Its BEE season!

I love having bees in my garden. Here in WA they are all year round and I have some autumn flowering lilly pilly's that they love. Autumn mornings wouldn't be the same without the humming noise of busy bees. I also let some of my winter veggie crops go to flower just to keep them coming back, so in the summer they will come and pollinate my crops of Cucurbitaceaes.

I especially love seeing our native bees called blue banded bees, hovering around my garden. They are so pretty with their blue stripes. This is a picture of one, but not from me (I'm never quick enough) - australiangeographic.com.au

Attachments

• blue-banded-bee.jpg
    blue-banded-bee.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: Violet Bleu
One of your little devils got me between the toes this morning and I ain't the least bit pleased! Walking through the yard I apparently scooped him off some clover between my sandal and foot and he went to town on me. I know they're only supposed to be able to hit once, but I swear it was three or four times before I shook him out.

Hurt like a major Mutha! Still watching it for redness and swelling but it's the underside of the second toe, so it's hard to examine.
Ouch… my oath it smarts.

This is what my Bennett's toes looked like after he stepped on a bee while we were playing in the garden, a while ago now. But boy did he jump around like a cat possessed, and it his little pads went bright pink and hot. Poor little button.

Attachments

• boys 040.jpg
    boys 040.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 47
I watched a programme about honey bees the other night. Im going in search of plants that the little bees like to put under my window, I like bees and would be happy to have them hanging from a tree!

It was definitely a Honeybee. Poor thing got the worst end of the encounter too. Kind of felt bad for it's passing. :sad:

No lasting effect though .... for me. No swelling or redness. Now if it had been one of those red wasps we have so many of, I may not be walking today.

I love having bees in my garden. Here in WA they are all year round and I have some autumn flowering lilly pilly's that they love. Autumn mornings wouldn't be the same without the humming noise of busy bees. I also let some of my winter veggie crops go to flower just to keep them coming back, so in the summer they will come and pollinate my crops of Cucurbitaceaes.

I especially love seeing our native bees called blue banded bees, hovering around my garden. They are so pretty with their blue stripes. This is a picture of one, but not from me (I'm never quick enough) - australiangeographic.com.au

what a beautiful bee! those blue stripes are amazing. for some reason they're reminding me of your opals.

Hey frick! I just saw this. I have had a LOT of changes since I started this thread. My bees are doing well, but they are being taken care of by another beekeeper. I have moved away from the US and where I live, I cannot keep bees (well, I could, but they would be out on the street foraging for things I would not like to know about, like soda!).

Those little rascals were a TON of work, and as much as I loved beeing a beekeeper, I am really enjoying knowing I can get amazing honey from other folks! I still plant for pollinators and encourage others to do so too.

Also, where I live now we have hummingbirds, which I love! We did not have them where I was before in Hawaii, so that is a great treat!

Bee happy!

Reactions: frick&frack
Hey frick! I just saw this. I have had a LOT of changes since I started this thread. My bees are doing well, but they are being taken care of by another beekeeper. I have moved away from the US and where I live, I cannot keep bees (well, I could, but they would be out on the street foraging for things I would not like to know about, like soda!).

Those little rascals were a TON of work, and as much as I loved beeing a beekeeper, I am really enjoying knowing I can get amazing honey from other folks! I still plant for pollinators and encourage others to do so too.

Also, where I live now we have hummingbirds, which I love! We did not have them where I was before in Hawaii, so that is a great treat!

Bee happy!

I'm sorry to hear that, but I understand. I hope you're enjoying your new country & home, & that you & your family are doing well.

I watch the honey bees in my garden most evenings, & they make me think of you & your bees.