Its BEE season!

I posted this in Home and Garden, but here is information on the Waggle Dance if anyone is interested.
I think its fascinating that in the pitch black beehive she can remember where the sun is outside and communicate to her sisters, basically by feel, vibration, etc.

275px-Bee_dance.png

Here is a really short video

The top picture is a brand new baby bee just crawling out of her cell (right hand side

:love:
Happy Birthday!!

The either two are depositing the nectar in the cells.

In the second picture, you can see the Queen with the yellow mark indicating she was born this year....Also, you can see the cells with the pollen in them. The queen always moves around the hive with her little entourage, they fan her and move the other bees back so she doesnt get injured, etc. She really is the business....:P

Attachments

• DSC02374.JPG
    DSC02374.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC02368.JPG
    DSC02368.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 178
I posted this in Home and Garden, but here is information on the Waggle Dance if anyone is interested.
I think its fascinating that in the pitch black beehive she can remember where the sun is outside and communicate to her sisters, basically by feel, vibration, etc.
^they're just so incredible!

^how heartbreaking

I saw a bee yesterday and freaked out. I'm not going to lie...I hate bees lol I'm allergic to them, so it's not good if I get stung. Kudos to you for doing what you're doing tho!

I thought I would start this thread in GD because as it gets warmer people are going to start seeing bees around, and possibly swarms of honeybees.

I am currently taking beekeeping classes and working with a beekeeping mentor. I am just starting out but if anyone has any questions please post them here and I will try to help or find out any answers from my beekeeper colleagues :heart:

I know lots of people are afraid of bees, and I totally understand that.

But bees are declining worldwide, and you can tell from my siggy that I am trying to do my little part to help :heart:

We have a gardening for honeybees thread HERE in Home and Garden, and there is a link in signature with more information.

So ironic that I found this thread as my neighbors and I just discussed this very topic yesterday!! I would LOVE your thoughts and suggestions. I'm at a loss as to what to do:

Recently a couple neighbors realized that a vacant house in our neighborhood (I reckon foreclosed on) has about several hundred to thousands of bees centralizing on the second story the house. It also appears as if they've found a hole although we can not confirm. I also could have sworn I saw a hive in their tree in the front yard. This house has been vacant for about a year with no signs of the door, etc. We're very concerned as as have a lot of children who play in this area and some are highly allergic to bees.

We contacted our HOA - they can't do anything because it's not their property and not violating any HOA "rules." Code Enforcement can not touch this house and the city won't come out as the bee hives/swarms are not located near city-owned utility boxes or water lines. I checked public records to no avail but it appears that house may be bank-owned. I suspect I won't get anywhere real fast since no one will want to take responsibility of the beekeeper costs - HOA, the bank, homeowner, city, etc.

I'm at an impasse and would sincerely appreciate your assistance in helping our kids feel the sunshine and play outside again without the threat of having an allergic reaction.

We live in AZ btw. I don't know if they are honeybees or Africanized bees, though we do have Africanized bees here.

Many many TIA!!

I love bees! I used to rent an old Victorian house in London and still remember one evening when I heard a very strange noise coming from up the chimney. My cats were stationed at the bottom, whiskers quivering with excitement - when this HUGE bee came flying out, covered in soot. I don't think I've ever seen a bee that big. I grabbed a glass and a piece of card, got the bee into the glass and took it out into the garden to free it.
So sad that I hardly ever see them these days....

I'm at an impasse and would sincerely appreciate your assistance in helping our kids feel the sunshine and play outside again without the threat of having an allergic reaction.

We live in AZ btw. I don't know if they are honeybees or Africanized bees, though we do have Africanized bees here.

Contact your county Extension Service or state Agriculture department. They should have a listing of beekeepers in your area.

CobaltBlu, what a cool thread. I love bees and enjoy having them in the yard. Right now my cherry and apple trees are in bloom and getting lots of bee visitors. I've noticed several different kinds of bees too. I never use pesticides in my garden and find that nature takes care of most pest problems if everything is in balance.

