LV +Vat question...

Hi!

May I suggest you search within this thread: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/tips-advice-for-customs-vat-etc.293065/

There is a wealth of knowledge and first hand experience inside. Including but not limited to links to official information.

That said: Please take Brexit into account. Right now no one knows what will be in March 2020 in terms of customs union, trade deal(s) ...

First indicator will be the December 12th, general election in the UK.

Kind regards,
Oliver

I will be in London in March and want to purchase a neverfull mm. It’s 965 pounds. I am confused about the VAT refund though. Am I going to get a certain percentage of the 965 back or...?

My bf bought me a purse in Amsterdam at LV a few years ago but I didn’t really pay attention. Do you pay US tax on top of the 965 pounds and then get your refund? Really I want to know how much I’m gonna end up saving.
yes , a certain percentage, you can do it right at the airport

i believe the price is inclusive the VAT as stated on LV uk site ( which is 20% this year) and you can get the refund from the airport, or at the store but u need show them your id or passport.

Reactions: img
You can purchase the item duty free at Heathrow, in which case you will show your international boarding pass at the time of purchase and you will pay for the item less VAT (usually you’ll see a price without VAT, and a price with VAT on the tag at the airport, so you'll pay less than what is shown on the UK website prices. The sales associates will know exactly what to do when you’re there.) You’ll want to be sure the airport shop has what you want first because those stores don’t have everything like the stores in the city. This is the only reason to not to just buy it at Heathrow— if they don’t have it and you have no choice. You can try to contact the store there to check if they have it before your trip is over.

If you buy in London, you’ll be required to show your passport for the purchase at the store, and you’ll pay the full price for the item including VAT. The store will give you paperwork which you’ll take to the airport for the refund, less processing fees (nets to around 12% back I believe). In this scenario you must bring the item un-used to the airport and be prepared to take it out in case you are asked to have it inspected by customs. You’ll get the refund paperwork certified and drop your envelope off for processing into a box, there are locations to do this both prior to check in and after security at Heathrow. It‘s pretty easy, but there is sometimes a short line to get the ppwk certified. Either way, do not put the item in your checked bag as you may be asked to have it inspected again when you land in the US too. Best to put in in a carry on or personal item if you can (you could bring home in just the store bag, but I feel like that gets you searched more often, just a nuisance but not a huge deal.) The net refund (after processing fees) is reimbursed automatically to your card in a few weeks (if you choose that method of refund.) You can avoid this processing fee stuff by buying duty free at the airport and get the full ~20% VAT off, if the item is available there.

When you return to the US, you should declare the value of any items purchase. You are exempt from US taxes on the first $800 per person traveling in your group. If your bf or any one other human is traveling with you, you could claim up to $1600, etc. Any amount above the $800 per person exemption is taxed, but it depends on your location. In LA it is 9% for example, probably the worst you could do in the US. You’ll be responsible for indicating the USD value of items on your claim form when you land. It doesn’t have to be that exact in my experience but do be honest. Once I brought back a $1200 something and the customs officer looked at it and just told me to just to write $800 instead and waived me through. I did not pay any US tax in that instance. If you do end up owing taxes at home, you’ll receive a bill in the mail I think. Again, not a big deal. If you don’t declare the item and they find out, you can forfeit the item and lose your global entry if you have it.

Depending on global pricing and FX rates, it sometimes (usually? Maybe even always?) still makes sense to buy in Europe even if you don’t want to bother with the VAT refund for some reason, depending on sales tax where you live of course. I always keep an eye on the exchange rates too. If for example you can pop by Spain or France real quickly on your trip, the exchange rate of USD to EUR is super right now, to GBP not as great but could be worse and you’ll still come our comfortably ahead vs buying domestically (although I hear Hawaii is cheaper. :P)

Last edited:
If you buy in Heathrow airport, you get about 17% off UK prices online and you don't have to do any paperwork or wait for refund on your credit card. The downside is selection is obviously limited. You can contact sa ahead of time to make sure they have the item you want. If you buy in London, then you will have to do paperwork including waiting in line for Global Blue refund. You will get about 12% back of the UK price online. Depending on FX and where you live in US, you are looking to save about 30% unless you live in Portland where there is no sales tax. In that case, your saving will be less. British Pound is on a wild swing at the moment. With today's election win for Johnson, pound has been going up and up. So depending what happens with Brexit, buying in London may not be so good.

If you can swing by Paris, the savings will be approximately 35% off US prices (i.e. US price + state sales tax). If you buy at CDG, you will get an automatic deduction of 12% off French online prices without doing any paperwork or wait for refund back onto your credit card. Again, more selection in the city of Paris of course. If you buy in the city, you will have to do paperwork and go through Global Blue. The saving is about 12% so no difference between buying in airport or in Paris except with the paperwork and wait for refund to hit your credit card.

