LV +Vat question...

What I am about to say might be stupid, however let's give it a try. LV has the exact same prices in Europe with only the amount of VAT changing (apart from the UK, I'm clueless, they don't have €). France has 20% VAT, Germany 19%, Italy 22% and Greece 24%. So if you get back the whole VAT amount, the item would be cheaper for you in Greece and Italy and worst in Germany. However, there is also the special case of Luxembourg where the VAT is 17% however, the items in store are actually cheaper than in other countries due to other tax and administrative treaties (not sure if that changed in 2019, up to 2018 was like that).

Hi, I live in the USA and my company sends me to work in certain cities in Asia, Australia and Europe. Of THOSE cities Paris, London and Germany were the less expensive to purchase LV at. For me. Meaning if I go to a boutique in Paris the cost to me in USD is much less than if I go to the boutique in Tokyo. Items actually would cost more for me in Tokyo than the USA. So it would not make sense to buy on work trips to Tokyo. My company DOES send employees to Rome and Greece but regretably I'm not on that job. A few percent difference in VAT tax isn't too important to me. I would be thrilled to get any VAT tax back on an item that is already so much less than what I pay here in the USA. I mainly want easy at the airport because I don't get a lot of time at the airport (again because of my job).

I recently went to Europe for the first time in April 2019. I purchased my first LV in Paris at Galeries Lafayette department store (yay !) and the SA completed my tax form in store. I elected to get my refund back on my credit card because it would be a little more than if I got it back by cash. I flew out of Heathrow Airport in London on April 30, 2019. The line to get my customs stamp was super long and I didn’t think the agent did anything with my tax form, because he handed it back to me so quickly. He said the refund had already been processed and I should get it back in a month. A month passed and nothing happened....until 6/3/2019. I received a text message saying that my refund was approved. This morning 6/4/19, the refund was applied to my credit card statement. My tip for anyone doing this for the first time I getting to the airport at least 5 hours before your departure flight, just in case the line is super long because Heathrow airport is huge and it took forever to get through the line.
:amazed: Whoa. Thanks for the heads up. I am on company paid for transportation. I can't change the pickup time from my hotel. I get approximately an extra 20 minutes at the airport. That's why I need the quickest VAT refund airport process possible. thanks.

:amazed: Whoa. Thanks for the heads up. I am on company paid for transportation. I can't change the pickup time from my hotel. I get approximately an extra 20 minutes at the airport. That's why I need the quickest VAT refund airport process possible. thanks.

No problem! Maybe sometimes at Heathrow are better than others, but I don’t know. I got there about 10 am.

The lines at tax refund in LHR can be LOOOOONG. Here's a tip that I always do, when you get to the person checking paperwork (before you get into the actual line) tell them you want to pay the fee to cut the line. For 10 pounds per receipt or form you can cut to the front of the line. I only ever bother for high dollar purchases but it's saved me hours in the line over the years. Be prepared for some evil looks when they bring you to the front of the line, but they do have posters all over saying the option is available.

Reviving this thread a bit - every couple of years I take a group of students through Heathrow or Charles de Gaulle. Usually Heathrow is before our trip and then two weeks later we fly out of CDG. Can you submit VAT refund if you are leaving the country or does it have to be EU? And if that’s the case, now that there’s an LV @ CDG, would they do the VAT refund for you there? Just trying to see if I could make this work. We usually have a couple of hours and the students take turns watching our stuff. Definitely time to shop but not sure about getting the refund time. TIA!

Last edited:
Reviving this thread a bit - every couple of years I take a group of students through Heathrow or Charles de Gaulle. Usually Heathrow is before our trip and then two weeks later we fly out of CDG. Can you submit VAT refund if you are leaving the country or does it have to be EU? And if that’s the case, now that there’s an LV @ CDG, would they do the VAT refund for you there? Just trying to see if I could make this work. We usually have a couple of hours and the students take turns watching our stuff. Definitely time to shop but not sure about getting the refund time. TIA!
There is no paperwork if you buy the items at LV CDG. Prices already reflect the tax-free value.

You have to do the VAT before you leave from a EU country. Yes, there is a LV in CDG. I believe there the discount would already be in the price (excluding the VAT) provided you showed them your passport, but you may try to double check that information. Either way, the sales associate would handle all paperwork and tell what you need to know.

Reactions: MmeM124
You have to do the VAT before you leave from a EU country. Yes, there is a LV in CDG. I believe there the discount would already be in the price (excluding the VAT) provided you showed them your passport, but you may try to double check that information. Either way, the sales associate would handle all paperwork and tell what you need to know.
Thank you for this helpful information! May I ask how quickly the sales process goes? I'll be stopping in CDG for 2 hours in September and wondering if that will be enough time to pick up some items off my list. I obviously will have to prioritize making my flight! Thank you!

Thank you for this helpful information! May I ask how quickly the sales process goes? I'll be stopping in CDG for 2 hours in September and wondering if that will be enough time to pick up some items off my list. I obviously will have to prioritize making my flight! Thank you!

Honestly, it’s too hard to project the timing. It really depends on how many customers are in the store when you go. I’m not sure if they work on a first come, first serve basis, but I imagine they do. If you know exactly what items you want, the checkout process shouldn’t take long at all.

Honestly, it’s too hard to project the timing. It really depends on how many customers are in the store when you go. I’m not sure if they work on a first come, first serve basis, but I imagine they do. If you know exactly what items you want, the checkout process shouldn’t take long at all.
Thank you! I have a flight arriving at 7:30am so hopefully the staff won't be overwhelmed so early. And I definitely know exactly what i want. :biggrin: Croisette Azur, City Pouch and a leather multiple wallet for the bf!

I will be in London in March and want to purchase a neverfull mm. It’s 965 pounds. I am confused about the VAT refund though. Am I going to get a certain percentage of the 965 back or...?

My bf bought me a purse in Amsterdam at LV a few years ago but I didn’t really pay attention. Do you pay US tax on top of the 965 pounds and then get your refund? Really I want to know how much I’m gonna end up saving.