Gilt Group

OP, i know how you feel. the same thing happened to me with their La Perla sale. not only did they describe the items incorrectly (said it was La Perla, but they were really La Perla's more affordable line), but they sold them for prices above the retail prices on Bloomies.

i have have yet to make a purchase from gilt because a lot of times i find the stores itself (like right now burberry prorsum) goes on sale its a LOT cheaper then gilt. so i don't really understand the concept except, for those who are too busy to catch the sale at the right time, or do not have access to those brands for the most part, because it isn't everywhere and online doesn't always carry it.

i am always amazed by how fast they sell some of the stuff out, but it must be returned later or something because then i see it again sometimes, when they do the 'last chance' thing.

i much prefer yoox, theoutnet, or any of the other alternatives (can't think right now) that TPF has advertising (or is it just because i frequent those places its up there?) and some of the not so known sites..i'm sure they'll blow up eventually causing me to hope for some other online retailers to pop up..

but yeah, this is not a big surprise to me, but i'm a bit of a cynic and have worked retail so i sort of know how this game goes.

i am sure there are other people who aren't as aware, that would appreciate this OP.

Thank you ladies! I appreciate your feedback. :smile:

I've only purchased a Marc by Marc Jacobs dress from Gilt because it was an item from a past season that I wouldn't have been able to get anywheres else. That's a shame you weren't able to get much of a deal on the jewelry, but reading your experience is going to have me make sure to check prices before I buy from them again.

^^ It wasn't rude or insulting. You took it that way, and it's really too bad that you seem to automatically interpret things in the most negative fashion. You completely mistook what I was saying.

this is why you have to be an informed consumer. I know most of the time we get caught up in the buying frenzy and don't realize until later, that Gilt purchases really aren't deals at all.

It's considered a sale to Gilt, so they stand by their business practice. Can't be mad at them though...

ditto!!!!!

the consumer is responsible for knowing whether or not she's getting a good deal.

The retailer is responsible for making as much $$$ as they can.

^^ It wasn't rude or insulting. You took it that way, and it's really too bad that you seem to automatically interpret things in the most negative fashion. You completely mistook what I was saying.

^ ITA. Sometimes when people ask questions, they only want to hear one thing: every opinion that agrees with them...

Aren't we jumping to conlclusions here? You speak as if you know me. Many other people have made constructive comments that differ from my opinion. Both of you made comments to the effect of "oh well, don't shop there if you don't like it" or "can't be mad at them." I still believe those comments are not constructive.

And yes, jenaywins, your comments were/are rude and insulting. Its a shame that you cant see that and continue to launch insults.

By all means possible?

as long as they are not breaking any laws, IMO yes.

I do agree that they might be misrepresenting what "retail" is and it's not good for business in the long run to have people feel they were not given their money's worth .....they just lost you and probably a few other people as customers as a result of this.. so even though they have the right to price their goods as they want, they should be smarter about it if they want to get repeat business and build a loyal customer base...I won't do business with anyone a second time if I don't think I was treated fairly the first time.. So I am totally with you there.

but in the end, it is up to us to know what the retail price really is and decide where to spend our money.

I noticed that the pricing on the House of Harlow event wasn't discounted. I was looking at some shoes, but found they were the same price as Shopbop. I prefer to buy shoes somewhere with easy returns anyway.

I think you always have to do your homework before purchasing anything online, because many sites exaggerate the retail price. I've noticed that with the past few purchases I've made with Amazon, even though I really like them. I usually do a search to see which places carry the item I want, and compare the prices. And I always factor shipping and return policy into my decision as well.

Bottom line is the only one interested in whether or not you get the best deal possible is you yourself.

I noticed that the pricing on the House of Harlow event wasn't discounted. I was looking at some shoes, but found they were the same price as Shopbop. I prefer to buy shoes somewhere with easy returns anyway.

I think you always have to do your homework before purchasing anything online, because many sites exaggerate the retail price. I've noticed that with the past few purchases I've made with Amazon, even though I really like them. I usually do a search to see which places carry the item I want, and compare the prices. And I always factor shipping and return policy into my decision as well.

Bottom line is the only one interested in whether or not you get the best deal possible is you yourself.

the House of Harlow event wasn't advertised as a sale. Gilt was used as another retail outlet to purchase the pieces.

:confused1:

Gilt has extremely easy returns. I've even had them refund my Visa in lieu of store credit several times.