike Hermès, Chanel already has people snapping up RTW, jewelry, shoes, SLGs and seasonal bags. Chanel doesn’t have a business model based mostly on pre-spend. They don’t have to go in that direction.

But I do agree established relationships and spend history will cause some heartburn for new clients.

Hey Girls,

I purchased this purse like 4 years ago in London.

Can anyone give me the reference for this purse (see pic). Any idea of the value ?

Thanks

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-06-06 at 9.37.47 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-06 at 9.37.47 PM.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 113
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-06-06 at 9.29.37 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-06 at 9.29.37 PM.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 111