Thanks for all this fascinating information, Cobalt!

I hope this belongs here, but . . . .

I've mentioned it before, but I want to say it again because they're still doing it, but Häagen-Daz is doing their part to help the bees by donating funds to honey bee research when we buy a pint made from bee built flavors.

This is the honey bee page on their website (and it's got a list of eligible flavors): http://www.helpthehoneybees.com/#home

OMG these pictures of swarms are freaking me out. I've never been stung - by anything - yet and hope to never bee!

There is a show in the US called "Billy The Exterminator" and he will exterminate anything and everything and always relocates the various "critters" (can be alligators, snakes, possums, foxes, you name it) when possible. One time, he moved a massive beehive that was inside the outer wall of a house rather than exterminating it.

Last edited:
I am sorry I did not see this earlier.
I can imagine that this is really stressful.

Are the bees still there? If they were congregating outside, it sounds as if a swarm was there. I guess by now they have either begun building the hive inside, or moved on. It may not be too late if it is a swarm, they will have only just begun if they decided to move in there.

The hive in the tree....is it a hive? or a swarm. A hive has structure, a swarm is a big ball of bees...The beekeeper will want to know the details on size, how high up it is, how long it has been there, and a contact number.

Honestly, probably the best thing to do is contact the beekeepers association nearest you. I know there are lots in arizona. The good news is that if it is a massive swarm it is probably not africanized bees because they swarm in small swarms, albeit more frequently than european bees. I am just guessing here, of course I cant say for sure but that is the more common situation.

A beekeeper can put up a swarm trap nearby and catch them without going on the property if they have not already taken up residence. If they have, then yes, the beekeeper will need the banks permission. It would be great if you could contact them anyway, just so they are aware of the situation and can head of the exterminator. You really dont want that. Even if they tent the house and kill every bee inside (:cry:smile: the returning foragers will be very aggressive. NOT GOOD!! A good beekeeper will return in the evening to collect all the stragglers.

If they have built a big hive in there, a beekeeper can still remove it and save it.

I know you are worried about the kids. Bees are like busy commuters. Once they figure out where they want to go, they take the quickest route there, and hopefully it is not across an area the kids play. If it is, you need to redirect the children until the thing can be taken care of.

Usually bees busy during a honey flow, like now in the spring are just super busy foraging and once they settle in they will be so busy building a new home that they are not likely to become aggressive if they are european bees.

Its bee season, so to be truthful even if there were no hive in that vacant house, there would still be bees around. If any of the children are highly allergic I would imagine that they have epi pens on hand and either a parent or caregiver on hand to use them safely. Lots of people have strong reactions to stings that are allergic in nature (swelling, etc) but are not anaphylactic/lifethreatening. The childrens parents will know which is which. Most people do not have this condition. Have childrens liquid benedryl on hand, and I swear also by Bach Rescue Remedy spray from the health food store! One spritz on the sting and three on the tongue and we are good to go.

Everybody needs to know the safe way to remove a sting, which is to scrape it off, not grab it, you may end up squeezing more venom into the sting. Also if someone is stung, they should know to quickly leave the area immediately. The bee releases an alarm pheromone when she stings/dies, and it is a signal. Rescue Remedy helps mask this, too.

images

The more you and the children know about bees and what to do if you are stung, the safer you are. Children and bees should be able to coexist as long as they are not Africanized bees

Good luck!

Many many TIA!!

OMG these pictures of swarms are freaking me out. I've never been stung - by anything - yet and hope to never bee!

There is a show in the US called "Billy The Exterminator" and he will exterminate anything and everything and always relocates the various "critters" (can be alligators, snakes, possums, foxes, you name it) when possible. One time, he moved a massive beehive that was inside the outer wall of a house rather than exterminating it.

Thanks for this...I always wondered what he would do with a bee situation. Amazing that he is a master of all trades....at least I hope he is.

Moving a hive from a wall where they pretty much go hog wild into a set of frames neatly organized is no easy task. Think messy comb, rubber bands, sharp knives, honey everywhere, irritated bees :P