Its BEE season!

Something else to keep in mind...

This weekend I opened up my hive for inspection.
Basicallly, I took their house apart, and pulled the frames out one by one.

Here is the queen, marked in blue in the center of this frame.

So, we pulled their house apart, and pulled the queen out of her nice dark bedroom, and you can see that they are all just going about their business.

:heart:

DD and I got "pinged" a couple of times, and yes, a bee got under her shirt and she got stung. One time, and it was at the end, and if she had had her shirt tucked in (like i told her :P) she would not have.

Attachments

• box open.jpg
    box open.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 122
  • queen bee april 15.jpg
    queen bee april 15.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 124
These pictures make me itch!

You are a brave woman.

Thanks for this...I always wondered what he would do with a bee situation. Amazing that he is a master of all trades....at least I hope he is.

Moving a hive from a wall where they pretty much go hog wild into a set of frames neatly organized is no easy task. Think messy comb, rubber bands, sharp knives, honey everywhere, irritated bees :P

Yes, he and his brother have been stung many, many times by many, many things. I'm pretty sure that actual beekeepers helped move the hive. It was massive - several feet wide by several feet tall.

I am fascinated with bees. I always thank them when they are in my yard pollinating my flowers. I turn on the misters and watch them drink water. I rescue them from pools and puddles. I am a bee freak.
Thats so awesome you are taking a class. Thanks for helping them out! They really need everyone to do their part. So important to the whole environment and food chain.

I learned a lot about "robber" bees. We have a little place in the desert and one visit we found a huge hive under our eave. I called a beekeeper and he proceeded to capture the bees when suddenly another swarm (the robbers) descended on all the bees that were being transferred and a huge war between the swarms began. Bees began to drop onto the yard by the dozens. It was very sad because we couldn't tell who was winning. The beekeeper explained to us these "robbers" are bees who do not build their own hives but go around and steal others. They find an established hive and kill all the bees in it. Don't know what they do to the queen! Perhaps kidnap her? :P
Bees are just amazing creatures. They even have criminals!

I learned a lot about "robber" bees. We have a little place in the desert and one visit we found a huge hive under our eave. I called a beekeeper and he proceeded to capture the bees when suddenly another swarm (the robbers) descended on all the bees that were being transferred and a huge war between the swarms began. Bees began to drop onto the yard by the dozens. It was very sad because we couldn't tell who was winning. The beekeeper explained to us these "robbers" are bees who do not build their own hives but go around and steal others. They find an established hive and kill all the bees in it. Don't know what they do to the queen! Perhaps kidnap her? :P
Bees are just amazing creatures. They even have criminals!

That would be amazing, and sad to see.

We were doing honey extraction last week and the instructor said we needed to stop and to a cleanup because bees were starting to come around, and that much honey could start a robbing frenzy. Its like they turn into a pack. They could end up robbing each others colonies and she said its awful, bee balls everywhere, dead bees as you said. Its like when there is a riot and looters just steal stuff they dont even need! Anyway, we hosed down the place and got ourselves reorganized and it was all good.

No bees were harmed in the harvesting of that honey :heart:
And no bees were stuck in it when we brought it to the site. I know some people thing harvesting it is cruel, and I know there are some unethical pratices, but our group leaves plenty for the bees, and is careful not to injure them or transport them with the honey combs....

but gotta watch for robbers!! :ninja: :police:

Do the "robbers" try to kill the queen too? Or do they only care about the hive and honey?

They really only want the honey, they will make a mess of the hive and steal the honey. But they will kill any bee in their way, including the queen. Its a mess because the bees are sending out alarm pheremone and being attacked and sometimes the queen gets caught in it. I hear it is pretty scary to see this happen.

Here is a description..
http://www.voiceofthehive.com/VotH/4_1_Voice_of_the_Hive-When_Robbers_Come_Calling.htm

^thanks Caitlin. Yes, please sign that. Honestly what is happening with Big Agriculture is just horrifying.

Bees are the tip of the iceberg, canary in the coal mine.

I appreciate you sharing this :heart:

:cool:

Thanks for such a great thread!! :biggrin:

I am scared of pretty much anything that goes BZZZZZZ in my ear. Even if I don't know what it is, I get scared. If I can see the bee, then I'm not as scared.

Wasps and hornets scare the crap out of me though. Been stung a couple of times. OUCH!!!

I wonder how a bee is chosen to be the queen??

Welcome to bee class!!! ::biggrin:

She is not really chosen from the other bees, she is actually "created."

What happens is that when the colony feels the need for a queen, for example if the current queen is older, injured, not laying eggs, not sending out strong pheromones; or, if the hive is overcrowded and preparing to swarm, the worker bees construct larger cells in the hive and they will raise a queen from the egg deposited in that cell by the existing queen.

Usually at about three days the egg hatches, and the nurse bees begin feeding that larvae (sometimes several) more royal jelly than the rest. These super larvae are given slightly bigger quarters, and when they chew their way out, they are virgin queens.

If the hive is preparing to swarm, the old queen will take off with part of it, leaving the unhatched virgin queen cell (or cells) in place. This group will look for a new home.

When the virgin queen(s) hatch in the remaining hive, if there are more than one they will fight it out, and the victorious one will make a mating flight after a few days, and return ready to lay fertilized eggs, all of which will become female worker bees. You can imagine the bummer if she doesnt make it back, her hive is queenless and no more bees will be born unless there is another queen cell underway. This is a really dangerous time for the hive, it is also common for robber bees to come as well, the population is down and the bees are vulnerable.

She can also withhold the sperm and lay unfertilized eggs, which will grow to be male drones, whose only job is to fly several miles from the hive and mate with another virgin queen one day.

If the queens are replacing the old queen for whatever reason, and not making a swarm, the new queens will basically locate each other by making calling to one another within the hive, and fight it out until only one remains. Then either she or the workers will kill off the old queen. Sometimes they leave her alive--there are documented hives with two queens, usually one is stronger.

The queen is the only one that can sting repeatedly, which makes sense because otherwise no one woule ever "win" the queen wars. The drones have no stinger at all, and the workers all lose their stinger when they sting, and they die.

Its really fascinating.

Its really important for the beekeeper to check the hive for signs of a healthy queen---either new eggs, or the queen herself. If she is injured, or missing, we have to make sure there is another queen ready to hatch, or get ready to get one from a friend, or buy one!

Usually they return from the mating flight, but if they dont, your hive is doomed if a new queen cannot be found or raised either artificially in a special tiny plastic cup to encourage the nurse bees to make the queen.

Everytime we find the queen in a hive it is always a big sigh of relief!

Sometimes you can hear virgin queens calling to one another, or if you buy queens from a queen rearing company, they will call to each other from their little cages in the fedex box!! Its called "piping" and its almost always A# or G#, one long toot and three short ones. Crazy!!!