Each person gets $800 tax free so if you bring along three kids, then you get $3200 tax free when you enter US as US citizen.

Hawaii prices is 10% below US MSRP. Again depending which city you live in will determine how much you save (comparing to buy from your local store). HNL sales tax is about 4.5% so if you live in a high sales tax city like NYC which is 8.875%, then you will save 10% (off US MSRP) plus another 4.375% (sales tax difference).

Reactions: USCGirlie
You can purchase the item duty free at Heathrow, in which case you will show your international boarding pass at the time of purchase and you will pay for the item less VAT (usually you’ll see a price without VAT, and a price with VAT on the tag at the airport, so you'll pay less than what is shown on the UK website prices. The sales associates will know exactly what to do when you’re there.) You’ll want to be sure the airport shop has what you want first because those stores don’t have everything like the stores in the city. This is the only reason to not to just buy it at Heathrow— if they don’t have it and you have no choice. You can try to contact the store there to check if they have it before your trip is over.

If you buy in London, you’ll be required to show your passport for the purchase at the store, and you’ll pay the full price for the item including VAT. The store will give you paperwork which you’ll take to the airport for the refund, less processing fees (nets to around 12% back I believe). In this scenario you must bring the item un-used to the airport and be prepared to take it out in case you are asked to have it inspected by customs. You’ll get the refund paperwork certified and drop your envelope off for processing into a box, there are locations to do this both prior to check in and after security at Heathrow. It‘s pretty easy, but there is sometimes a short line to get the ppwk certified. Either way, do not put the item in your checked bag as you may be asked to have it inspected again when you land in the US too. Best to put in in a carry on or personal item if you can (you could bring home in just the store bag, but I feel like that gets you searched more often, just a nuisance but not a huge deal.) The net refund (after processing fees) is reimbursed automatically to your card in a few weeks (if you choose that method of refund.) You can avoid this processing fee stuff by buying duty free at the airport and get the full ~20% VAT off, if the item is available there.

When you return to the US, you should declare the value of any items purchase. You are exempt from US taxes on the first $800 per person traveling in your group. If your bf or any one other human is traveling with you, you could claim up to $1600, etc. Any amount above the $800 per person exemption is taxed, but it depends on your location. In LA it is 9% for example, probably the worst you could do in the US. You’ll be responsible for indicating the USD value of items on your claim form when you land. It doesn’t have to be that exact in my experience but do be honest. Once I brought back a $1200 something and the customs officer looked at it and just told me to just to write $800 instead and waived me through. I did not pay any US tax in that instance. If you do end up owing taxes at home, you’ll receive a bill in the mail I think. Again, not a big deal. If you don’t declare the item and they find out, you can forfeit the item and lose your global entry if you have it.

Depending on global pricing and FX rates, it sometimes (usually? Maybe even always?) still makes sense to buy in Europe even if you don’t want to bother with the VAT refund for some reason, depending on sales tax where you live of course. I always keep an eye on the exchange rates too. If for example you can pop by Spain or France real quickly on your trip, the exchange rate of USD to EUR is super right now, to GBP not as great but could be worse and you’ll still come our comfortably ahead vs buying domestically (although I hear Hawaii is cheaper. :P)
Duty is due at airport before you exit customs. They take credit cards. Had this occur in Sept.

Good to know. I guess I must have been waived through customs without having to pay in recent times. :hrmm::hrmm::hrmm: I didn't pay anything at the airport in November even though I declared stuff over the exemption amount.
Depends on mood of CBP. I’ve bought over exemption previously and got a Merry Christmas and waived through. However, I had Bought a Rolex and the box was in my carryon and MIA airport was not busy when I landed. I didn’t want to risk being searched, so I was honest.

I often buy LV bags from Japan and then just pay the custom fees upon arrival to the delivering courier ( DHL or Parcelforce)
However I bought a bag today and the transaction included tax on the top of the postage.
It also said no Tax will be payable upon arriving in the UK.
im a bit confused, does it mean no custom fees will need to be to paid?
Will I not get extra bill from the delivery provider?
how will the delivery courier know that I already paid?
(it’s not a Pitney Bowes transaction - by the way)

Last edited:
Oh wow. Were the extra charges equivalent to the custom charges? I am interested. I have shopped vintage Chanel but it worked out to be the same as market valu after the customs. Pls keep us posted.

Hi! We are debating flying into Barcelona, then driving from
Barcelona, along the south of France and up to Milan. If I buy LV in France or Barcelona, and we drive to Milan, can I get the VAT back in the Milan airport? Or somewhere before I leave France or Spain? Or is that not possible if I’m not flying out of the country I want the VAT back from?

depends on your exit point from the EU, if it will be Italy then you will need to go through customs / electronic machine check points or scans to complete validation there for your VAT forms which would have been issued by the merchants (such as LV)