Gilt Group

Thanks! I did a search before I posted and didn't see that one.

In that instance, the buyer still got a discount. In my instance, I paid retail. Had I known, I would have bought it at Bloomingdales.com for the sale price and would have had the luxury of returning it if I didn't like it. Oh well, live and learn. After calling CS I got discounted shipping. Wahoo...(note the sarcasm).;)

They all (gilt, rue-la-la, beyond the rack) exagerate the prices. They did say that the House of Harlow stuff would be regular price tho on the site before they opened the sale. But I kind of agree as this is the first time I have seen them do that.

I remember the HOH1960 sale...they had the Gilt prices, with the retail prices lined out. But they were the same number.

I think it was intended to be an intro to HOH1960's spring line, and not like their usual "sample" sales.

I remember the HOH1960 sale...they had the Gilt prices, with the retail prices lined out. But they were the same number.

I think it was intended to be an intro to HOH1960's spring line, and not like their usual "sample" sales.

Their CS agent claimed they had a disclaimer that the prices were not discounted so I asked the CS rep to send me a screen shot of that. After five minutes on hold she came back to tell me that she was mistaken and there was no disclaimer.

I will buy something from Gilt, if I've done the research and know what original retail was and what sale prices are elsewhere. My last purchase was a watch that I had been looking at for 2 years . CD Peacock carried it and I knew the retail, had looked everywhere and still have not seen it for a price that could even compete with Gilt. In that case it was a no brainer but it was also a big investment peice. For the most part I really like them and have never had anything but great service from them. I'd just do my research before buying because I have seen things cheaper elsewhere.

. There is hardly time to do any research before pruchasing as there is always such a frenzy and things get snapped up fast. ::mad:

This is exactly why I stay away from these flash sales. I'd rather take my time, do research and get exactly what I want, even if the price is higher. I feel panicky whenever there is a no return policy.

I think that the buyer needs to research before using these type of flash sale sites. I have been able to get some REALLY good deals on Gilt and Hautelook, but before I buy anything I research and understand exactly what I am purchasing. I know what retail is before the sale even starts, and if unsure, I place it in my cart and double check.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, these sites prey on the limited quantity aspect, which is what drives the consumer to make a quick decision to purchase a product that they haven't researched. The individual feels like they will be missing out since there are only a few limited quantities, hence why these sites do so well. The only thing I can suggest would be to put an item in your basket and then take your 15 mins that you have before the cart empties itself and do some online comparison shopping to see if there is a better price for the item.

As for the discrepancy over the word sale, not only does it mean the ability to purchase goods at a discounted price, but it also refers to the exchange of goods or services for an amount of money or its equivalent. In some cases, such as the HOH sale, Gilt merely acts as the medium for you to get your purchase since they are not discounting the item. I could be wrong, but I don't see a claim anywhere on their website that they're selling items at a discounted rate. This is implied, due to the flash sale aspect of the site, but I don't see a single thing posted on their website that they offer items for a discounted rate. This could have been up before, but I don't see it now.

I used to buy from Gilt as well. I got duped with a Furla bag that I bought from them... found them somewhere $30-$40 less. Argh. I now limit myself to the sale sections of Neiman Marcus, Saks, and Bergdorf. Though I spent a little bit more, I can sleep at night knowing I can return something if I don't find them pretty in the morning.

I don't know about that specific sale, but I know they've had some exclusive to Gilt or similar style sales where they weren't ON sale but were instead FOR sale at an exclusive time or exclusive styles to Gilt.